Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Shampooing and conditioning in reverse - have you tried it?

209 posts, 107 members
First Lady
957 posts
Hey!

So the other day whilst researching (ok shopping) I read an article about swapping the order you use your shampoo and conditioner.

Essentially the theory is that a rinse will not remove enough of the conditioner residue leaving hair dull/lifeless/weighed down. 

This article recommended thoroughly wetting your hair, applying conditioner to the mid lengths and ends, run a wide tooth comb or Tangle Teezer through, leave for 3 - 5 mins.  You then rinse the conditioner out, THEN shampoo and rinse again.

So despite being thoroughly unconvinced of reversing 25 (ok 29) years of shampooing and then conditioning I gave it a go.

My world hath been rocked.  Seriously - I left my hair to dry naturally and it was much smoother and felt just as soft as usual.  But the real kicker was when I went to straighten it this morning, I've never straightened my mane so easily or effectively, presumably due to less residue from product on my hair!

Anyway, I felt the need to share - has anyone else tried this?

:)

I confessed in a forum yesterday to accidently conditioning, then shampooing my hair.  hahah but then I conditioned again  :-)   I am going to give this a whirl tonight so I can let my big mane dry naturally.  Will keep you posted. x
1139 posts
This sounds absolutely bizarre to me but I'll give anything a go - I'll be trying this next time I wash my hair!
Cat
474 posts
Sounds interesting and worth a go! 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I haven't tried this unless a hair masque or oil bath or homemade hair treatment that  you're suppose to shampoo out counts. I did I read an article the other day about this. I will give it a go I have Lush's Hsuan Wen Hua Hair Moisturizer which would go brilliantly with this technique.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
That makes sense. Another new thing to try thank you.
I knew to swap what shampoos you use so it doesn't build up. So I throw head & shoulders through every few weeks. 
Bird
231 posts
Sounds bizarre alright, I henna'd my hair last week, so been doing a ton load of research about how to look after it properly. I also came across this, and various "no-poo" (not my thing though lol) blogs and such and vinegar rinsing.
I came across something that said shampoo was invented sometime around one of the wars (before that they just used plain soap) and it turned out a bit too harsh alone so they made up conditioner around the 50's or something lol. Don't quote me on that my short term memorys awful lol, and ofc who knows how true that is. Better to ask Nana haha.
I have an argan & coconut shampoo bar arriving hopefully tomorow, it looks to be super conditioning so I may be able to cut out seperate conditioner completely. For the last 2 days I've been shampooing, then replacing conditioner with a homemade herbal vinegar rinse and so far I think I like it better without the conditioner ...... I don't have to wash my hair tonight at all its actually not greasy for once o.0 first time ever lol - I've always gone crazy with the conditioner.
So now this reverse washing thing really makes more sense to me, surprisingly enough I thought I'd end up all frizzy and wirey but so far its really good without the ordinary conditioner. I'd be interested to hear anyone elses's results with this reverse washing thing.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I've never heard of this and am super keen to try it!!!
sarah26
33 posts
I think I read the same article.  After reading your results I am so going to try! You hear so many different things about hair care in particular. I was told by my local shampoo plus that good shampoo shouldn't foam (pretty sure that means it is laurel sulphate free) but my hairdresser told me no and that I should be rinsing and repeating with my shampoo.  So it foams alot and feels skeaky clean. Anyone have opinions on this? 
Bird
231 posts
My opinion (you asked xD) is I'd ignore your hairdresser lol. I've never rinsed then repeated I've always found once is enough and feel any more would just strip my hair too much, I also agree with the lack of foam being better. But thats just my opinion :)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Wouldn't shampooing twice damage hair? And strip out colour way quicker (if you coloured of course)
Might be good for the hairdresser so you have more cuts and colours? ;p
raniwelsh
104 posts
wow I have never heard of this technique before and will certainly be trying it. I barely shampoo my hair anyway (maybe twice a week) beuauce its so fine and feels horrible if I do shampoo more often than that. Thanks for the info !
chikoboo
3402 posts
Not heard of that, but I'm keen to give it a go, only shampoo twice a week as it is but I'll do a reverse tomorrow and see how my hair turns out, thanks for sharing with us :)
Chaotic82
522 posts
Might have to give it a try.  I always feel conditioner weighs my hair down too much
PeterPan
76 posts
This seems crazy but your explanation makes sense, Nat. My hair does sometimes feel kinda like there is a build up of product in it and I hardly use anything except for shampoo and conditioner. I might wait and see if other people do it and how they find it before I give it a go myself.
Trace
38 posts
I do this fairly often. I have very fine, straight hair and I've found that when I condition last my hair tends to become lank quite quickly as it leaves product and contributes to build-up. Conditioning first means the shampoo gets rid of the extra conditioner. When shampooing, I need to use less and it seems to foam better and rinse out better.
g1ggles2
358 posts
I am totally prepared to give it ago.
Im not a fan of shampooing because of my damaged ends & feel like it drys them out unless I leave my conditioner on for a really long time which in turn makes my hair limp. So definitely interested to see what effect this has for me!
First Lady
957 posts
Ooo this is exciting, it's like an 'off the books' trial team :p

I just can't do the no-poo.  It's just not in me. You might as well try to take my diet coke away from me.  It just ain't gonna happen!

And I don't shampoo twice - only because when I have in the past it's like a foam-overload and takes forever to rinse.  Ain't nobody got time for that!

I've been in the daily hair wash trap - and with ri-donk-ulously thick hair, a 16 month old and being part of the Beauty Crew I have to break this cycle if only to save time in the day!

So I have not washed/conditioned in reverse my hair since last night - normally it would feel a bit icky, but even though I was heavily hairsprayed today (I've since brushed it out) my hair doesn't feel that rank.  I wonder if this is because there's less conditioner build up?

Can't wait to see if other ladies get the results - one tip - really rinse out the shampoo.  I used to figure if I didn't get all the shampoo on the first rinse, I would while rinsing the conditioner; so I had to remind myself to make the final rinse really good!

BR Nat xx
chikoboo
3402 posts
Oh no Nat, we would never try to take your diet coke off you lol.

The whole shampoo, rinse, then shampoo again I swear was created by a great salesperson to sell more shampoo and its just stuck,  as the poo will just build up and add weight that will pull your hair down.  Its in the same league as McDonalds phase of do you want fries with that? that was created by some bigwigs and makes the company extra millions a year. 

Bird
231 posts
I just tried a reverse wash tonight (with ecostore).... my hairs almost dried now. I guess its ok, but I think to be honest I prefer just shampoo  then vinegar rinse lol! that seems so weird. The conditioner actually felt yuck after going without for a few days lol. I get a pretty oily scalp generally so I guess I never really needed as much conditioner as I had been using..... although without it my ends get horrid, but not with the vinegar. go figure lol!!!! My shampoo bar should be here tomorow so thats my next to do :)
RachelM
345 posts
Okey Dokey due for a hair wash Tuesday so will try the reverse, Nat you had me at "I've never straightened my mane so easily or effectively" lol
vh
9 posts
Hmmm never thought of this. Great post - will try soon!
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I will definitely be trying this! Anything that makes my hair easier to control is a win with me. The only reason I'm slightly skeptical is that it often seems to be the shampoo that makes my hair tangled and in need to conditioner in the first place. I can't wait to see how everyone else gets on xx
First Lady
957 posts
Ok - with so many people joining in the Beauty Crew might have to do a write up on this!

So if you're willing to give it a go (maybe for a couple of weeks?) then please keep us posted on this thread - I will too!

Now I just have to fight every impulse in me to NOT shampoo or condition my hair (in any order) first thing tomorrow.  I mean seriously it has only been 28 hours since my hair was washed and it's playing on my mind - even though my hair feels and looks fine.  Cuckoo.  Cuckoo.

x

P.S - Chikoboo - I am seriously considering cutting out the D.C (or the Dan Carter as my husband calls it), but, true love lasts a lifetime :p
Jesse
745 posts
I'm keen to give this a go! I normally wash my hair every few days, so must give this a go tomorrow night. Interesting experiment at least!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
First thing in the morning I'm trying for sure! Bird What's the vinegar rinse you speak of? 
HouseOdBanana
350 posts
This sounds very interesting, I need to try this out!
isemonger
224 posts
Zomg! Guess who has a date with the shower tonight!

Is it bad that I am stupidly excited to try this? Totally doing this before Game of thrones tonight.... Night sorted!
First Lady
957 posts
isemonger (it feels wrong calling you that) - you beauty!!

I knew there was something about April 6th, I was racking my brains.  GAME OF THRONES.  I feel our evenings will be much the same!

sarah26
33 posts
Thanks for the opinions re. shampoo, rinse repeat. It seems to me that shampooing twice is a whole waste of shampoo and time.  Especially when my hair feels clean after one shampoo, it does feel like I am stripping valuable oils! Tonight  I am trying condition first, yes I am weirdly excited too!  Will report back my findings :)
1139 posts
Oh no you guys just reminded me about Game of Thrones - it's the last week of term for uni and all of my assignments are due in, so I'm not allowed to have any fun this week :( Maybe I can sneak in a little study break and watch the new episode... ;)
Bird
231 posts
Well now that its morning & I'm almost ready to leave the house I gotta say, after the reverse wash I'm having a good hair day lol. I might just try this for a couple of weeks. We'll see lol.

Farmerswife, I found it on google lol, just some apple cider vinegar with rosemary & lavender steeped in it, I also added essential oil & a little red wine vinegar cos its red lol. Does wonders for shine anyway, and doesn't smell once its dried incase your wondering hehe
chikoboo
3402 posts
Did the reverse washing of my hair this morning, was a bit scary at first as after I had rinsed out the shampoo my hair turned very dry and squeaked (which I know is a good sign as it means its clean, but as it squeaked hair came out with it)  It just felt a bit like straw as if I hadn't conditioned it at all.  Salvaging my hair I quickly spritzed with my leave in condition and rubbed through my curl cream, leaving it to dry naturally as normal.

That was 3 hours ago and now as I sit at my desk I have to say it looks like a good hair day is to be had, even with the rain pouring outside in the mist which normally means my hair turns into a mass of frizz that just wont sit in pretty curls.

So far so good on the whole reverse method, almost makes me want to say happy Monday, but Monday it is nevertheless lol :)
isemonger
224 posts
Natalie :) I am sooooo glad you are also a throne lover! And tonight's ep is going to be amazing!!!!! Eeeeeekkk! Hopefully this is the season King Joffrey dies.... (still bitter about Ned)

Elena - It is very important to have study breaks ;) especially at 8:30 tonight I think it's very important hahaha

xx

(Not to mention the fact the show right after it also looks amazing I think it is called coven? American horror story? It's supposed to be like witches or that movie the craft? Yay for monday goodies!)
kirstysays
762 posts
Totally forgot about Game of Thrones!  Gotta watch that today!!!!!
Mila
1209 posts
Ahh i love new things like this to try.  I learn so much from this site .. I tried the no poo thing I lasted a month but I think it just made my colour flat especially as its already a dirty blonde. It felt great but lacked lustre !. 

Definately keen to try this it makes sense........

im a little excited to reverse wash my hair - I feel I may need t google this and see what I can find :)
Bayley
238 posts
Tried this technique out last night! Definitely feels less residuey so i'm excited to see if it means I can go without washing it for longer.
makeupmonkey
11 posts
Hi, not related to the hair part of the thread although it definitely sounds like an interesting concept. 
Great to see everyone is excited about GoT (I am too), but please be considerated of those who haven't read the books and don't have Sky TV (so have to wait for the DVD).  Spoilers aren't cool.
Bayley
238 posts
Isemonger, Coven is super good! All the American Horror Stories are :)
isemonger
224 posts
staceyb - My appoligies (I have not read the books and I do not know what is going to happen. I just know tonight's are going to be amazing because it's Game of throne's and how could it not be?) the only spoiler I said was from season one (which is out on dvd) - so for that I am truly sorry, I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's experience! But honestly I have no idea what happens (I just have a secret hope that certain members of the show die)

Bec2293 - Amazing!! I will defiantly watch it tonight then! I had no idea they had other series so I will investigate.

Ps. Did anyone get to see the statue that was in aotea square over the weekend? I saw it in stuff but never made it as I sadly had work (boo)

And more on the hair note - For those doing this did you find your hair hard to brush? Weird question but I am just wondering if I should be extra careful? Looking forward to my good hair day ;)
Angell
182 posts
Okay, so I have to wash hair tomorrow morning and will try it this way around. And then after washing / conditioning my hair for the week in the "reversed" order, I will go through the trouble of straitening it over the weekend and see how it all goes..... Best of luck to everybody doing this :)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I've washed my hair reverse this morning.
conditioned first & ran a comb through, then shampooed. I have the tangle teezer so was easy to brush after. My hair has now dried and gosh!! It feels so soft!

I'm due for a hair cut and my ends have been driving me nuts! Decided to get it all cut off. But today I'm thinking I'm keeping the length as the ends have not frizzed with do this.
Hubby (a farmer) stood behind me running his fingers through my hair saying how soft it felt.

I use a salon brand shampoo & conditioner that only needs a small amount to be used.
I haven't added any hair product at all.

Thanks for the tip!!
Bird
231 posts
Isemonger - surprisingly it wasn't hard to comb my hair, I have very thick hair too, and usually its a pain in the butt if I hadn't conditioned. I guess just be careful when ya lather up with shampoo not to "swirl" too much lol. It feels knotty when I'm still in the shower but by the time I take the towel off my head and go to comb its sweet as :)
I got a compliment already this morning on my hair hahaha! "its not so "big"" aparently hahaha, Think I'll keep up the reverse for a bit longer :)

Omg Joffery is such a little dickhead!!! LOL my mother already spoiled about Ned before Id ever seen it, even though I expected it I was still so shocked... damn that show is good lol. I really loved American Horror story too, my impatience has already lead to a gigantic binge watch of Coven..... No spoilers here!!! but its a great fun season :D I love that lead actress Jessica Lange she's freakin awesome lol.
isemonger
224 posts
Bird - Thank you!! I will be extra careful to to swirl my hair into a mess! :)
pintsize
1072 posts
I am sooo going to try this... I don't do the daily poo anyway (OMG that just sounds wrong haha)
but I am also wondering if different brand shampoos etc will have an impact on the results?

now I wont feel so bad about my baby brain moments from when I was pregnant last and used the conditioner instead of the shampoo lol

LOL, what would happen BR Nat if we took the DC away?  (missing hand anyone) :p
It's ok we would replace it with Chocolate and cocktails ;)
Cindyb
3 posts
Oo I am going to try this never thought or hearx of this before. Will let u know how it goes with my hair. :)
xjayloux
900 posts
Will definitely be giving this a go! Anything in my quest for better and smoother looking hair! 
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Oooo Im going to try this in a couple of nights! I find my hair is frizzy rather than weighed down though. 
MrsLissy
301 posts
I'm going to give this a go! I need to wash my hair tomorrow morning hopefully I don't forget to do it in the wrong order.
kirstysays
762 posts
I suppose that sort of makes sense....interesting.  Might give it a go :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!