Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Itchy flakey scalp!

19 posts, 16 members
Filoaha
67 posts
My mum is having a dreadful time at the moment, her scalp has started going very red and flakey and it's been coming down onto her forehead as well, and apparently it's really itchy.

She's sure that it's the shampoo that's caused it as she no longer colours her hair, she usually just uses shampoo purchased from the supermarket dove/patene etc. 

She has been using the Neutrogena T gel shampoo (I think that's what its called?) which has helped a little bit, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has any recommendations or ideas that I could pass on?

tannygirl
3392 posts
Okay the best shampoo and conditioner I have come across for a dry itchy flakey scalp is A'kin's Very Gentle Shampoo and Conditioner. Another good shampoo is the Heali Kiwi from Sorbet, I use that fairly regularly and haven't had lots of dandruff or a lot of flakes for ages, I'm sure if I scratch my scalp some flakes will come out but not as much as it used to be. Another home remendy to soothe and reduce the flakes is to soak oats in water for about twenty minutes squeeze them and let the water all milky. Add a few drops of lavender oil, pour that over your scalp and massage it in like shampoo, can let it sit for a few minutes if you want and then rinse it out. I did that with my dry, flakey itchy scalp prior to discovering A'kin's Very Gentle Shampoo. I hope this helps.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
she could have developed a form of dermatitis or psoriasis of the scalp, it's something that can just appear out of nowhere or a sudden food allergy that causes it to happen.
so quite possibly not the shampoo or hair colouring and can be a total nightmare to cure just trying to get it under control
oh hope it's easily sorted x
Filoaha
67 posts
Thank you guys for such a quick response! I've put in a sample bar order at sorbet and I've included the heali kiwi as an option so that I can pass that on to her. 

I will let her know about the oat/water idea! She could be keen to try that one out as well.
Macs
5351 posts
Hi there, I would go into your local pharmacy to ask them what types of treatments they have for this. They might have some good advice. I normally go to mine.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
You can get a shampoo from the chemist without a prescription.

I've had this problem caused by yucky ingredients in shampoos. I'd suggest the ginger shampoo from body ship. Or a lush one. There is a body shower gel honey I washed the kids that you can wash your hair with as well. I've been using the lush stout shampoo at the moment and havent had any itching at all
Ngahew
152 posts
Coconut oil is the best, in my opinion. There are so many fantastic positives to using it.
Danni
324 posts
I get something similar! I wash my hair every other day becuase I have long hair it's such a chore to wash it frequently and whn I do my shampoo makes my skalp itch and flake. I think it is because the chemicals are to harsh but I'm yet to pick something up. It could be as easy as changing shampoo or she may need to be prescribed something for it! Good luck :)
Lush has a few awesome products for dry flacky scalps, They have a solid shampoo and a balm as well.
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
If it turns into an ongoing issue rather than a reaction it might be worth taking Evening Primrose or Fish Oil supplements xx
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yes my friend had a reaction to a conditioner and she went to Lush for advice. They gave her a huge sample of trichomania solid shampoo and the superbalm. It cleared it up in no time and she's still going on the sample. 
MareeB
5239 posts
I'm with Ngahew, coconut oil is great.

My scalp was burning and my hair was falling out, and it turned out to be my thyroid so your Mum might want to consider something internal going on? Scalp issues are also a menopausal symptom, especially itching / dry scalp. The other thing I did (besides coconut/olive oil) was to wash my hair only with white vinegar, it's very soothing and doesn't leave any smell even if you don't rinse it out, and it leaves your hair very clean and soft. She can't lose anything by giving it a shot.

It takes a long time for these issues to become evident so she may have to perservere for a while for it to clear. I hope she finds the best solution  for her xx
MareeB
5239 posts
Filoaha how is your Mum getting on? Did she try some of the suggestions from the BR beauties?
Ringy
825 posts
Apple Cider Vinegar helps itchy and flakey scalps. Although if she has been scratching it might sting! I'd dilute a bit first with water but it definitely works. 
LinF
63 posts
My husband used germolene. Stopped the itching and flaking immediately.
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
I too have this problem and have found that it's the harsh chemicals in shampoos and conditioners so my scalp is too sensitive.  I use the Lush solid shampoo bar called soak and float it smells a bit like burnt wood but then I just use American Cream conditioner to balance out the smell.  This has helped untold with the flaking and the itching is minimal.  Thank you for the rest of the suggestions ladies I am going to give some of these a try too x
Julieal
915 posts
I have this at the back of my scalp and the chemist gave me a cortison cream which really helps -I would like to try some of the chemical free shampoos too as I think  this may be the possible cause.
vintage_ink
42 posts
Ouchies!! Poor Lass, doctors first. Heal before adding anything else to it. How is her scalp now? I hope she has some relief asap!
Julieal
915 posts
in the interim get your Mum to use virgin coconut oil -It releaves the itching and takes the flakeness away

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!