Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Hair care : Dry dandruff prone scalp + Oily hair

7 posts, 5 members
Dii
16 posts
Hello everyone !

I am not sure if any of you have a similar condition but here goes.

I have quite thick and straight hair , with a dry dandruff prone scalp. But my hair usually after a couple of days gets pretty oily, so I have to make sure to wash them every other day instead of a preferred twice a week !

I used to have pretty long hair until early this year when I had them cut off. 

I always had some hair shedding and was assured by my hair stylist that it is normal considering my long thick hair. You'd expect that the hair fall would get less after the hair cut but somehow it has affected it at all. The shedding continues. ( I have had a dermatologist have a look at it and she assured me it was normal as well, but I guess seeing that hair fall bothers me a little ! )

I have used Head and Shoulders and a prescribed Ketoconazole shampoo which work to an extent but make the texture of my hair really fizzy and dry.

I have been using  Sebastian hydre shampoo and conditioner for about a year now . They make my hair feel light and it improves the texture, I have found that I need to keep using this and the dandruff products in conjunction.

I have read about the benefits of the magical Argan oil and would love to try it out soon. 

I am also very keen to try out some hair masks that will work with my dry/oily combination situation !

So for both the Argan oil and hair mask -

Have any of you used it ? What brands would you recommend ?
Do they work well with dry dandruff prone scalps ?
Are they an overkill for oily hair ?
Do any of them come in sample sizes ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to suggest any other products you might see fit in this case.

Thanks heaps !
Di
xx

tannygirl
3392 posts
   Alright I have long hair, my scalp gets flakey and oily and because it's long it takes a long time to dry. So I don't like to wash it very often. I've had the problem of my lengths being dry and the scalp getting flakey and oily. I find what helps is applying coconut oil to my hair once a week and leaving it in for the day and then washing it out before bed. You could just leave it in for a few hours if you want. I then like to use Ethique's St. Clements shampoo bar to wash out the oil and then I use the Wonderbar on the lengths. I find when I do that I can extend time between washes so I don't need to wash my hair more than every three days for super clean hair but I can stretch it to four days. When I have a flakey scalp the Heali Kiwi is my go to for that.
   As far as hair fall I shed like crazy I think it just is something that happens when you have long hair. Main reason why I have my hair up all the time.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I know that some people do a wash with only conditioner, and use shampoo less often. While I have washed with conditioner only on a irregular basis I do notice a slight difference when I do this but I don't have the same issues as you.
Dii
16 posts
Thanks tannygirl, I looked up the  Ethique's St. Clements shampoo & Wonderbar , that looks interesting ! Will be looking into that.
I do oil my hair sometimes, I have used olive oil, will try out coconut oil this time. Yes, I had my hair up all the time when I had them long !

Thanks ragingfrog, I have heard people not using shampoo too , only conditioner , might be worth trying I guess !

Thanks again !
Di
xx
BeautyCutie
130 posts
I would definitely recommend checking out Lush's range of haircare products, they have so many different ones available for different haircare issues. They're all natural and the ones which I've tried have been amazing so far! The staff are always super helpful with finding products suited to your needs, too :) 
Macs
5351 posts
I tried so many anti dandruff shampoos with no luck at all. I haven't explored lush hair care . I must try that. Wish I could help. Definitely will be looking into trying these suggestions. 
Dii
16 posts
Thanks  BeautyCutie, will definitely be looking into the Lush products soon. 
Macs, same ! Thanks anyway !
Di
xx

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!