Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Favorite shampoos?

35 posts, 15 members
shazatron101
5112 posts
Howdy yall

So I'm getting a wee bit over using Lush shampoo, and I want to change it up and "treat" my hair to something different, and there is no place better to ask!
I'm not looking for anything in particular, maybe just high quality (like salon) and a good smell. So tell me your faves so I can research, or throw recommendations at me. I'll be researching everything!

Thanks xx
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I'm a bit of a shampoo floozie. I change after nearly every bottle. From the supermarket I tend towards L'Oréal, from the salon I tend towards joico and redken. Next I'm looking at getting ethnique.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I have oily hair, so I only use the L’Oreal Extraordinary Clay range.  Although, while I was trying to find a great shampoo for oily hair, I did try a few of the Angel en Provence shampoos and they smelled amazing and left my hair feeling nice and soft (just didn’t provide the lasting grease-control that I was looking for). 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm a Lush shampoo fan, in particular Daddy-O. BUT I also really like the redken in the gold bottle (the soft one) and the pink bottle (colour extend) and love Fudge shampoo and conditioners as well. I've used KMS Moist Repair in the past and really liked it too, even if it has an icky name :p
MareeB
5239 posts
I use anything, but I like shampoos especially designed for dry hair. I use a lot of purple shampoos for lightening and removing yellow. The Wella Silver shampoo is the best I've found. I don't have a stand-out ordinary shampoo since the Farrah Fawcett shampoo and conditioner in the 70s. It was amazing.
shazatron101
5112 posts
bahahaha Crystal, a shampoo floozie sounds exactly like what i want to be! lmao. i've not tried joico or redken, so off i go to research!

oh Silvene that's awesome the clay range works for you!! you must be so pleased. i have tried the angel en provence stuff thanks to goodiebox, i'm pretty sure i still have a sample left actually. maybe i need to break it out and see if i still like it.

Trudi, i'm usually a fan of lush but lately... i dunno. for the price that their shampoos are they don't make me think salon quality? i dunno. they're nice but yeah. i'm pretty sure the redken gold bottle is on here somewhere so ill do some more looking into that. but 2 for redken so far, so it must be good!

omgoosshh Maree that shampoo sounds amazing!!!
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I LOVE the palmolive teatree and eucalyptus shampoo, it's in a blue bottle. It smells very minty and fresh and has a cooling sensation on your scalp! Ultra refreshing in the morning or after a workout, and it also gets rid of dandruff.
MareeB
5239 posts
It totally was Shaz - in the 30 years since then I haven't found anything like it.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I just finished my salon shampoo, it was goldwells but was nothing special. I do like the loreal botanicals the safflower one and also the essano coconut shampoo.
tannygirl
3392 posts
     If you're after a nice scent there's the Angel En Provence ones that smell really nice but I haven't had as much success with them for my sometimes flakey, sometimes oily scalp as my trusty Ethique shampoo bars. 

They Lush ones smelt amazing. I loved the scent of Daddy O' unfortunately my hair was a bit dry afterwards. I do have really long hair though so the ends are always kinda dry.
MareeB
5239 posts
I'm intending to try the Esano coconut shampoo and conditioner. Their other products are nice.
Julieal
915 posts
I trialled the L'Oreal Paris Botanicals and loved the shampoo and condirioner so much I have re purchased -really lovely and leaves my hair well conditioned.
Koni
444 posts
Heeelllooo Shaz :-)

These all smell divine, high quality and leave my hair in good condition. I have keratin treated hair so I base my haircare around that (i.e. sulfate free):

Sulfate-free
1. Pureology Hydrate
2. Davroe Smooth Senses

When I can see my keratin fading:
3. L'Occitane Repairing Shampoo
shazatron101
5112 posts
Charmmy i love palmolive! i have the pink conditioner, it's the only thing i 'wash' my hair with during the week, and i have no oily residue afterwards and my hair actually feels like its been washed. it's literally the best!!

aw Lisa how disappointing! i've tried the essano but wasn't a huge fan. i've smelled the botanicals range but i'm a bit unsure if i wanna spend that kind of money on a brand i'm 50/50 on. judging from the comments here though it does seem like a really good range though!

oooh Koni i've only heard of pureology out of those ones but i'll go lookin'. thank you! <3

MareeB
5239 posts
Today I tried Shwartzkopf live colour silver toner. The pic on the box shows a nice sandy blonde colour which I thought would be great instead of my bright white colour. The product looked the same as any purple shampoo and conditioner, but um, well, my hair is dark purple/blue now! I like it being darker but the colour isn't ideal! and not the sandy blonde on the box at all!!!!!
MareeB
5239 posts
How does the keratin treatment work Koni?
Koni
444 posts
Hahahaha oh gosh that would be quite the change from bright white to dark blue Maree - I'm sure it looks rad nonetheless!!

The keratin application varies between salons. The one I go to:

1. Wash hair
2. Blow dry
3. Saturate hair in the treatment for 20-30mins
4. Blow dry (with treatment still in hair)

It takes an hour and you should have smooth frizz-free hair for up to 2-3 months.

I've been to other places where you need to keep the treatment in for 3 days before washing it out so it really depends where you go :-)
Macs
5351 posts
I haven’t found my perfect hair shampoo and conditioner yet. Hopefully some day soon though.

I hope you find something soon.
shazatron101
5112 posts
oh no Maree!! id suggest keeping it but thats because i loouurrvvee colors! :D it'll fade though, so if you hate it dont worry too much x

i hope you find one you love too, Macs!!
MareeB
5239 posts
That sounds fab Koni. Is it expensive?
Koni
444 posts
Yes and no - depends where you go :-) The place I go to:
$150 - Short hair
$170 - Long hair
It's cheaper than getting my hair permanently straightened and less damaging.

There are others who do it for less but you need to leave in for days. And then you have those who charge $650-$800 for the exact same treatment (they probably mix it in 9ct gold bowls and chuck in real gold flecks - ridiculous).
MareeB
5239 posts
Hmm that's not too bad if you don't have to straighten it for 3 months - I'd be going for gold fleck-free version though!
shazatron101
5112 posts
i have purchased a shampoo! it's (unsurprisingly) one that you recommended, Trudi, but at the time of purchase i had forgotten you had mentioned it!

i got the Redken all soft shampoo+conditioner. it arrived yesterday and i immediately broke my 'shampoo once a week' rule. hnnnnnnng i like it so far. i also bought a serum called 25 something something from the same brand (hopefully loaded on BR soon) and i'm quite in love with that too.

i wonder though, as i make my way through the list of shampoos (ive decided yolo, im going to try the ones i like the sound of, one at a time) am i able to provide a decent review as i only use the shampoo once a week?

but please, if you use something amazing please keep adding to my list of things to try :D

trudijoy
8375 posts
#listentotrudi #trudiknowsthings :p

I'ma buy some of the gold one myself when i destash a bit more, but the conditioner, not the shampoo <3
shazatron101
5112 posts
So... although the shampoo i bought is nice... it also makes my hair feel kinda dry? And my scalp "smells musty" lmao.

So, are any of the shampoos recommended quite fragrant? I enjoy being able to smell my hair lol
RamblingRose
1280 posts
If you’re not too worried about cost, this one has a divine orange blossom scent that lingers in the hair, and it’s good for coloured hair too. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i just switched back to fudge conditioner and i think i'll try the shampoo again as well now that i can get 1L bottles for $30-$36 :D  i LOVE the smell of it 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
The A'kin shampoo and conditioners are amazing. I used my fly buys to purchase them but they are still very reasonable at around $20.
tabucutie
1811 posts
@shazatron: A musty smelling scalp is so far from ideal. I think you can still produce a good review result. Though you made need a month to trial each one to get results.

I am a bit late to see all these posts but so interesting to read none the less. The last shampoo/conditioner that worked so well for me was the L'Oreal Beology (dusty rose/red) range. Since then have used the Essano Coconut duo which smelled amazing but didn't work so well on my hair. Currently using an Organic Care from the supermarket. Its early days yet.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   A'kin is great if you if you have a sensitive or flakey, itchy scalp. I really liked this one and I've repurchased it multiple times and given this as a gift as well. 

shazatron101
5112 posts
lmfao tabucutie - no! musty scalp is definitely not on my must have list this year!
MareeB
5239 posts
I have so many 1/2 bottles of shampoo that I bought some conditioner from The Warehouse to use with them to run them out. I'll let you know what you get in a conditioner for your 2 bucks!!! less orange hair hopefully. I wasn't being cheap, it was just impulse. I spent $9 on chocolate in the same transaction. Wow, it's like 'true confessions' tonight.
I am using L'Oreal X-Tenso Care Straight Shampoo which is known for giving deep nutrition to hair with shine.  After that I do straight hair with my MadameParis straightener that makes my hair amazing in look.
Ginger26
12 posts
Favorite drug store: Tresemme, restore and shine and deep clean
Favorite salon: Redken all soft

I love the NAK hair products they smell great and after I started using them my hair hasn't felt better

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!