Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Whats YOUR fave hair coloring product?

20 posts, 17 members
raniwelsh
104 posts
Im a hair dying junkie, my hair is naturally dark brown but I have been black, blue, red, orange(yikes!),chocolate, aurburn, light brown, blonde and purple! I have tried soo many different dyes, all home kits by the way. My fave brand is Clairol, I love their Nice 'N Easy Color Blend Foam. Its soo easy to use and is far less messy than the normal dyes. I went from Dark brown to blonde using Clairol frost and tip high lightening kit! I used it as an all over dye first off then a week later used another box to highlight and then put through  Nice N' Easy Natural Light Ash Blonde #102 . About 2 months later I put through another box of Frost and tip. My hair did get damaged but wasnt actually that bad! Looked really natural too! but now Im back to black lol...oh the joys of hair dying!
Angell
182 posts
I used to be blonde....plenty of people don't believe until they see my blonde kids and photos of me when I was a kid.... My hair is currently a reddish-purple and I LOVE it! I would like to try the black/blue once...... I like most product, but not that keen on Nutrise Range. The colours are nice, but I found that the colour fades a lot faster and the smell just sticks in your hair forever! I have to admin, I currently have Nutrise in my hair but only because I really did like the colour. I don't go so much for brands as for price and colour :)
colleencanary
764 posts
I recently started using the Garnier Olia hair colour and this is first home hair colour that hasnt left my hair dry and dehydrated. You can actually feel and see the difference that the oil in the hair colour makes to your hair. I went from dark brown to caramel which wrecked my hair, then from caramel to dark brown which didnt help much either and now I went from dark brown to a red head and my hair is amazing!!
Kirstie
24 posts
I'm a hairdresser (not currently working in a salon) so tend to get my hair done at a salon or at home myself. I was white blonde for about 2 1/2 years but decided to go back to dark when it wasnt growing much. Since I've been dark I've used Loreal Professional colours and done my hair myself. 
Although I haven't coloured it in about 6 months so there's a lot of natural colour there now it matches up perfectly. Going to try and grow all the colour out. 
It will be the first time I've been natural for years. Have to see how long it lasts!
deville
42 posts
A warning to everyone who does any sort of hair dying - home or salon, please do the skin test. I say this as I have home and salon dyed my hair for a long time and had a reaction to one I had used before.  It started after dying my hair a week earlier.  I though it was just a reaction to something else so got a antihistamine tablet from the chemist which did nothing, a few days later the rash had spread halfway down my face, my eyes were all swollen and I couldn't see out of one of them.  I spent over a week at home looking and feeling hideous all because of a hair dye and not doing the skin test as i'd used it before.  It took over two weeks for all of the skin irritation and swelling to go.  Even if you always use that brand please beware and do the skin test each and every time.
LisaE5
447 posts
Deville- That's a valid point, you don't know how those chemicals could harm you if you don't test first, better to be safe than sorry
colleencanary
764 posts
I never do a skin before I colour, but luckily nothing has happened yet. Thats really good advise and I'll start testing from now on.
skingeek
537 posts
I've switched to herbatint. It's organic and you buy it from Hardy's. It doesn't burn when I have it in, and it doesn't have that awful chemical smell which longers on your head for days after you use it. I've also found the health of my hair has improved. It's a little more expesive at about $34 a box, but you pour the oxidant and the colourant into a bowl to mix them, they do it this way so you don't have to use it all. So if your hair is short, or if you're just touching up your roots, you can do two or more treaments.
Kylenefs
68 posts
I generally get mine coloured at the hairdressers as every time I've attempted to do it at home it just doesn't come out how I want. My hair is rather long and thick so getting an even coverage without lines etc is really hard.  Its a bit expensive to get done at hairdressers but I do love the results when I have it done
wubwubb
37 posts
The fudge paintbox have some really cool colours. They have an oil base so it doesn't really dry your hair out. The colours are super vibrant and quite cheap $20-25 a tube. I used to use 2 tubes a month to colour my whole head. 
chikoboo
3402 posts
I've just used that new Olia - Intense Red and its great, pity its fading quick though will have to top it up again.  I have used a salon in the past but to be honest if you get assistance in using an at home kit then the results aren't that different,  OK I know in the salon they mix various colours to make the hue to suit you but not at the price difference I don't see it, but then if I was to be treated to a salon colour I wouldn't turn it down lol
Dema
1 posts
Does anyone know a good hairdresser based in Auckland that works from home, at discounted rates?
Maimy
76 posts
I dye my hair bright colours, and have done practically every colour of the rainbow. My favourite brand is Special Effects - it has the best staying power of the semi-permanents that I've tried.
Ecopetra
1 posts
Being a healthy choices fan I would strongly recommend to everybody only to use natural hair colours. There are nice natural products (even colour creams which are ready to use out of the tube) out there which provide beautiful results - you cannot dye your hair though. But they cover grey hairs and leave your hair healthy and shiny.
There is evidence that chemical hair dyes and colours are related to increased risk of cancer http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2281413/Hair-dye-used-millions-women-linked-chemicals-cause-cancer.html
chikoboo
3402 posts
I'm always dubious about the claims in newspapers that such and such gives you cancer.  Ok the chemicals in the dyes probably aren't great for you but I go from experience, I've dyed my hair since I was 15 years old, that was 17 (omg!!) years ago, its still a massive thick mass of curls that grows way to fast, I have no idea what my natural colour is or was to be 100% but its fine and healthy. 

My grandmother used to dye her hair too, since her younger days as a war wren in London, I think she told me that she started in her twenties and I remember going with her to the salon to be dyed (she always used L'Oreal) right up to her mid 80's and she passed away from nothing relating to that.

But not saying information shared isn't great just I feel sometimes not all you see and read is the truth, best be as informed as possible and go with what you feel is right for you =)
100_percent_ash
488 posts
Salon blonde for me only. Schwarzkoff salons seem to give me the best result. As long as I am blonde I will happily (or not so happily) pay the price. Lesson well and truly learnt there.

If I ever was to go back to brunette I'd do my own but it's been so long they probabaly don't make the ones I used to use anymore.
Hollie
320 posts
I'm dubious about anything written in the Daily Mail........ (but to each their own!) but anyway. I have read a few peer reviewed articles on the 'dangers' of hair dye, but from what I can remember it depends on the colour and a whole range of other factors. I personally do use 'natural' hair dyes due to a previous reaction, but most people will be fine. I guess if you have any concerns at all, or funny reactions, talk to your doctor.

And Chikoboo - my great grandmother lived until she was 100 and also dyed her hair up until her death (not promoting anecdotal evidence, but it's just a great story). She couldn't stand the thought of going grey! She would have the hairdresser come to her house and loved the tea and chat too. She was a feisty and fabulous wee Scottish lady :)
100_percent_ash
488 posts
Go grannies! personally I cannot wait to go grey so I can do purple rinse. My nana's family were all white by my age but I've yet to grey at all in my late twenties. 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
my hair has been every colour I can think of ;p my favourite dyes for 'unnatural' colours are Manic Panic and Affinage. I find they stay in the longest. For bleach my favourite is Manic Panics bleach kit and for 'normal' hair colour I love  schwarzkopfs Brilliance range. 
MicheleC
419 posts
I use Garnier Nutrisse as I like the colour I have. I'm currently a shade of brown - chestnut. I did have a plum shade for a while and a red before that. My grey tends to grow our before the colour has a chance to fade. I have also been experimenting with Ombre in my own strange way. I tie my hair into a pony tail and they pull the hair tie about 5cm/2" away from the crown of my head. I only apply the dye to the roots and up the the hair tie. I have done this now for a couple of re-dyes and the ends are just that bit lighter and redder than the top half. When I do my hair in a bun I can see the difference but otherwise it is not as sharp a difference as with the lightening the standard Ombre gives. I also think that this method gives the ends of my hair a break from the chemicals and I don't seem to have too many split ends as a result.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!