Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

HENNA FOR HAIR???

20 posts, 12 members
Johanna
38 posts
Hi ladies I was wondering about Henna hair dye as a healthy alternative do any of you use it and do you find your hair grows well my hair is fine frizzy and damaged also my hair is brown are there hennas in brown colours or are they all red and black? 
-Bex-
611 posts
hiya! I don't really know anything about henna for hair but I did get a book from lush with all their products and there were I think 4 colours in it. Try their website hopefully they have the info on there that was in the book. Good luck.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I used to henna my hair years ago, from memory they are all pretty much in the brown to red shade even the black had red tinge. But maybe they have advanced their colours more now. From memory they fade quite quickly. And used to be really hard to get into my hair evenly sort of like putting a cow pat on your head hard to mix through but like I said that was a long time ago. X
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I used the lush ones for awhile. THey make your hair really shiny and soft. I got a block of brown so it didn't change my hair colour. They are a bugger of a product to use. You chop them up and add water in a saucepan. You have to let it cool slightly or you burn your head. They say it's best to leave on as long as possible. So I'd wrap in glad wrap and leave on for the day
Johanna
38 posts
yeah i heard about lush am keen to give it ago but i dont think i want the red in my hair as red is hard to get out but if it washes out maybe its worth giving a try sounds a bit messy haha the cow pat thing does it make your hair any healthier or is it just a natural alternative thanks for the replies!
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
 henna is permanent I used to get a lot of fade with it and regrowth, maybe it's changed these days. I actually think the new hair dyes with the oil are pretty good and make your hair look healthier. Gosh hope that helps. But like I said that was a long time ago things change x
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Have you shopped on Iherb before? They sell a powdered henna. There is also a FB page dedicated to it and they answer any questions you need to know and can tell you more as well.

id take one for the team and try red henna from lush in my hair 
tannygirl
3392 posts
 Okay I have never dyed my hair but I have put henna in it several times. It's actually really good for your hair and leaves it conditioned soft and shiny. You can get it in red, brown and black you can even get one that doesn't have color but adds gloss and shine. If you have blonde or light hair naturally it will give you as much coverage as a hair dye, works to cover greys as well. I knew some older women including my grandmother who used henna to cover the greys. If you have dark hair like me it will just tint it. If you have really dark hair and want a red tint I would recommend going for the orange-red henna because that will give you more of a tint than say chestnut or brown henna. The black does have a slight reddish tint but that only shows if you have light shining from behind on your hair. Henna fades so it's nice if you don't want to fully commit to a hair color or like to change your color often.
   I've never used the Lush henna bars but I've used the powder the comes in sachets and you mix with water to form a paste. You will want to wear dark clothes and have your hair up while the henna is in your hair as you get some powdery residue on your neck and hairline, around your ears etc. but don't worry about it staining your skin too much as once the paste has dried the henna's staining ability is greatly reduced. You can find henna powder at Health 2000 shops and also at Indian shops that sell spices and stuff like that, it should be cheaper than the lush bars as well but won't have the cocoa and shea butter, etc that the lush one has. I hope this was helpful.
100_percent_ash
488 posts
From my brief knowledge of hairdressing it can't be removed to go lighter once it's in or some other issue with conventional colouring. So if you like to change things up may pay to keep that in mind too.
Johanna
38 posts
wow this is very helpful! currently I am brunette but I do not want it to go too dark by the sound of the fading allowing a red tinge maybe okay as it fades my regrowth is a dark blonde I have been looking on u tube and there are mixed results I think it will be worth shopping around to see the difference in price etc so thanks for the suggestions and referrals when I use supermarket dyes It always looks darker which is okay but I do not wish to be too dark a little red would warm it up but I would prefer to have the undertones more golden not red or tangerine from what I have been reading it seems henna is red based... Thank you to the hair dressing chick too if it fades I should give it ago hehe and yes the oils in some of the new dyes are rather nice and I favour the amonia free ones and because henna is natural it make seem healthy but I wonder if it actually improves hair or just has that name because its organic the results on you tube are mixed some looked great selecting the right shade of henna for me will not be easy from the results I see on you tube haha
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I was just going to search for this subject so it's great there's all this info here :)

Did you try the Lush henna Johanna?

I was looking at their website and it's got a video on that page but it's coming up as "this video is private" - is that the same for anyone else?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Go straight to YouTube. There's plenty of reviews on there. I thought about using it when I was on roaccutane and its advised not to dye your hair. But as my hair is already coloured I was wary of using it (I ended up with green hair thanks to traditional henna over chemical dyes many years ago). Also it seemed like too much hassle/mess sitting with it on your hair for hours on end. I'm intrigued by their new henna shampoo bar for coloured hair. 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Ty! I will go check youtube out now. I like the thought of natural hair dye but certainly don't want to go green that much! ;)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
This is decades ago and I think they said in Lush that there's would be ok. They couldn't give me a sample for me to do a patch text though. In the end I decided it was easier just to go for one of those new ammonia free, oil based dyes. Over and done with in 45 mins although I know some people react horribly to chemical dyes. 
AmandaJane
1147 posts
What brand did you use if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at the Garnier Olia site and they've got some really nice red colours. They say it resists fading for up to five weeks, would that depend on how many times you wash your hair as well as time span? I'm thinking it must do and that may be a silly question :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Amanda Jane, I've used the Olia Reds in the past and really liked them. They're quite nice to use as far as chemical dyes go and don't irritate my scalp. The colour kept quite well but I only wash my hair twice a week. Red is always going to be hard to keep looking fresh and bright. I've only stopped using Olia as I discovered Schwarzcopf  Ultimate Colour. This is a two part foam that you mix together in your hands and you don't have to use it all at once. i have short hair and I can get at least two uses out of this, rather than throw half the mixture away. However the shades are very limited. I have been using the dark red brown but got asked the other day "didn't your hair used to be red?"  so might have to rethink that one. However it has great lasting power as I've only coloured my hair twice this year! I don't know if this is due to washing my hair less (it seemed to be brighter and fade more when I was on holiday in Brazil so out in the sun and washing my hair more) or because I've been using a lush solid conditioner (which seems to coat the hair) I was trying to work that one out with my hairdresser yesterday. 
Anyway, I hope some of this was helpful!
PutterJiffy
11 posts
I think I messed up the protocol with henna, because I tried dying my hair with henna bout twelve months ago, and it didn't change my hair color at all.
I think it still depends on which henna brand to use. You can use hair cellophanes instead to be safe.it keeps your hair healthy and give it a boost of color.
Julieal
915 posts
I tried Henna once but because I have a lot of grey the colour was very red and didn't look natural. It was a brand I got from a health shop and was expensive so it putme off trying any other brans -Would love to know if someone with a lot of grey has a better product I could try.
katedraper
16 posts
Yes I used to henna my mum's hair and I loved doing it, like playing with mud, smells kinda nice in a mud way, and leaves the hair in really nice condition. I love that it's not putting harsh chemicals on your scalp!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!