Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Dying blonde - Hair care advice, please!

14 posts, 10 members
JessB
219 posts
Hey everyone, I'm planning on changing from a dark blonde/light brown to a golden blonde (first time dying my hair). 
I'm hoping to do this myself and so I'v been looking for the right hair dye.
1) Any suggestions for the dye itself? And
2) And advice for dyed-hair care?

Thanks in advance!
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I prefer to get a professional to dye my hair rather than doing it myself. I particularly find the bleach they use more effective.

For maintaining it, lots of purple shampoo and products to keep your hair hydrated, smooth and healthy. Dyed hair can get quite dry and brittle if you don't look after it.

Best of luck :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
I went from black/dark brown to blonde so I could have my colored hair, I used Manic Panic's bleach to do so, I used the 30vol kit and it was perfect. At $25 a box its expensive yes but I found it was the only bleach that didn't burn, hurt, and my hair had little to no damage. 

You could always get a box of bleach and mix with shampoo - a "bleach bath" if you will - and use it to lighten your hair, that way you're still getting an all over coloring but it won't be nearly as harsh and you don't have to have it in for very long! I usually do this after I've done a full bleach to try and get rid of any remaining color. 

As for aftercare, invest in some Argan Oil (I love the one from Argania) and use in damp hair after bleaching. I'd also suggest a coconut oil mask before or after using bleach just to help your hair get back to normal :-) Otherwise, I have no other advice, so I hope it goes well! 
JessB
219 posts
@ crystal: What do you mean by purple shampoo and conditioner? Are the hair dye-specific shampoos usually in a purple bottle?
Yeah I think I'll start comparing prices for salons as a back up plan too. 

@ shaz: that sounds like an awesome idea! My hair isn't usually too fussy with shampoo and conditioner, but might be a whole different story for dye.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Purple shampoo/conditioner are specifically for blonde hair - they keep the brassiness out of the blonde so it stays blonde, not some weird color haha. 

If I can do it you can do it ;-) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i went ombre this time last year and these products were life for those few months: 

- Lush Marilyn treatment

- Lush Daddy-O shampoo

- John Frieda Colour renew Tone refresh conditioner (there is also a shampoo but i didnt' use it)

Can't link to the Lush ones, I asked for them to be added ages ago so hopefully they're on the way! xx
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
This is the purple shampoo I use: http://www.beautyreview.co.nz/catalogue/hair-care/shampoo-conditioner/fudge-violet-toning-shampoo

I use it twice a week after using normal shampoo but before conditioner to eliminate any yellow tones.

JessB
219 posts
Thank you guys for youe advice!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Nat did an article on this over on the BBBE blog.

Personally, I would go professional if you haven't coloured your hair before and also if you are going lighter. I learnt the hard way on this one and it took years for my hair to feel like hair again.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
What I do suggested especially with going lighter is you do use a salon, because if it goes wrong you will have the help there to fix it rather than you scheduling an emergency trip, and more importantly as a consumer they will need to fix it.
I would also suggest a treatment at the same time like olaplex. See a previous superhero review here.
The salon will also be able to advise on when is appropriate for the first wash/condition after completion of the new do. You may wish to get some dry shampoo to hold off between washes if you haven't used before have a look at some options here.
A hairdress should guide you through appropriateness of how far you want to go blonde and if you want to include highlights on top of the major colour change, and upkeep requirements on how long you can leave it before you need to be back to do roots.
Macs
5351 posts
That's right Nat did do a article on it. I remember that too. I haven't coloured my hair blonde in years. I hope you share with us your new colour on the wall if you go through with it. 
MareeB
5241 posts
I dyed mine from dark to blonde years ago and I recall it took some work ( a hairdresser did it) and expense. Continually trying to remove the yellowing was the hardest part, and keeping it from drying out like straw. I gave up and went back dark again ( More because I didn't look as much like Princess Diana as I'd hoped). Turns out I only had to wait a few years and nature whitened it for me!!!
-Bex-
611 posts
I'm a dyed blonde and find purple shampoos and masks a lifesaver. I love the L'Oréal elvive extraordinary oil mask- from the supermarket
and Joico K-pak intense hydrator-from the salon and costs around $50. Also argan oil is amazing at keeping it soft and manageable 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
An intensive mask is a must. I like the Dove one, it's really nice and rich (and cheap).

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!