Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Would you, could you, juice fast?

32 posts, 19 members
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I'm seriously considering doing a juice fast. I saw myself in a full length mirror at Kmart today and was really taken aback. I have to take action now.

Does anyone have any juice fasting recipes, tips or info etc?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Personally i wouldnt do one. Im in the same boat though, project 'goal weight by Easter'. I'm doing it in a way i know works for me... calorie counting and light exercise
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I've used juices as a supplement when I've needed a nutritional boost. I was having a couple of small juices a day for several months. I couldn't do the fast though. I would recommend Joe Cross' site rebootwithjoe.com if you're at all interested in juicing. There are lots of recipes on there. Biggest downside of juicing is cleaning the juicer lol. That's the main reason I'm not juicing at the moment although I may need to boost again when I'm back at work. I think the good old NutriBullet sounds a lot easier. 

Macs
5351 posts
I've never done a juice fast before. I definitely plan to get back into exercise and portion control when my kids return to school. I just want to be healthy. I would give it a try. I just need a juicer. 
MareeB
5239 posts
I don't think I could do it, to be honest. I think I'd be hungry and I hate that.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Lutece
1849 posts
Awww Amanda Jane, you are so beautiful, both inside and out, dont let what you see in the mirror at Kmart define you as a person! Sending you big hugs <3

Juicing is so good for you, Many years ago I used to juice before breakfast everyday, there is a book I have at home but I cant remember what its called, when I am home Ill tell you the name, its filled with lots of information on digestion, your skin and all of those things xxx
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I couldn't do that. I love solids to much. Wouldn't the weight just go on once you start eating normal again?
shazatron101
5112 posts
I could but I won't, mostly because I think they're rubbish and gimmicks, just like the tea detox stuff. Drink juice cos you want to not so you starve yourself!
idomakeupnz
150 posts
Juice fasting/juice cleansing is like all these other "healthy" quick fixes that people are promoting these days.
I really urge people to do their research on these things and I wish people wouldn't tell others that it's good for you because it can be rather dangerous.

If you want to lose weight, you should talk to your GP or ask to be referred to a dietician. They can help you figure out a plan that works for you. I truly believe that a balanced diet, regular exercise and a healthy mind set will get you a long way.

If anyone is wondering, here are some facts about juice cleanses:
- It does not detoxify your body. Our bodies are continuously, aturally detoxing themselves, the body needs so help in doing this (unless you have a medical issue).
- Juicing does not improve you energy and health like people claim. Instead people can become rather ill by limiting themselves solely to fruit/vege juices. Because the body isn't getting what it needs it burns all it's glycogen stores for energy, so after a few days you will nd up feeling exhausted due to the lack of energy.
- You can suffer from headaches, light-headedness, the shakes and low blood sugar. You will also highly likely become constipated from the lack of fibre. 
- Once you stop the juice fast you will gain all the weight right back.
- These liquid diets are low in protein. Protein is an essential for our everyday health as it builds healthy immune cells and regenerates muscle. If you already have low protein stores before starting the cleanse then you may become more susceptible to infections.

Cleansing may produce short term results, but it definitely doesn't produce long term benefits.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Ringy
825 posts
I chug a good juice when I need shopping stamina? When your arms are starting to tire from carrying all those shopping bags it's easy to grab a super juice and keep on shopping. A juice fast? No, instead of a bag of crisps or hot chips- yes. 
Danni
324 posts
I've done them before and had great success! I never felt hungry and I actually really enjoy juices so it wasn't to hard for me...I'm a bit to lazy to chew! haha
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I have on of those nutrition bullets and love it. For those on the juice detox, did you actually lose any weight? I want to eat healthy and exercise ready for my graduation in March x
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I normally smoothie everyday at work for lunch. But I treat it like a meal as smoothies can be very calorie heavy especially with sugars with what goes in. I use it to get part of my 5 plus a day.

I am a big believer in the 90/10 or the 80/20 rule and the more whole foods you have in your diet the better but some people need cheat days to maintain progress or they may binge on an item. You would still need the lifestyle change of exercise to bring it together.
I do think there are some benefits as it can help break habits and start to form new ones.
Head Pixie
569 posts
Hello!

Hey I just thought I'd poke my head in and say that while opinions are beautiful things and we love hearing about your experiences, if we're going to start talking about facts we would ask that you link the source, so that people can read it, research further and then decide for themselves. 

And of course, as idomakeup said, if you're going to embark on any dietary change it's a great idea to have a chat with your doc or a health professional first. 

Right - back to packing out trials... 

xoxo
shazatron101
5112 posts
One of those trials should fall into my hands... pehehehe nah as much as I want a trial I can wait. And I lied, I will be 'juicing' but it will be once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks, and thats so my worms can have some mushy food as the juicer is the only thing I have that will break up food good enough cos worms don't have teeth!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Lol, Shaz my worms were very well fed when I was juicing. Don't worry about breaking food up for them too much though. The heat in the worm farm helps break it down anyway. Having said all that, I haven't even seen any in mine for awhile. Hoping they're in the second layer. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yas the worm expert has come to the party bahahaha. I thought I chopped some stuff up pretty fine but looking at it I'm like... NOPE hahaha but they're all up in it so it must be okay But juice mush every so often will be okay too. I'm surprised how much I love my worms! Can you feed them the potato starch things aka ghost poo from Lush? I kinda wouldn't think so but then I'm a bit... maybe you can? 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oh how adorable, I love worms. Is this for your gardens? Sorry I'm not that familiar with worm farms, I just know I like to save them when they are in trouble in the garden lol
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'm not sure about ghost poo as I'm not sure how they process it. I know not to use bleached paper but I doubt ghost poo would be bleached (what a strange sentence I just wrote lol) I also have an ordinary compost bin so I put all the ghost poo in there. I also use it for onion and citrus which you can't put on worm farms (I'm sure you know that one already)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Haha yup mumof3 this is for the gardens, or rather, the stuff the worms make is ;-) I didn't know that about the bleached paper! I did know not to give large amounts of onion and citrus but I don't think I'll give them any to be on the safe side. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Oh dear. Please do not do a juice fast.

I agree with all the points idomakeupnz has made.

berryliciousbeauty I would love to see a juice recipe with adequate protein. I just don't believe one exists. Fruit and veges alone are not high in protein.

There has been some research (peer reviewed, i.e. the gold standard) published on juicing diets - see here - hopefully you can see the abstract if not the whole article. This was published in the American Journal of Medicine (a good journal, not an obscure one), and details a patient who developed kidney damage following juicing.

Hope that helps - I'm a scientist and it really irks me to see potentially damaging misinformation being spread around.

A juice now and again? Sure. Living off them? No thanks.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I couldn't. I'm trying to decrease sugar and increase exercise instead.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Shaz, I've never put any citrus or onion either, don't want to risk killing them off. Although I might have done that anyway. Eek!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Just to clarify - chia seeds are not vegetables. Obviously the addition of nuts and seeds will bump up the protein (and fat) content.

Also to clarify - a medical doctor is different to a research scientist. Some are qualified as both. Most that have both a medical degree and advanced research degree are professors at universities or research institutes, not usually family doctors.

I'm glad your doctor supported your decision though - you do you. Just providing some evidence based research to those that are interested.
chloednz
217 posts
Same as Trudi-joy here, calorie counting (the myfitnesspal app rules) and excercize works for me everytime as long as I stick to it. Am currently on the bandwagon and trying to look at food as more fuel for my body than a reward. All the best xo
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thanks for your replies ladies. I will go on doing some research and thanks Head Pixie for the reminder.

Idomakeup - thanks as always for your feedback, it's much appreciated.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I'm currently working on losing weight and so am always interested in anything that will help me achieve my goals. For me, like some of the other ladies above, I am using my fitness pal and exercising. I'd heard about juicing before but haven't tried it myself. 

I came across this article http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/new-survey-finds-healthy-smoothies-are-just-as-bad-as-a-big-mac/news-story/2db6cf546cff9d1ef5b227523a5074fc - I'm not sure if juicing and smoothies are the same thing but in case they are I thought I would share. I've been guilty of skipping a meal and having a store bought smoothie so I found this really interesting. Hope it helps :)
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Thanks jessickaxnz for your link. That was an interesting read :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!