Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

why so expensive?

71 posts, 25 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
Who else has products that they simply don't understand how companies can get away with making them so expensive?

An example from today was some really nice candles in a store at the mall.  Luxury candles all seem to be in the $30 ~ $60 pricerange, which for a candle - to me - seems to be just a little ridiculous (and it's what usually puts me off buying them).

I don't mind if things are higher prices and I get why, but some things.... not so much.

Any other examples?
chikoboo
3402 posts
Probably a little off the topic but I don't mind paying premium prices for certain products, what I don't like though over the top for that product compared to other countries.   Example being I want to get The Body Shop new sleeping mask, drops of youth.  Here it costs $75 in the UK it is 24 pounds which converts to around $56 even factoring in postage, exchange fees that is still $20 difference! Especially when its only 50 in Australia,  what the f! And this is why it is hard to spend in the NZ market,  I'm all for supporting the economy but come on it is hard to not feel ripped off for our location.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I noticed that with the candles too, there's no way I would pay $50 for a candle, no matter how nice the scent.

I feel that way about a lot of products in NZ though, well compared to the UK anyway. Leather handbags and shoes and housepaint of all things are so much more expensive here. I guess being a little island in the middle of nowhere doesn't help with import costs or whatever.
Kellyleanne
551 posts
Yes I agree, scented candles are pricey - I can't remember how much I paid for the Peter Alexander one, but I remember cringing when I went to pay lol.

i never look forward to when my mac foundation runs out either...
chikoboo
3402 posts
AmandaJane yes! The worse is wallpaper, I could buy a room worth for around 25 pounds in the UK aka $57 you cant even buy a roll for that hehe
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Yes Candles seem to be so expensive, and even though i love candles, i can't justify the big pricetags. And yes, a great example are the ones from Peter Alexander. I have wanted one for ages, but for that price.. nope it is not going to happen
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh yes the difference in price is another ridiculous cringe. Whyyyyy?
AmandaJane
1147 posts
It's times like this when you miss the pound key on the keyboard :)

We do get ripped off here and I'm convinced a lot of pricing is done that way on purpose and doesn't reflect the quality of the goods. *i'm a grump* lol
MareeB
5244 posts
Yes candles are expensive. A million years ago we made them in a factory (McLeods) in Dunedin and they didn't seem that complicated to be honest.
janini9
341 posts
I think a lot of goods here are overpriced. I buy local if possible, but goods made overseas, if there isn't a reasonable comparable price here to what I can source from overseas, then I'm buying it online. Even if they bring in GST for online purchases, some things will still be way cheaper from overseas and so I will still buy online if there isn't a fabulous NZ product to purchase instead.
I know that when I was an importer and distributor there was plenty of room to position prices so that you made money and could still offer  your customers a good deal. I have no time for greedy or inept retailers.

janini9
341 posts
Off topic, but I love your new photo Amanda Jane, very gorgeous.
MareeB
5244 posts
Oh, and at the same factory we made Avon soaps. Now they were complicated. The soap is soft and pliable and it is very difficult to get it to maintain the lovely shapes it was being made into. It's no surprise that it's expensive, but worth every cent. I still have some in a jar on the window sill in my bathroom that I've been carrying around with me for over 30 years!
shazatron101
5112 posts
I have problems paying the Farmers price for Sally Hansen Gel polish... It's just so freakin' expensive! I try to only buy them on special, and I can get them for $10 from splash store. And candles! Rudely expensive. By the way Amanda, hot damn!! Your face is freakin' gorgeous!! I'm loving the new picture :-)
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
 I pretty much always have a Peter Alexander candle on the go
my favourite 
every second one seems to be the Tahaa
they are really worth it they last and smell divine ha ha I can justify anything 

trudijoy
8375 posts
I didn't realise that Avon soap is expensive, haven't ever bought it!

Fi I can afford it but it's just like.... why?  Why so 'spensive?  SO I go back to the Warehouse ones which are fine . . . .
Rezee
1964 posts
Yep, its ridiculous.  10 years ago, we just paid the prices in store but these days te internet has given us a whole new world of shopping and if is so incredibly easy to purchase things frm other countries and it is really showing us how ripped off we are.
years ago, I was happy paying $50 for  revlon foundation as I believed it was a high end product, now I know its a stupidly cheap product in the us. 
yes of course stores have to make a profit, so I don't expect as cheap as the states, but shops putting huge profit margins on items means we are just forced to buy elsewhere. 
like over the weekend I was naughty and bought a too faced semi sweet palette along with  few other things.  The price worked out to be about $75 for that palette including shipping. If I went to farmers $75 would buy me maybe 3 maybelline quads
that are worth probably $15 in the us.  and there is a massive difference between maybelline quality and too faced!
can you tell this subject annoys me lol
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I here you Trudi if I think about it to much I wouldn't do it :)

even travel from here to other countries is shocking 
yay us in New Zealand 
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
It seems like this subject touches a lot of nerves, mine included. I totally understand where shops are coming from, but if i was only able to buy from NZ stores.. i wouldnt be able to buy much at all! Its a real shame. 
Koni
444 posts
Trudi I know what you mean it really rubs me the wrong way and like Chikoboo mentioned I love to support our economy but I can't help but feel ripped off (i.e. stupid overpriced MAC palettes).

I buy Ecoya candles for the house because it's the only candles my dad actually loves (he doesn't know the cost). I took mum shopping to buy the candles and when she saw the price she made me leave the store and off we went to The Warehouse :-)
Mila
1209 posts
Ah Shazatron I feel the same with the Sally Hansen nails - I love their polishes, but I dont understand how they cost so much at farmers when splash store have them for $10.00 (I have a another 2 on their way to me electra-cute and wet my thistle ! ) two for almost the price of the one at farmers ! :) 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Haha exactly Mila! I've never bought off of splashstore though - whats shipping like? I always want to but the things I want are never in stock!
MareeB
5244 posts
All so true, and if you live down here you have the added bonus of poor service for your money. My pet hate is Health 2000. They stalk me from the minute I walk in the store so that I don't have a chance to look around, and I usually leave without buying things I intend to buy - lucky healthpost, they're the recipient of my cash instead!!
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I was just talking with my Mum today about how expensive candles are!
Mila
1209 posts
I go through trade me for splash store becuase sometimes they have different stock on their for some reason thats not on the website.  It cost me $5 for the shipping so I was ok with that :)
MissQT
1547 posts
Oh I love Sally Hansen polishes, especially the gel polishes too. I must have a look at splash store and trade me! Candles are ridiculously expensive. I thought ecoya was expensive but that almost seems cheap compared to other brands!
shazatron101
5112 posts
That sounds awful Maree! Like I get they want a sale but if they keep pestering you while you browse that's just wrong and very annoying! I'd email someone and complain about it (I like to do that hahaha) 
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Wow! Just looked on TM and brought 3 amazing colours of sally hansen. Much better selection than what our local store has ever stocked
trudijoy
8375 posts
Maree i haaaaate that.

Sally Hansen gel...I just put that on my nails. Love!
MareeB
5244 posts
I've decided the price of postage is well justified if it means I don't have to deal with shop assistants - and I'm the guy who refuses to use self service checkouts because I believe they lead to job losses!
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I bought a couple of Essence "gel look" polishes today and I'm really excited to use them
kirstyj
1732 posts
I hate how expensive candles are! However I do understand that the shipping to get them here must be expensive though, they are super heavy.
I have on occassion bought candles from Bath and Body Works in the States. The shipping from YouShop was almost as expensive as the shipping itself.
I have also spent money on a Diptyque candle as a treat for myself. Super Duper expensive, but the scent is like nothing else I have ever smelt... tempted to get another one actually but I'll wait until I have something to celebrate.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Maree buy three and postage is free
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
Maree our health 2000 lady is so lovely and helpful 
but I do buy of healthpost as well
Macs
5351 posts
Yep I agree. The candles are expensive which is why I havent brought one. I'm still fantasising about them. Especially the Candle Crush one. If you add in delivery it works out to be alot.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Yes i have wanted a candle crush candle forever, but its so expensive
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Kirsty, you might be interested in this. I have finally given in and purchased from Ren's UK website despite the £15 postage! Yeap, that is a pound sign. They are giving away a pack of 6 minis with purchases over £50. What I didn't realise is that they take the VAT off the products when you put in NZ as your country. And as it was my first order I also got 10% off. So.....including the £15 shipping, my products ending up costing the same as they would in NZ but with the added bonus of a GWP and two free samples. 

I'd love a luxury candle but after that order, I'll have to stick to my Kmart ones lol. 
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I like the Airwick ones that glow different colours. And ones from The Warehouse that are like $8 are a lot nicer than I expected.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I get the 'Aura' ones from the Warehouse. Cheap enough to burn for hours but smell nice
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Same with the Kmart candles. I don't like al the scents but that's just personal preference as other people said the loved them. 
kirstyj
1732 posts
WorldofSoozieWong - I am interested in that! Might look into it next payday!!! (I have my eye on some clothes first, but after that...)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Just wondering when you guys buy your candles from the Warehouse or kmart or wherever, are there soy options, or do you care about buying soy candles? 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Never heard much about soy candles vs others tbh
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I have heard a little bit about the difference, such as soy candles having stronger scents, lasting longer, and having less bad stuff in them! Not sure if its true or not, but i have tried both and do prefer Soy. It seems ecoya and candle crush all use soy aswell which could be why they are more pricey?
Kimrose
1419 posts
Loving your pic Enya!
I really do enjoy scented candles but the price is ridiculous.  I aalways look out for sales.
Amanda Jane , your pic is gorgeous. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'm pretty sure at the price, Kmarts candles aren't soy, although I think one did say soy based. 

Kirsty, that GWP finishes today but follow them on Instagram. They have some good offers such as 2 for 1s quite regularly. I wa after the overnight facial mask which is only in their site atm. I also got another glycolactic mask, in the lack that has the two minis in it. So that's a total of 11 minis coming with my order lol. LOVE minis!
shazatron101
5112 posts
All I know about soy, other than it burns better and less nasties, is that you can put your finger in the wax and it won't burn you. Lol. MAYBE I have fiddly fingers and touch the hot wax in my candles. Maybe. 
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
shazatron101 your hilarious. I am all for candles with wax that doesn't burn me, im so clumsy as it is
shazatron101
5112 posts
I don't know about hilarious, more curious than anything. I've also tried washing powder cos it smelled way too good - does not taste good. I'm ashamed to admit this but I didn't know where my tear ducts were until like the start of the year. I'd never noticed them before! It was quite a good day when I discovered them. Lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
You're definitely hilarious shaz
First Lady
957 posts
Hey ladies,

So soy candles are generally considered 'superior' for these reasons:

- No petro-chemicals as with paraffin based candles, for this reason they burn clean (no soot, co2 emissions) 
- Soy burns at a low temperature and more slowly than paraffin, meaning they generally burn for longer.  I think around 30-50% longer
- They are naturally biodegradable and non toxic (Mavis has been known to chew on a left out soy taper, the minx)
- Soybeans are renewable.
- Soy is quite cheap compared to other non-petro based candles, such as beeswax.
- For some sciency reason they hod a much stronger scent (I think it's to do with the lower melting point)

There's probably a billion more reasons, this is just off the top of my head from BR research for previous trials.

Hope this helps

Love Nat xx

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!