Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

When your pump bottle stops working

13 posts, 12 members
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I'm halfway through a bottle of gradual tanner and the pump on the bottle has been working fine for weeks, it gets used every second night.  Last night, I pumped out enough lotion for my first leg, applied it and when back to get more for my second leg and all I got was a splutter and then nothing!  Aargh!!!  To do my other leg, I had to take the pump out and wipe a dollop of cream on my hand. 

Now, I wasn't prepared to decant half a 400ml bottle of lotion into another bottle, as I don't have anything else with a pump dispenser that is currently empty.  So this morning, after washing my face, I took the dispenser off the bottle and submerged it fully into the sink of warm water and then pumped it a few times underwater until I could feel water flowing through it. 

I then stood the pump upright in the basin (with the nozzle pointing away from me) and pumped it a few more times to see water coming out the nozzle.  Drained the sink, pumped the nozzle to get rid of any water stuck in it, inverted it to let water drain out the top and then replaced it in my bottle of lotion ... it works good as new! 

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else is frustrated with a pump nozzle that suddenly won't dispense.  I'll be rinsing all faulty nozzles this way in future to try clear blockages and solve issues before having to decant product into different bottles. 
Macs
5351 posts
My sunscreen bottle always gets clogged up. I always end up opening the bottle right up to get product of.  I'm going to try that.
shazatron101
5112 posts
GRRRR this is a pet peeve!! if you make something with a pump MAKE SURE IT WORKS !!!!!!

I've had this issue with several The Body Shop lotions, and I also had this issue with an Oxygen face wash, the lil beads kept getting stuck in the pump and annoying the bejesus out of me. It's so frustrating!

(had to edit, was so angry I didn't spell anything right hahahaha)
MissQT
1547 posts
Yes I hate when this happens too! Thanks for the tip Silvene.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Good to know. My issue with pump bottles is trying to get the last of the foundation out of the bottle.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Thanks for that advice, I haven't needed it yet but will probably need it in the future.
Julieal
915 posts
Good tip -this is so frustrating - I find that with droppers too with a lot of products -they only work for a short time !!!!
MareeB
5239 posts
Oh that really is annoying. With some body washes I've given up and unscrew the lid and pour it out - not ideal though!!
Ringy
825 posts
This definitely frustrates me! Or when the stick bit isn't long enough so no matter how much you pump it's never coming out - and you try tilting it at all sorts of angles. You will find a heap of my bottles stored upside down to try and get the last little bits out. 

trudijoy
8375 posts
not a pump, but currently dealing with a Stila foundation bottle too sturdy to cut open, and the foundation is too thick to move when i'ts upside down. Have resorted to scooping it out and repotting it... there is a couple weeks worth of face in there and it's too expensive to waste haha
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I hate this when it happens, I try and get products that come in a squeeze tube. If I do ever get a pump bottle that breaks I open it up and pop it into a air tight container :)
swamphen
73 posts
Arghhhhh this just happened with my nutrimetics platinum cream!
swamphen
73 posts
Arghhhhh this just happened with my nutrimetics platinum cream!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!