Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

When products come with accessorise that are a fail...

14 posts, 13 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm noticing a massive trend where products are sold with a brush or applicator, and while the product is great, the cheap addition makes it seem not as great. I got the mellow eyeliner in the valt and when I put it on yesterday it was too thick and smeary and came off my eyes easily. I switched the brush out for an eyeliner brush and....magic. Went on easily, stayed really black, winged out nicely and...13 hours later (95% of which was spent at work) ... is still there as good as it was this morning. Such a shame because I think some would give up on a product and not realise it was a simple tool change that was needed!

Have you encountered anything like this? For me the ZA Groovy Cheeks Blushes are the same and I think I recall jessickaxnz mentioning a lippy with a terrible applicator?
Mila
1209 posts
I find that to, I find alot of the brushes that come with cosmetics arent that great I tend to use all my own brushes for products i buy and just leave the original applicator with the product but I very rarely use them :)
Rezee
1964 posts
I depise those sponge applicaters so much! They are useless and just take up room in a palette. Higher end products sometimes come with decent brushes though. Brushes for makeup are so accessible now that im not sure why companies still include them.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Unfortunately I'm fussy and 9 times out of 10 the products that come with a tool gets the tool tossed into the bin, especially those sponge applicators they just a nightmare! The only products I have brought where the additional tool was awesome were Benefit Dallas and Naked 3, both of these come with excellent brushes that are perfect for what they are attended for. 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Like the other ladies mentioned, I LOATHE those sponge applicators and they always go into the bin. I'm a bit spoiled as I love my Xoeva brushes but I do like it if a brush is included with a palette of gel liner, even if I won't use it. If I don't like the brush that comes with something I give it to my sister or a friend. 

I can't really recall a lippy with a terrible applicator aside from the ELF dupes for the still glosses - or the benetint applicators, I just don't like the brush applicators as they always feel unhygienic to me - is that what you were thinking of Trudi? Sorry my memory is terrible!
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I used to always apply my powder back in the day with those sponges and now I don't even bother using them at a all as I love my kabuki brush. I have kept little eyeshadow brushes that have come with certain products to use for my pigments or glitters as they are the perfect size. I have kept my little spolly and eyebrow brush that came with my NYX eyebrow kit. I do wish I kept those brushes that come with blushes and bronzes as they would be good for contouring. But oh well.
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
I too loathe the sponge applicators and chuck them at first open.  I especially dislike the chichi pallette ones.  I mean for such great shadow they should give a semi quality sponge applicator but nope it never matches up.  By the way Jessicka congrats on the just over 1000 posts!  I just had to mention cause I didn't notice before :D
MissQT
1547 posts
I used to use those silly sponge applicators that come with eyeshadow quads! I've now learnt to use brushes but still need to get some decent eyeshadow brushes.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I don't think there's any such thing as a good eyeshadow sponge applicator. I don't know why they bother making them. I'd rather have no applicators and more/cheaper product. 
Kimrose
1416 posts
Back in the day, I did use those sponge applicators because I didnt know any better, but thanks to sites like our Beauty Review I have learned the error of my ways! Now they are tossed as soon as I open the palette. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
jess I actually can't remember, it was just one thing that stuck in my mind for some reason lol. May not have been you but I feel like it was - but can't remember the product lol. Might have been that, my memory is a sieve after work atm x
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I do keep the crappy sponge applicators and brushes that come with products as sometimes I throw an item in my bag and forget my brushes, so I do use them on rare occasions. At home I use my brushes.
SandieNZ
424 posts
Great point Trudi , I used to use those sponge applicators that came in the eyeshadow pallettes and thought I really sucked at applying eyeshadow, until one day a friend introduced me to a proper brush - I could so easily have thrown away the whole pallette thinking it was rubbish.
Macs
5351 posts
There is a difference with using a brush to the sponge applicator. I notice I can blend colours better . I can smoke the shadow out easier.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!