Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What's your favourite lipstick finish?

21 posts, 19 members
chikoboo
3402 posts
I was looking through the American fall preview of lipstick colours and saw that most of the wonderful deep plums I love are being created in a sheer finish this year, also that MAC has just released new cremesheen colours to their range.  Totally turned me off as they appear more like tints than a full smack on the lips of bold colour.  So I wondered what is your favourite finish in a lipstick, is it a bold opaque or sheer sheen, maybe glossy or matte, or both. 

I only really use sheer effect when they are nude coloured and don't even bothered with the coloured variety as I prefer my colours to be more impact than muted. 
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Hmm I seem to be going more matte. Or ones that mac have that stay on for ages. I have a sheer one of theirs and I'm not a huge fan of the finish
Macs
5351 posts
I got a satin one in Mac Rebel my first try of this type. I want to give a matte a go. I like how Nyx and Jordana feel but I'm not sure what their textures are called lol.
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
I have to go with satin finish or matte with a balm over top.  I dilike gloosy finish because I often find it too sticky or that it doesn't wear as hard as satin or matte.  I like ones such as Australis Velourlips or Mac or Lime Crime.
alyshajayne
92 posts
Satin or sheer for me! I LOVE matte for special occasions but find it too drying used often. Sheer I love for work because it doesnt look bad as it wears off but satin I love because it feels nice on and can be highly pigmented. In summary I love them all!
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm with Alysha - love them all.  Which, for a girl who a year ago didn't even wear the stuff at all, ever..... haha
Koni
444 posts
Ohhhh absolutely love opaque matte lippies!
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Although i love the idea of a matte lip, my lips hate it! I still own a few matte lipsticks and use them here and there, but satin finishes are my fav, and something I can wear without having to overthink it
Ringy
825 posts
I'm not a fan of super shiny and matte just doesn't suit my lips. I think I favor sheer tints.
neninoir
210 posts
Been a matte girl for years ( a blue based red is my fav) but since I discovered "I am Sin" lippys I have really been enjoying a more satin finish :) I really love both but if I could only choose one, it would be Matte :)
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Atm it's matte finish but I use to like a but of the sheen look for the natural nude yet moist effect. Now it's as Koni say opaque matte finish, & trying to up with bold colours I love found my love for blue based reds aswell. I counted my lipsticks over the weekend 45 & counting not bad from only owning one in March being the BRBB lopstick from Max Factor oh how this site has enabled me I love it x
chikoboo
3402 posts
Aha that's the brand you told me about Sarah! I must remember again come payday just found monster makeup liquid lipstick and spent way more than I should eek! My weakness pretty packaged matte lipsticks hehehe
DianaN
143 posts
I really like Satin finish. I like matte lips but they are waaaay too drying on my lips whereas satins look great, stay on a good amount of time and feel moisturising too!
Rezee
1964 posts
I think I prefer matte lipsticks or at least something long lasting. I dont mind other finishes but I hate chunky glitter!
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I like super glossy finishes and a lot of the time I do prefer a very pigmented lip. But I have to admit, I have a weakness for lip butters.
alikat
423 posts
Satin or Matte - and totally opaque. That said, today I was wearing my new YSL Rouge Volupte Shine and the wear time didn't impress me and the coverage wasn't opaque, but it did leave a nice kind of stain on my lips... 

I do have two NARS satin lip pencils to try, so hope they're as nice as the satin MAC lipsticks!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ummm good question x I'm more of a sheen or sheer kind of girl.  I can't stand matte due to my super dry skin which is a shame because there are some beautiful matter lippies out there.  I also don't like the way they feel.  But sometimes a lipstick can be too sheer or shiny.  I guess it depends on the brand, I tend to go for creamy formulas, so not sure whether that is a category all on its own? x
janini9
341 posts
I love them all, but in saying that I've only gotten into matt lipstick this year and it's currently my favourite. I do love sheer for summer though.
Macs
5351 posts
I like the liquid Matte lipsticks. I think I favour them more than the other kind.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
From the ones I've tried it'd definitely have to be creamy formulas, like the Cremesheens from MAC. I'm yet to try the Amplified and Satin finishes so may prefer those but I just need my lippy to be comfortable. I'll wear a matte on occasion if I need something longer lasting but I don't handle the dryness factor very well.
idomakeupnz
150 posts
I only ever wear matte formulas or lip creams that dry down to a creamier matte finish.
I can't stand product sliding around on my lips, it makes me paranoid haha I freak out about whether or not it's on my teeth, in my hair or smudged outside of the lip line. Plus mattes are far less maintenance.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!