Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What's something that's the bane of your beauty existence....?

38 posts, 19 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
Something that's a neverending battle, or an ongoing saga, that you wish there was a one-time fix for?

For me, it's the hairdye.  No matter which one I use, or if I get it done professionally, I get about 10 days to 3 weeks from a dye, so I'm constantly re-dying my locks.  Would love to be able to just fill the follicles with dye and have the hair grow out brown lol
kirstyj
1732 posts
For me it would be the pimples around my nose and chin... somehow they just won't go away. Sometimes they die down a wee bit and others they just flare up. I wish they would just disapear.
trudijoy
8375 posts
kirsty i was the same until about a year ago, and now I get the odd one.  Hopefully the same happens for you x
Koni
444 posts
Trudi do you know why that is?

For me it's my hooded eyes. It annoys me when you put a lot of effort into an eye makeup look but you can't see most of it haha. I'm aware of eye makeup looks for hooded eyes but sorry they're not as cool as those you can actually see.
kirstyj
1732 posts
That is a good one Koni! I have that problem too... so I have given up on eyeshadow most of the time now.
trudijoy
8375 posts
koni I don't even know what hooded eyes are lol.  I keep hearing the term but idk...

my hair, as far as I can tell, is part genetics and part my thyroid disorder.  My dad's sister was grey by the time she was 20;  I started at 11 and would be fully grey if I let it grow now.  My follicles appear to have lost the ability to grow anything with colour, yet my mum started going grey at like, 50... nearly ten years AFTER me.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Yes hooded eyes are the bane of my existence! I love eyeshadow, but its like why spend so long doing a look that noone is going to see
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Continually clogged/clogging pores, a never ending battle that I seem to be losing.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
And I forgot never having enough money to buy all the goodies that I want, but that might be a few peoples.
I feel your pain when it comes to your hair Trudi!  You'd think I would do the sensible thing and chop it to start with lol. x
trudijoy
8375 posts
i love having long hair so i put up with it lol... i only dye my roots though and coz it's often different shades of brown it makes it look more natural somehow lol
hahah  snap!  I 'touched up' earlier today.  Good to go for 1-3 weeks hopefully  :-)
chikoboo
3402 posts
Kirsty have you tried witchhazel toner for around your nose area I find that it balances the skin which practically eliminates the pimples.  My bane is lack of facial structure I mean no visible cheekbones just podgy cheeks on a round face with dimples that even when I was a size 10 were annoying not cute! Hence contour hell and not being able to change it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
whittakers i'm toying with the idea of really dark purple once i'm working from home....
Good on you Trudi.  You are lucky to have the flexibility with hair colour now.  And since you need to maintain often, your new colour will always look fab! x
kirstyj
1732 posts
I might give that a go Chikoboo. Do you pick yours up from iherb? Something has to work eventually.
trudijoy
8375 posts
seeing as i might have to go down to dunedin often with the new job i'm hoping to reinstate my former (amazing) hairdresser.  She used to do my hair in black with flashes of pink and purple, and i loved it.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Yep I'm on the hooded eye band wagon! It's such a pain having to take your eyeshadow up 10 inches for it to be visible . I've noticed lately though that it seems more people have hooded eyes than those who don't, so I strangely find that a little reassuring lol.
Koni
444 posts
Hooded eyes have an extra fold of skin that covers the crease so you can't see as much of the eye makeup as you would on someone who doesn't have hooded eyes. The only way others would fully see it is if I walked around with my eyes closed haha.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Sure do its the Thayers brand.
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh...i don't think i have that?  totally touching my own eyes atm trying to figure it out lol
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Lucky you trudijoyi never even realised i had them until i got into eyeshadow. It was a sad sad day 
Rezee
1964 posts
I think I hsve slightly hooded eyes, its hard to tell actually.  I can see my eyeshadow when my eyes are open but I have an extra crease to the side. That sounds weird but hopefully you will know what I mean.

I wish that I could have perfectly moisturised skin all the time. My dry nose drives me insane and although me using oils over the last year has really helped, it is still dry on top and foundation looks patchy after half a day.
chloednz
217 posts
Yup I too have slightly hooded eyes, I think they have become more hooded as I have gotten older (although it may be that I'm just noticing now as I am more into makeup).

The worse thing for me is hormonal breakouts, doesnt matter how diligent I am with my skincare I almost always have a couple either active or healing breakouts :/
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Your probably not wrong chloednzwith age, hooded eyes can become more hooded as the skin starts to sag more. When im thirty, you probably won't even be able to see my eyes under my hoods. 
chikoboo
3402 posts
Yep another awesome thing *not* about getting older is eyes get hooded, mine are semi hooded due to the shape of my eye, the ends nearly touch my brow bone so the skin naturally folds there but it just means I take my crease line up higher than it normally sits and it balances out nicely enough I think. 
Macs
5351 posts
Same as you kirsty. I havent been posting selfies because I have a flareof acne. It comes and goes. Especially around my chin area. I have one big one on my forehead at the moment . Hopefully it will pass.
alyshajayne
92 posts
Hooded eyes here too! So frustrating :( one of mine is worse than the other too. I hate to think what they will look like in 10 years!
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Ah chikoboo what a clever idea of taking the crease line higher! Il be trying that out for sure! Sometimes I feel like such a novice when it comes to makeup
chikoboo
3402 posts
Binary only a little bit and using a lighter shade then you would normally to crease helps, as does smudging a little of the crease colour under the lower lash line, it's a trick of the mind making it look more wider =)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Hair removal. A constant battle.
Mila
1209 posts
Dark Circles is mine !.  Doesnt matter what products I try I have never been able to get rid of them, its not from sleep deprivation or anything like that its hereditary and amplified by my allergies to everything haha....I have learnt to embrace them a bit more as ive got olrder I used to stress about them so much in my younger years trying skin bleaching products and all sorts.. 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Mine is red skin. I hate it. I get super red cheeks sometimes and it's a massive cause of self consciousness for me so I'm always trying to cover them up. For years I never wore blush because I thought it would make the redness look worse. 
My eyebrows. They say your eyebrows are supposed to be sisters but they may as well be second cousins and I have no idea how to fill them in so they don't look awful as a result.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Haha Jess I have red cheeks too! We can be clowns together :-) like Twisty! cept less... dead. Lol. For me it's probably the dryness around my nose, its like it cakes up around my nostrils and looks really, really awful. I've tried a lot of things to get rid of/help it and nothing seems to help it stay away!
MareeB
5242 posts
Hooded eyes, wrinkles, facial hair, thinning hair. A constant battle but so far I'm still fighting it!
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Yes facial hair! How could i forget that
charly
456 posts
My eyebrows. Brows frame a face and bring balance etc. Except when they're invisible. It's not hard to dye them, but for some reason it's always the last thing I feel like doing so I just spend most of my life looking like Lady Gaga doing her bleached brow look!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!