Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What will you not do again in the name of beauty?

35 posts, 26 members
charly
456 posts
I was pondering all the things one can do for beauty and it got me wondering... What have you done in the name of beauty that you regret or would not repeat? 

Probably the thing I most feel I should apologise to my body for is getting a Brazilian a couple of times. Why did I put my poor nether regions through that?? Especially when the outcome was looking like I hadn't hit puberty yet! 

What have you done that you won't do again?
shazatron101
5112 posts
I actually swore not to wax my legs or pits again. I had them done when I was still at school, helping out a girl who was doing her beauty exams. Both hurt like a mother trucker! But recently I got the glorious sugar wax and I barely feel it so either it's cos I can handle inflicting pain on myself, or it's cos she sucked at waxing hahaha
charly
456 posts
Ooo... pits hurt. Brave you! I go for the trusty razor there!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Nah the pits don't hurt at all! Haha I was shaving but then my armpits would get so itchy to the point of me scratching them so badly they would be sore and irritated for the rest of the day (and still bloody itchy!!) Waxed them and found out it was the razor that was causing it, so I'm going to biff it and get disposables for extreme emergencies lol
Jesse
745 posts
Acryllic nails! Never again, ruined my natural nails and made them so weak.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Me too Jesse. It took my nails years to come right afterwards. 
MareeB
5239 posts
I won't get another mullet. Or another perm. EVER.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Depilitory cream, ever, not trusting those chemical skin bombs ever again.
SandieNZ
424 posts
Totally agree about the acrylic nails!  My poor nails suffered so badly and have only just recovered - I only had them on for a week and then had them removed, and that was about 3 months ago!!

And ugh - depillatory cream, the smell alone.....
Koni
444 posts
I will never ever give myself a braz again - take it to the beauticians ladies - trust me.  The most traumatising thing is KNOWING you're about to inflict pain on yourself - Nads Bikini Wax is not your friend.
ChristieMJ
358 posts
Yes I feel you on that one Koni! Tried once myself, never again!

Eyebrow waxing! Had a reaction to the wax and was left with eyebrow surroudning tiny pimples for a wee.. not fun!
chikoboo
3402 posts
Curl my eyelashes with a curler. Nope, nah nah never going to happen!  Luckily I do have thick and curled natural lashes but I would never touch the actual curlers as they scare the heck out of me!!!
charly
456 posts
Oh Christie, that sounds terrible! When eyebrows go wrong there is no way to hide it!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Probably eyelash extensions. They get ratty and tangled on me and I hate having to be so careful with them. Plus they leave my natural lashes looking a bit sad.
Macs
5351 posts
Theres a couple of things I wont do in the name of Beauty. A brazillian, Im a very private person I couldnt handle the pain down there lol, Acrylic nail , although they seem really beautiful, I've heard so many horror stories of how nails get damaged. Another one is cupping, it looks freaky as.
Mila
1209 posts
I'm with a few of you ladies on acryllic nails, my nails never grew how I wanted them to so i tried to get acryclics and while they did look glorious and I felt all fancy they did destroy my already sad little nails :)
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I'm with Koni on this - never again will I go a DIY Brazilian. It was traumatising! 
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
DIY Brazilian!! I burnt my finger on the wax and needed medical treatment. Was kinda embarrassing explaining what I was doing! Pleased it wasn't "down there" that needed looked at
MareeB
5239 posts
I've never done acrylic nails and never wanted to. I have secretly wanted a brazilian but you ladies have cured me of that now - I hate pain!!!!
shazatron101
5112 posts
I remembered when I was in high school, for my ball I had acrylics nails. They were horrible and ugly and I regretted them the next day when one came loose in the shower and I ended up picking them all off. I do however LOVE shellac - so nice!
kknz
82 posts
Electrolysis of the upper lip, never felt so much pain in my life (and I've had children!!) 
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
A PERM!!!! 
Ah I had hip length hair black/blue natural off cause ha ha not....... and I got a PERM not just any perm but a spiral PERM it's the closest I've ever come to dreadlocks oh and boy did it last those were the days eeeeee my poor hair :)

trudijoy
8375 posts
at home waxing after last weeks nightmare!  I'll just PAY people to do that haha.

Also never using Baby Foot again, ever.  So disgusting
charly
456 posts
Oh dear Farmers Wife, that sounds super awkward! Lol! However as you say, could easily have been worse!
Kellyleanne
551 posts
Hair extensions, I found them uncomfortable and such high maintenance. Glad I have long natural hair these days.

Also eyelash extensions and acrylic nails I wouldn't probably do again. Love the look of acrylic nails but my nails were so weak afterwards. Eyelash extensions didnt last as long as I had hoped, and prefer just using mascara.
Kimrose
1415 posts
My family have strict instructions to lock me away if I ever mention getting a perm again! 
Never, ever again would I get acrylic nails.  If I knew the damage and how long it takes for your nail to recover,  I would wind the clock back.  hahah  I had a chuckle with a few of your experiences.  Beautician all the way  :-) x
Marcel
335 posts
Acrylic nails for me too! I did it once and they completely destroyed my natural nails, leaving them ripped up and very sore! Also I've had enough disasters With fake to be afraid of it..
Marcel
335 posts
fake tan
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Wax. Anything. Ever.

Or overdraw my lips haha
Shaz308
13 posts
I agree with ragingfrog, never again with depilatory cream for me!  The smell of burning hair, the burning skin and the painful rash that lurked for weeks was enough to put me off.  

It was a completely counterproductive ordeal too because the rash left me unable to shave for ages.
charly
456 posts
I've tried depilatory cream a couple of times and it never removed my fine blonde hair. Waste of time and money! Anyone else had that experience?
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Shaz308 sounds exactly like every time I have used the stuff and each time I have tried it again because it has a "new gentle formula", reality the stuff could strip paint, I don't think there is much gentle about it.
Ringy
825 posts
Waxing doesn't bother me at all- I happily Brazilian year round and don't mind doing it myself although it's much quicker at a salon.

Definitely won't do arcrylic nails - feels like years before they are back to normal. Actually I have the same problem with shellac too- is that just me picking or does anyone else think it ruins your nails too? 
mallomiss
569 posts
I'm a fan of the Brazillian but would never attept it myself! 
Acrylics -- ahhh I love them but yes they destroy the natural nail. I've thought about getting them again as I want really long Stiletto nails but I don't think I will as the damage isn't worth it.
I got ring extensions once and what a nightmare they are!! I can't understand how they're so popular! I coulnd't brush my hair properly, I had them falling out daily and I felt like my scalp never really got clean! YUK!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!