Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What Were Your Best Beauty Investments and NBR Buys of 2016 and Why?

25 posts, 12 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
Looking over 2016 some of my best beauty investments were:

- Hourglass Ambient Wardrobe palette

Why: It gives the most beautiful glowy finish to my skin and I can use it when I'm rushed for time and because it's not something that messes up easily or overapplies easily.

- Best Ever Beauty Boxes 

Why: Fullsized products at a discount and opportunities to try new products.

- Conair Reflections LED Lighted Mirror

Why: I use this every day, in fact more than my full length mirror. And after years of standing up trying to do eye makeup it's so nice to be able to sit down and apply it with everything in easy reach on my table instead of leaning in in an uncomfortable position trying to get my winged eyeliner right. It does have the 7x magnification on the other side of the mirror but I use the normal mirror almost always.

Best Vault purchase

-Billion Dollar Brows 60 Seconds to Beautiful Brows

Why: My first brow powder gives beautiful natural fuller looking brows. Honestly if I hadn't scored this in the vault I would've saved up and bought it. 

- Scentsy Warmer and Bars

Why: Gorgeous yummy, high end layered scents at an affordable price. I can leave it on all night and know it's safe to have on. Superb scent throw and lasting scent. Each bar has 8 cubes and at a very conservatively estimated 8 hrs of scent (almost aways I get at least 10-15 hours but just to be on the safe estimate) per cube and if you get the 6 bars for under $50 pack you're getting at least 384 hours of good scent. You really can't beat that price wise. And it's become my nightly luxury.

- Electronic Foot Warmer

Why: If you suffer from cold feet year round this is soooo handy. It efficiently warms my feet and has a low wattage so doesn't cost much to run.

That's what I can think of for now what are your best Beauty and NBR investments of 2016?

RamblingRose
1280 posts
My Real Techniques brush set because they're awesome brushes that don't shed and work well. 

NBR purchase - HoMedics Shiatsu Neck & Shoulder Massager ... utter bliss! 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Is that the sort of collar shaped one Silvene? I have that and it's epic
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Yes, the collar-shaped one with the looped handles and the 3 settings (vibrate, massage & heat) 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yay that's it, I got it in a vault about 18 months ago and it's heaven. So perfect for me with my bad spine
MareeB
5241 posts
BR - I bought tons of beauty boxes !! why? because they're great value and I love surprises, and I am able to gift nice things to my friends.

NBR - I also bought a car in June, that I love and hope will last me for years. Why? because my son has my other car and I got sick of waiting outside work or walking home in the cold.

Outside of that, I mostly bought plants and garden stuff - my favourite indulgence! Why? because I love pottering around outside by myself and making my yard look colourful.

I'm trying to throw out more than I bring in and I'll continue on that path this year.
Macs
5351 posts
In 2016 Best Beauty Boxes saved a lot of money there. My billion dollar brow kit and Blvgari perfume from the vault both standout pieces that I treasure.

Too Faced Chocolate Bar , Smashbox , Make Up Geek best eye shadows of the year. Incredible pigmentation without eye shadow primer. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Best beauty buy was def the Kat von D Metal Matte palette and her Bauhau5 ELL.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I love this thread! But also such a hard one to answer. I look back at my very first 'makeupselfie' on beauty review to what I feel I'm achieving now and I know I've learnt a lot and come a long way in just a year. In 2016 I think I've spent the most money on beauty related products I have ever before in my life. So to pick 1 product would be a really tough choice as I treasure all my purchases! HOWEVER.....The biggest thing for me this year has been SKIN CARE. It will be the one thing I will happily spend on! I can not believe the amazing condition of my skin since purchasing Skincare products this year.
1 ultimate fave product this year would be false lashes! I love how they can dress up what you create.

NBR- would be my handbag that I've technically purchased in 2016 but won't get until feb is a Marvel Avengers handbag. For me it's because even though I'm almost 28, I'm being me! It's quirky and to some people kiddie but I love Marvel and DC characters!
tannygirl
3392 posts
Not overly expensive in comparison to the other things I've bought but items that I discovered made a big difference for me and I will continue to buy:

- Sheet masks

Why: Awesome for effectively putting moisture in your skin and improving the look over time. I did the one a day with some cheaper ones and I found the really fine lines less obvious. 

- Sabun soap

Why: I have this sensitive skin that turns blotchy when water hits it. I was so itchy after my nighttime showers and had to use balms and stuff to soothe it or go to bed itchy. I used this for my showers for about a week and half and noticed that I less marks after showers. Since then it has become a staple, sure I like my other soaps and gels but I stick to this most nights. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
BR- Definately my skinfood rosehip oil and the moisture mist bb and cc creams. These have helped my skin dramatically.

NBR - Buying a new car a few months ago :-)
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
BR - would be the BBBE. It's exciting to open and great value for money. Another would be all the lip balms I brought off iherb. They will last me years and are amazing lip balms. Also I brought one of the bossy hot pads. So good for protecting surfaces and travelling.

NBR - not really sure. Probably a double USB car charger because it has settled disputs on who gets to charge their device first.
kirstyj
1732 posts
I actually haven't purchased much at all this year... but a wedding will do that to you. 

BR - Would have to be my Charlotte Tilbury Instant Look palette as I have gotten so much use out of it and it is the best palette for travelling.

NBR - I bought a new (to me) car in January that I had saved for for over a year. Nothing fancy but still really loving having something reliable. Will have to celebrate its anniversary by giving it a new Scentsy disk :P
MareeB
5241 posts
I just ordered "the People vs O J Simpson" after reading Kris Jenners book, which focussed quite heavily on Nicole Brown's murder, as they were all close friends.

I told my son last night I'm going to spend less this year and be more careful with money. He said "Are you Miss Beauty Box?" well, ahem, what can I say......
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I have to agree the BBBE are the best beauty buy I have had this year, and a candle that I got from the CS shop, so nice.
Non BR would be my salt lamp, nice to relax with it on, and my new phone, just a cheapy but it does all I need it to.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
MareeB there are worse addictions to have, and anyway BBBE are an investment in the search for quality beauty products that work for you.
MareeB
5241 posts
Oh that's so true Ragingfrog, and I really have stepped up my game since trying all of the products I'd never tried before. Plus that, they just make me happy :)
Macs
5351 posts
Omg thats kind of cute of him Maree. I can't wait to see what new boxes they will bring out. Lots of boxes have sold out. I wish I got some in the boxing day sale lol
MissQT
1547 posts
Kirsty where did you buy your CT palette from?

BR - I think I would say is my VS 3Q hairdryer. It's so good and has saved drying time as I have very thick hair. I think I bought this in 2016?

NBR - I upgraded my phone to an iPhone and I've loved it ever since. Mainly because it's faster for browsing and using the Internet.
MissQT
1547 posts
tannygirl where did you get your got warmer from? I'm always cold too.
tannygirl
3392 posts
MissQT my Scentsy warmer I bought off a friend that I've met a couple times and know online she's fantastic to buy from customer service wise. My footwarmer I bought from http://www.naturaproducts.co.nz. There is one that's slightly cheaper without the massage function personally I have only used the massage function a couple times.
kirstyj
1732 posts
MissQT I got it from Beautylish - great website.
MissQT
1547 posts
thanks tannygirl, I was asking about your foot warmer. Sorry that was a typo in my previous post!

thanks Kirsty, I see they are out of stock at the moment and I'm not sure it will come back in stock as its a limited edition. When did you buy yours, was it earlier on in the year? I'm not too sure when the palette was released, but from a quick google it looks like it was released in the UK mid year.
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I'm going to add my Beautylish 2017 Lucky Bag to the list, since I paid for it at the end of 2016. I'm really happy with it the most expensive items in the box (the Charlotte Tilbury Dolce Vita quad and It Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream) were ones I will use and in fact the Charlotte Tilbury fits into the description of I really wanted one but could never justify forking out 52USD for four pans of eyeshadow. I also received Jefree Star in Androgyny which was on my wishlist all last year but was always sold out or when it was in stock I needed other things so I never bought it so I was thrilled! I also got a Wayne Goss 04 brush which I wanted a Wayne Goss brush just not the brow kit since I have a number of spoolies and angled brushes already and since it's expensive it would mean the other items in my box would have to cost less.
    While other people's boxes retail value did add up to more there were alot of items in other boxes that I wouldn't have been as thrilled to get so I really did get lucky this year and got four out of six items that I really did like and the ones I had to figure out how to use or don't have a use for yet were the small Z-palette and a small pot of cream bronzer which I may try using as a eye base. 
     Whether this box is worth it to you comes down to whether you'll use the items in it and really like what you get and I was just really lucky this year.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
My beauty blender
Mario Beduschea skincare
Beautylish lucky bag
Summer BBE
Bioderma micellar water
ABH brow definer
ABH MR
IT COSMETICS cc cream
Scentsy burners
BBW 3 wick candle in suntan
Maybelline fix master setting spray
It cosmetics byebye pores setting powder in translucent.
Lush first year ever using it
Beauty vault the lush bubble bar flamingo, living nature mask & Dermologica primer Radiance supplements.
Soap n Glory Xmas set
Becca afterglow palette

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!