Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What is the most layers of nail polish you have had on your nails?

36 posts, 28 members
MicheleC
419 posts
So I look at my nails and think shall I just put another couple of coats on and change the colour I have on or strip the lot off and start again?

At the moment I have 12 layers of polish on including base, and top coats.

Recently I have bought new nail polish and today 4 more bottles arrived by courier! 

I adore the colour I have on but now I have new nail polish I want to try one of the new ones! About a week ago I started with a cherry red colour. Then a few days later painted burgundy over the top. another couple of days later I bought Orly Garnet Luxe Shimmer and Cherry Creme (2 for $20) and painted on the Garnet colour. Counting back the days Garnet was added on Sunday. So now we are at Wednesday and .....

How long will I resist??!!
pintsize
1072 posts
Wow! 12 coats? that's epic!

Most I have done is 5 and that is with base & top... maybe stretch to 6 if I extended the wear by a few days and that isn't my normal application either (I am so lazy with base & top coats).
Macs
5351 posts
I normally have about 3-4 layers of polish. I cant say I ever put as much as you on . I like all colours . Ive got magenta on now.
MicheleC
419 posts
I wouldn't normally have 12 coats on!

I was just too lazy/impulsive to take the old polish off and put the new on.

So within 15 minutes of posting my hand went into the bag with all of my nail polish paraphenalia and I took out the Maybelline Express Remover. I have now taken all of the multilayered polish off ready to start again with one of my new polishes! lol
SandyGedge
394 posts
My most probably would be around 6 layers cause I can be lazy at removing it hehe
jaybeejack
116 posts
Haha 12 is definately a lot.

I have had a good 8 layers on - I wanted a really glittery accent nail and the polish I had just wasnt dense enough so I had to reapply numerous times to get the desired effect. It was a bi-atch to remove though!

Holy moly, 12 coats!  Is that 12 coats of the same colour or forever changing?? lol

The most I have worn would be 5, including base and top coat.
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Woah were your nails like... 3D-ish? 12 coats that's mind blowing lol! The most I have had was this past weekend (did it on Friday), 5 coats, including the base n topcoat. middle three were made up of a coloured polish and two layers of glitter. It made my nail polish really thick and I ended up literally peeling it all off on Sunday lol
Kia
550 posts
12 coats?? Doesn't that ruin the colours on the nail?The most I've had is about 8 when I did the galazy design 
MicheleC
419 posts
Coats:
1 Base
2 Cherry red
3 Cherry red
4 Cherry red
5 Top coat
6 Burgundy
7 Burgundy
8 Topcoat
9 Garnet
10 Garnet
11 Topcoat
12 Topcoat - first one had lots of line in it after a nights sleep
MicheleC
419 posts
When I thought about the 12 layers I though I can't be thicker than having acrylic or false nails, so didn't think it was that much of an issue. Had to laugh though!

melly650
375 posts
Ha! I'm not near that! The most I have ever had on my nails are 3 coats, of the same colour. I always think of what it'll be like to take it off and then I dont go over with another colour haha!
nplewinski
6 posts
The most is 7 layers!!! so crazy but was with that opi candy glitter and goes on so thin and i wanted it to look super thick. Took literally hours to remove it all though ahh
Mahmii
2 posts
Wow the most ive had is 2 coats of polish thats it i dont have any top or base coats lol
i cant even do 3 layers of polish as it feels too thick but so will try hahahah
RianaRoera
82 posts
Wow 12 layers is alot, I always use a base coat to prevent stainage, 2 coats of colour sometimes 3 depending on how bright the colour is then a top coat. Some nail varnishes I find are very watery hence the 3 coats at times
ChristieMJ
358 posts
Wow thats insane! I only have patience for two coats max haha, most the time its just one! 
kirstysays
762 posts
The most I have ever had would be 6 (base coat, 3 x polish shade which was not opaque enough and needed three coats and the top coat x 2)
STORM03
94 posts
WOAH!!!! 12???!!!!! THATS AMAZING! :O

the most ive done if i can remember right (as it was a while back) was 7 coats of Black... i love black so much!!!! :D

i dont/have never used base or top coat... i know i know, im terrible. :D
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
12 Coat's, wow! haha even 7 Is a crap load lol The most I've ever had on my nail's would be 3 coat's, But that's two coat's of the same color plus the top coat, Otherwise my nail's just feel to heavy and just thick n gross.
niv-nailkeeper
97 posts
12 coats? wow. I normally have 4-5 coats including base coat and top coat. The only time I apply multi coats is with OPI Passion. It takes good 3-4 coats to get the right color on my nails. 
STORM03
94 posts
Ahhh, yess, even 7 is terrible, but i juust cant get over the number 12!!! :O :D
Kittik
179 posts
I recently purchased a cheap ombre look nail polish kit from the warehouse, I think LA Girl was the brand? By the end of it, I think I had close to 12 coats on..

It is 5 small bottles, that graduate from light to dark in colour. Awful quality, but a lot of fun to do.. applyinga good top coat is a must. The nail polish is super watery, so I needed 2-3 coats of overlapping colour.

Not bad for $5, its one of those fun things to do while watching telly :)
george
150 posts
12 is crazy, haha! Most I've ever had would probably be about 6 including a base and top coat!
MicheleC
419 posts
Lol. Nice to see all the replies. I have been less naughty recently and taken my polish off between colours. The only thing I notice is that polish doesn't last on me that long. I use a good base coat and a top coat and usually don't get more than 3 days before chipping happens. Quite frustrating on one hand but a good excuse on the other as I get to change colour more regularly.
Krystina
11 posts
12! Oh Lordy ???? 
I usually have 4 layers on, but if I'm using a glitter or feather effect polish I'll have more, it annoys me when chunky glitter polishes go patchy 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Searching for something, came across this thread. Not what I wanted but this video is quite relevant to the question hahaha. 100+ coats of polish! It looks so weird! and I imagine it would be quite heavy too. Thoughts?
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Shaz, that video is crazy! That many layers of polish is just awful and makes it look like those horrible acrylic bubble nails. Ugh! 
Kimrose
1416 posts
OMG Shaz, that is so ikky!  Who would think of doing such a thing?!! I can handle 4 or 5 tops.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
It was a challenge Kim, where she had to paint with every polish she has but I do think it was a little crazy
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahaha it's weird hey! I don't think I'd try it - as Silvene said it looks a lot like the bubble nails, and imagine how long that would take to dry! Nooooope haha I'll stick to my normal 4 coats lol (base, 2 color and top!)
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
What the heck did I just watch! lol 116 layers, that was nuts.
saw a video of 256 polishes. Maybe beauty review should see who can do the most layers 
Macs
5351 posts
That was alot of coats. Looked kinda freaky aye 
MissQT
1547 posts
Jessie at nailed it nz did that challenge too. She got to 133 I think. Here's the video. The most I've done is 6 I think
250+ polishes  
tannygirl
3392 posts
The most I've done was five last week. Base coat, two coats of fuschia plum, top coat and a glittery nail treatment top coat for four of my feature nails.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!