Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

what is something you don't do?

60 posts, 48 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
I don't contour. Starting to wonder if I missed out on something and should try it lol...

I do a little thing with highlighter to alter my nose but thats it
kirstyj
1732 posts
Winged eyeliner... I swear my eye shape just won't allow it. I do try it though, it is a lot of fun. Sometimes I think I have gotten it then look up and it is just a clump of black.

You should try contouring Trudijoy. I love it and do it everyday (lightly) these days. I haven't fully tested it yet but the Sleek face form kit is great with a blush, highlight, and contour and I got mine for $22 off makeup.co.nz so wasn't too bad to try (and the contour/bronzer is light enough for me which is amazing). It is particularly fun to try when you have time to see how you can change your face shape. I like it on my nose particularly too.
astylecollector
204 posts
I don't wear eyeliner. I have the winged eyeliner once in a while if I have a party but not on an every day basis. I simply don't have the time. Same goes with eyeshadow but I'm keen to learn that.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I don't currently use a primer. I've recently found that my foundation sits better and lasts longer without primer underneath. I think it's probably something to do with the fact that I already apply a boat load of moisturiser and sunscreen before any primer, so there's probably just too many layers for it to be of any use. Either way, one less step in my makeup routine for better results? Yes please!
idomakeupnz
150 posts
I'm really terrible at keeping my nails looking tidy! I wish I was better because I have horrible cuticles - eek!
I also don't contour, personally don't like how it looks and don't understand the hype.

I never use to bronze and highlight but have started to do that since my skin has become less oily.
1139 posts
I don't use an eye cream... I feel like I'm in the minority when it comes to this!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I don't do blush, it just somehow always looks wrong on me no matter how much I try.  Also winged eyeliner only because I just can't do it.  I need some tutorials ha ha ha x
sunelizabeth
410 posts
Blush also looks weird on me. Or maybe I'm just crap at applying it....be interesting to see how it would look on me if a makeup pro did it. Eyeliner always makes me look like a bit of a hooker too, because I am quite pale.
chloednz
217 posts
I still cant quite get my head around bronzer and contour. I find bronzer looks either non-existent or oompaloompa on me- I just cant seem to find a happy medium! One day when I'm feeling generour I'll splurge on some Hoola but right now the price freaks me out considering I dont even know if I suit bronzer. I'd also love to have an expert contour my face so I can see how its done properly- am keen to try either the sleek kit or acontour when $ allows.

I also agree about winged eyeliner- I dont think they suit my eyeshape either. As soon as my eyes are closed the wing seems to disapear, even though my eyelids arent hooded. So envy someone who rocks a beautiful wing!
Sylvia
149 posts
I don't use makeup remover wipes - I find they always dry out/irritate my skin, so I stick to oil cleansers or (thanks to BR!) micellar water. :) Not exactly a makeup don't, but I can't think of one of those haha. I guess I don't really contour either? I do often use a light amount of matte bronzer, which adds a bit of definition, but I've never really got into the actual contouring... too tricky for me haha. :) x
Danni
324 posts
Bronzer/Contour! I don't understand it and it always looks disgusting on me :(
chikoboo
3402 posts
I try to contour but it just looks so dirty and murky no matter what bronzer or contour kit use.  I'm not sure if it is my skin fairness or lack of technical skill but it just doesn't look right, perhaps its my face shape too, who knows! I can't do it so I don't =)  However I do blush contour with a blusher and the lighting palette which gives more of a glow than a starkness.
Mila
1209 posts
I don't use winged eyeliner...I just cant get it does my head in.....I've watched so many tutorials tried so many different types of eyeliner used tape just cant get it I feel like im overthinking it !.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I don't contour or use bronzer. I am too scared to try contouring! For me I think it might be a bit much for everyday. It's amazing how much of a difference it can make though!
janini9
341 posts
I just can't get the hang of contouring or bronzer either. I end up looking like I've been in the garden and swiped my hands on my face.  Loving highlighters though.
Something I used to do everyday but now only do if I am doing a full eye look is tightline (eyeliner in my water line) I just find it too much for me everyday. hehe says the girl whose go to look it wings. Also eye cream is something that I cannot get into the routine of.
-Bex-
611 posts
Winged eyeliner and contour I just don't get it! I'm hopeless 
Macs
5351 posts
Contouring but I want to in the future
MissAimeeJean
267 posts
I don't do winged eyeliner - not because I don't like it but because everytime I try one eye looks amazing and the other looks absolutely terrible! Now I just don't bother :-)
neninoir
210 posts
I dont contour as I feel it makes me look older and I dont use bronzer either( never owned one)  ~ I like my pale skin and dont want to warm it up :)
nemesisroxx
506 posts
There isn't anything I won't try, but I don't contour my whole face (just cheek bones and under jaw). Most days I wont prime as I feel it makes my skin get oilyer even faster. I also don't wear much eyeshadow (if any) as it just runs thanks to my oily hooded eyelids. When I do wear eye shadow, it is usually just to take photos then wipe off.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Wow! I'm totally floored by the amount of people who don't bronze or contour. Maybe BR could look at doing an article on bronzing and contouring tips and techniques :)
Lutece
1849 posts
This is a very interesting thread!!
You should give contouring a go and see how you like it :)

Im like Ellie, I dont use eye cream and when I do its not regularly 
Mila
1209 posts
contouring seems to be the big one....I can only lightly contour but I cant do the full monty it just looks wrong on my skin tone I think, I've tried lots of different palettes and kits but a bit of light contouring on my cheekbones is ok but otherwise I find it just doesn't look quite right on me. that's not to say practise wouldn't make that better of course :)
Mine would be bronzer too. At the end of the day it doesn't matter too much since my cheekbones are quite noticeable when I wear blush since they're so high so I just use a blush and a highlighter.
Jesse
745 posts
Hard choice! I didn't know there was a term but I also don't "tightline". I rarely use pencil eyeliner, or for that matter lip liner either.
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Atm I'm not wearing eyeliner or doing extreme contouring (I do use highlighter and bronzer but not for a heavy contoured effect). I watched a Wayne Goss video where he encouraged a slightly more natural look, and compared the current beauty trends (extreme cream contouring, fake lashes, very bold brows etc) to the techniques used by drag queens and it did change my perspective when applying makeup in the morning. This comment isn't against those who do follow those trends, it was just a great video for celebrating natural beauty xx
MissQT
1547 posts
I don't use toner, oops... And I also don't tight line my eyeliner, mainly because its a pain to remove as I have sensitive eyes.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I also don't use a toner whoops doe I need to?  I use everything else :)
SandieNZ
424 posts
I don't use toner often either Fi - I use it if I'm applying my oxygen serum (it makes it spread further!), otherwise I don't bother.  One beautician told me toner is not really worth it, and another told me that it's essential because it balance the PH in your skin....
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
I don't use sunscreen on my face as much as I should.  I tried contouring a air few times but cannot for the life of me get it right.  Perhaps I am using the wrong brush or maybe I need to try a different contour kit the Australis one isn't as great as I thought it would be.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I hardly ever use concealer - because I wear sunglasses and glasses a lot. I find that my glasses make the concealer run away and I am left with two horrendous rings under my eyes :(
shazatron101
5112 posts
Argh Shana don't say that! I was going to buy that contour kit haha god damn it
Lisa-
79 posts
I don't use toner either, or eye cream and I can't for the life of me get winged eyeliner right! 
100_percent_ash
488 posts
I don't moisturise my body except after shaving. Haha is that bad? 

I also don't use hair product because my hair just kinda does what it does and I never "do" it apart from giving it the odd brush.

MAGPIEFI
615 posts
SandieNZ I've heard it does balance out the ph and remove any excess makeup but hey I just don't bother.
and how awesome is the oxygen serum :) Maybe I'll get some toner and try and make that go further x Good tip thanks 
Jesse
745 posts
I've been told toner isn't essential too but I still prefer to use it. Lately I've switched from  Clinique's Anti-blemish toner to more natural ones, I find the ones that come in spray bottles really refreshing and nice even on no-makeup days to refresh the skin. Sukin, Lush and Oasis have been on my rotation :)
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I don't tightline or wing my eyeliner.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Totally agree Jesse! I live for my Soultime spray toner, it's super refreshing in the morning, and mine has some very handy skin benefits. Definitely a necessity for me.

I just wanted to quickly touch on the fact that toners are no longer like the old school, alcohol laden formula, which stung the skin, felt uncomfortable etc. Most toners these days have dropped all irritants and are now made to actually provide skin benefits :) They can definitely be a worthwhile step in your skincare routine!
MissQT
1547 posts
Thanks sarah, I used a toner years ago but it was just too strong for my sensitive skin and dried it out. I think alcohol was one of the ingredients too so that is probably why.
SandieNZ
424 posts
A lot of the toners I've used in the past have been incredibly drying too (no doubt because of the alcohol content) I've just about used up the last of my current shiseido softener so I'll be looking for a natural toner to replace it with.
chikoboo
3402 posts
For those of you who don't tone due to it being to harsh or drying on your skin it is the alcohol in some of the brands that do that.  I have been using Thayers aloe vera toner for ages now and it does wonders for the skin but as it is an all natural non alcohol toner it doesn't dry out the skin, but actually hydrates it and reduces the pores across the cheeks and nose area.  So if you already buy off of iherb then I 100% recommend you look at Thayers range, they are around the $8 mark I think but a bottle lasts me 3-4 months so it is super affordable.   My favourite one is the rose one as it does soften the skin as well as tone it.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I also like that toners you can get from iherb, especially the rose water ones. Lush do nice non irritating toners too. The worst one for me is Clinique clarifying lotion. Smells and feels like paint stripper to me. 
ladythorn
108 posts
I don't tone and I don't use an eye cream. My goal over the next few months is to start using more lip liners :)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Like a lot of ladies on here, i don't contour, although it is something i would like to work on.. probably in the privacy of my own house for the first few times :D
trudijoy
8375 posts
Loved reading these answers!

Weighing in on the toner debate - tried several and there really wasn't a heck of a lot of difference to my skin, so axed using one altogether.
Marcel
335 posts
I don't think there's much I don't do on the subject since being so informed by BR, but as others mentioned I would never 'tightline'- lining the water line which is something I habitually did as a teenager. I've found it's a far better look to line just under or along the lashes.
Kellyleanne
551 posts
I don't contour either, wouldn't really know how to start...should really watch some youtube tutorials so I can learn.
SandieNZ
424 posts
I am so proud of myself - I used my Australis contour kit again today and it actually looked ok!  Not amazing, but ok - no strange streaks on my face, the first time I used it I actually looked like the 'how to' guide on the back lol.  I had to have a pic taken at work so I'm keen to see how it turned out :)
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Tehe, that's awesome Sandie. The age old saying is true - practice makes perfect! Or practice makes for a better contour...haha. I've heard such mixed reviews about that palette so am glad you've made it work for you :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!