Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What do you take on trips?

28 posts, 14 members
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
So I'm going on a week long holiday in a couple weeks to Auckland, and as I'm making a list of what I want to take with me, I realise I have waaayy too many things in my makeup/skincare section. What would be the essentials that you'd take, and what are the things you'd take if there's space but not essential?
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I'd take the skincare basics, like makeup remover, cleanser, toner, serum, spf moisturizer, sleeping mask or night cream. And then like a couple products in case my skin is extra dry or sensitive or I have a breakout, like a sheet mask and some aloe vera gel (which is a good all rounder for alot of things). If you have any of those 3 step sheet mask packs those are great for travel.   

For makeup I'd pick a palette that has my face basics like bronzer, highlight, powder and blush, eye primer, a BB cream or foundation and primer, concealor, eyeliner, mascara, some brow product, a few mini lipsticks and a couple brushes. If I still have space I'd pack an eyeshadow quad but if you just want a light daytime look you could just use your bronzer or blush from the palette to get a wash of color and then use the highlight for inner eye corners. 

If you have sample sachets of products that you've used before and some little containers you could take those with you and save some space. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I like to keep it basic when I go away but I do prefer a more natural look. Must haves are moisturiser, cleanser, bb cream, mascara, macadamia oil, dry shampoo, razor, perfume, hmmmm they are my daily staples for sure. Ive probably forgotten something important lol
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I've been saving up those mini sample bottles and I bought a cheap plastic syringe a while ago so I might make decants of most of my skincare. I'm too lazy to shave on trips lol I might just get waxed all over the day before leaving.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I travel a LOT and so for me I have travel sized evvvvverything.

Essentials: deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash,shampoo, conditioner, small pottle of hair treatment,razor, makeup remover, cleanser, face cream, one small pottle of mask, shower gel, body lotion, illuminating primer, foundation, bb cream, powder, blusher, highlighter, eyeliners (black and colours plus a sharpener), brow pencil and Gimme Brow, mascara, lipscrub, day lipstick, night lipstick, gloss, perfume, sunblock, hand cream, lip balm, hairspray.

Not essential but nice to have: body butter, eyeshadow palette, micellar water or makeup wipes, dehumidify spray, leave in conditioner, face spray, hair oil
MareeB
5244 posts
I try to cut corners so as not to have too much. I take everything balm and use it for a cleanser and a moisturiser, and use cc cream by itself and forget foundation. The less I have the better!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah I should add that that's my usual travel essentials and my work/leisure travel is about 70/30.

The lightest I've packed makeup wise was probably Samoa where I kinda just got by on illuminating bn, blush, stick highlighter, mascara, eyeliner and lipgloss if I needed face and pretty much just sunblock and lip balm poolside lol
Imoshen
461 posts
I have to second the Micellar Water.  Great to clean brushes if you're away for a while.
Toni-Lee
503 posts
I'm heading to the gold coast in a week and then to Fiji in Jan. Will defiantly watch this thread for some tips. I've been picking up travel size products so it will take up less room and will be taking the goodness makeup balm for make up removal so don't need to worry bout any oils/liquids leaking. I also have 2 perfume decanters so I don't need to take full size bottles.
Macs
5351 posts
That sounds exciting Toni. I didn't know you could decant perfume. 

Normally I buy travel sized for all my bathroom essentials. 
My make up I just go for my face and eyes pallette by tarte. Foundation and three lippies always one nude and two statement colours. Mascara ,eye liner and brow pencil, I just go for make up wipes. I ditch concealer, setting powder, setting spray , face powder.  I just zip lock bag them . 

Toni-Lee
503 posts
Yeah Macs they called perfume refillable atomisers. I bought mine off trademe. Soo handy and cute.
trudijoy
8375 posts
ah i have a couple of those I totally forgot about, Toni! you've just solved a problem for me :D
Toni-Lee
503 posts
Trudi they are that good ay:)
MissQT
1547 posts
I've been wanting to get some perfume decanters for traveling and for just putting in my handbag. For traveling I love putting my products into travel and sample sized containers so they don't take up too much room. I also opt for face and eyeshadow palettes as opposed to individual products.
Julieal
915 posts
I just take minimum when I am away unless it is for work . Basically sun tan lotion,cleanser,serum,moisturizer,lipstick and mascara
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
For make up I usually take brushes, foundation, powder, concealer, a small blush, a mini mascara if I have one, eyeliner, a small palette and a neutral and a bold lipstick.

Skincare I narrow down to moisturizer and cleanser. I also take a spot zapper just in case.

Then the usuals of deodorant, sunscreen etc.

Have a lovely trip :)
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Made a bunch of rollerball perfume decants yesterday. I prefer rollerball to spray packaging because I feel like there's more control using a rollerball and less wasteful.

I didn't even think about bring makeup brushes omg. I'll probably just bring an eyeshadow brush, and use my fingers/the puffs they come with for everything else.
MissQT
1547 posts
Where's the best place to buy those perfume decants? Both spray and roll on
trudijoy
8375 posts
pretty sure i got mine at Daiso
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Don't think I've ever seen a Daiso in south island. I get mine from aliexpress, dirt cheap and works just fine. There's heaps of different sizes too. 
Toni-Lee
503 posts
I bought mine off trademe.
MissQT
1547 posts
Cool thanks for that. I'll look around.
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Such an interesting thread. I have some small pots from the dollar store that I always fill with cleanser, moisturiser and anything else that I don't have a travel sized version for. I always make sure to take a product like a palette or bronzer that has a decent sized mirror - especially in case the hotel room doesn't have good lighting in the bathroom and I need to apply makeup by a window. Enjoy your trip! 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Thank you! I'm really tempted to go buy a mini magnifying light up mirror but I haven't seen any that don't have the stand. I guess I'm just being a little too specific on the requirements. I could always buy a mirror and then snap off the stand hmm.
MareeB
5244 posts
I've been dragging my big magnifying mirror on trips with me. It's bulky, but I can't put on mascara or eyeliner without it! I'd love one with lights.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I'd take my everyday cleanser and my daily moisturiser . My night time rosehip oil and my face scrub that I use every second  day. if there was space I'd take my clay mask with me as I like doing that once a week.
stackbind
4 posts
I usually have travel sizes of the imporant things I need, like moisturizer, make up remover, night creams etc....

for the make up, just go for something natural. my essentials would be bb cream, eyeliner, eyebrow pencil, mascara and lipstick or lip and cheek tint
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I went away for a couple nights and actually ending up packing a huge bag because I didn't want to think and have to make edits just since I like to pack as quickly as possible. I ended up using lots of sachets but I threw in quite a few few sized staples just in case. In the end I ended up using mostly sachets except for things like my sunscreen, spf moisturizer, facial oil, toner and handcream.
  I did have some bodycare products but I was pleasantly surprised to find that this hotel was really nice and had some good quality toiletries in the bathroom so I didn't use the stuff I brought. Ironically, I didn't think to bring bath stuff and I end up with a bathroom that has a bathtub and I was wishing I brought my bath bombs. Though I actually ended up being really busy that day and never got around to having a bath. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!