Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What do you do with makeup/skincare you don't use?

36 posts, 26 members
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
On this lazy Sunday I'm wondering, what do you do with makeup/skincare you don't use? I'm sure there must be at least a few of us who have purchased things, used them once, and decided that although it's a good product, it's just not for you. I have far too much skincare, a mish mash of all different brands and I have decided to have a skincare overhaul and stick to pretty much one brand. Unfortunatly, most of my skincare items are almost full, and cost at least $40 each. I used to give products away via Facebook, and occasionally I would sell a few items on there, but I no longer have Facebook. I also give a lot away to family and friends, but I have just off loaded a whole lot already. What do you do with your extra beauty products? Do you sell them? Give them away? Or let them sit at the bottom of your draw? I'm talking about things that don't pose hygience issues, like face masks in tubes rather than mascaras. 
MareeB
5241 posts
I give them away or hide them where I can't see them then throw them out years later!
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
If its makeup that doesnt work for me or wrong colour/tone I usually ask my girlfriends if they would like it, or I put it away completely forget about it and then bin it when I come across it again :) 
Definitely offer to friends/family.  Some products if unopened may sell or RAOK  :-)
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I generally either use them up or leave them in my make up bag and forget their existence.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I give heaps away. I went through a big clear out of makeup and sold heaps of trademe. I made hundreds!
I also ROAK heaps especially stuff not opened. Even when I was selling on TM I added in heaps of extras for everyone. I have located a couple of addresses of some BR babe's I wanna send a wee something to. I try and figure out what things they like and hope it's a match
Macs
5351 posts
Mines just sitting. I need to give them away, soon.I don't sell stuff, not sure why.
Rezee
1964 posts
Yeh I sell or give away too. Im  trying my hardest to finish up products these days but it is hard when I dont particularly like something. 
kirstyj
1732 posts
I have sold a few things in the past on facebook, but sometimes that just seems like too much effort (to put on the page, and post etc). So most of the time when I can I give to friends or as RAOK. It is nice to know someone else can put it to use.

I am working on getting a more streamlined makeup collection still. It is hard when you love trying new things though.
ChristineHoll
152 posts
I give them to my niece. She's 14 and I think she's actually more obsessed with makeup than I am! She REALLY wants me to do a NYX order so she can piggy-back and get a mini haul herself. 

It's quite handy though, her skin tone is a wee bit lighter than mine but prefers wearing darker foundations so basically anything I get that doesn't match me still somehow manages to look fantastic on her!
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Oh, i either sell mine, or pass them along to family and friends! Depending on what it is ofcourse. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Mum gets first dibs then it's the rest of the friends/family.  If it's open, i won't sell it.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Give it to friends on occassion, eg barely used perfume and not fond of it or unused products that have never been touched I give it to friends. Anything else open or used I either force myself to use it or throw it out.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I don't have any products I don't use or plan to use at a later date if I run out and have a lack of funds. Also I only have one makeup bag full of products so intend to use what I have.

Unless I find another organic/certified natural cosmetic company that I like. At the moment I'm exploring the Living Nature products and loving them :)
alikat
423 posts
Has anyone had any bad experiences with selling makeup on trademe? I've got a MAC cool palette that I'm just not feeling the love for anymore... would rather have the money to buy more makeup hahah.
Kimrose
1416 posts
I have a make up/skin care crazy daughter at university so she always welcomes my purchasing errors. If they are no good for her, she has many friends to pass things onto.
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Alikat I state in mine that auction to be paid for and communication within however many days. I state it loud and clear. I've only had bad experiences with people that bid and have lots of bad feedback so I don't hang around waiting to hear from them. I place bad feedback as well. The more info in the auction the better I reckon
chloednz
217 posts
I give it all to my sis or my mum unless I think its a terrible product (as opposed to just not 'me') then I bin it.
chikoboo
3402 posts
If it's used I throw away. If it's brand new I will give to someone as a RAOK. I used to sell things on FB but left that group so don't bother anymore. Sometimes if I am sent something to try and I don't like it after a swatch and I know someone who wants it I'll ask if they want it first as I've used it.
Mila
1209 posts
I will give away products I've tried that just weren't for me to friends or family. If it's unopened I might sell on trade me I've had some success on there you just have to put a much info as possible to stop loads of questions
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Most of mine go to my mum and sisters. I'm going up there next week and I have brow products, eyeliners I've never used, a foundation my sister will get more use out of, and a couple of lipsticks I don't want any more. I'll also take up some unopened mascaras for them.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I end up giving a tonne away to friends and family and RAOKs, I've sold a few bits and pieces on FB but I'm generally too lazy to bother doing that very often, so I'll just gift em. I always have a stash of products I'm not going to use and will send them to people as I see fit. I'll have to sell a few high end products on FB shortly though as I need to recoup some of the cost, and seeing as they're not available in NZ they generally sell pretty quickly :)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
What FB pages do you guys use to buy and sell it on
chikoboo
3402 posts
Ong I'll add you to the ones I am on =)

DianaN
143 posts
I'll sometimes give away or sell on trademe but that can kind of be a hassle. Which FB pages to do you guys use to sell/give away?
chikoboo
3402 posts
DianeN there is a group called walk in wardrobe that has a couple of groups one of which is makeup in general whilst the other is dedicated to MAC, not sure if they are secret but they are closed so you will need an existing member to add you.
DianaN
143 posts
Okay. Thanks chickoboo
LinF
63 posts
Ladies, does NZ have a similar charity to http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-15/beauty-bank-charity-gives-unwanted-toiletries-to-women-in-need/5811888#main_content
The reason for my enquiry? In order that I can exchange my points for products that can then be donated. If I can collect a whole heap of points before Christmas 2015 it would be a great way to use them don't you think?
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
LinF I love the way you think. I'd message the BR babe's and mention to them what you are thinking. I'm sure they would love to help you out.
alikat
423 posts
I know that Dress for Success takes unused makeup that people can donate.

Maybe the BR Boffins could look at maybe allowing us to make donations using our points to something like Look Good Feel Better instead of against products come Vault time?
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I love that idea alikat!
chikoboo
3402 posts
That is an awesome idea! I'd love to transfer some of my points into helping others =)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Great idea, I really like this.  I always have way too much so giving to someone in need sounds like a really good thing to do xx
alikat
423 posts
I know that 100 points = 10 Vault Dollars, but even if the donations were say, 100 points = $5 donation, that would be something I'd still support. I realise that BR probably has agreements or something commercially sensitive with companies, and LGFB is well supported by the likes of Revlon - but I think this could be worth investigating further!

OVER TO YOU MAGICAL BR FAIRIES!
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Anything that's still in date/isn't unhygenic to reuse I either donate to my charity shop or pop into parcels to send to other BR ladies/family members. I have to admit I'm a hoarder though, I have a hard time parting with beauty products, even if it's stuff I don't use. 
mallomiss
569 posts
I have so much stuff that I just don't use. I was going through my dresser drawers the other day looking for a key & found a heap of mini eyeshadow pallettes & eyeliners among other stuff. Half of it I threw away as it was too messy, 1 Lip stick I have started wearing (it's funny as when I got that I hated the colour but love it now) and I'm not sure what I'll do with the rest...  
I don't think any of it is worth selling...

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!