Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

what do you do with makeup or product you *know* you won't use.

41 posts, 33 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
Mine either goes to my Mum or my friend and her 13 year old. Occasionally to my best friend and her little girls. I won't sell anything once it's open. If its sealed and noone wants it then trademe.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I put in the cupboard and pretend I will use it one day, lol. Well you never know. The bright pink fushia lipstick I won last year finally made it out of the cupboard this week. I thought I would never wear it (but somehow still kept it) as it's so bright. I've worn it three days in a row and I'm totally hooked on it. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Soozie... i loooooove fuschia lips. I wore my lime crime centrifuschia today. Brightest lips i've ever worn to work lol
kirstyj
1732 posts
I pass it on to friends that I know will like it, or I RAOK (random act of kindness) gift it to other ladies that might enjoy them. Or I might sell it. Just depends :) Some stuff I do end up chucking though if I just don't think it is sanitary etc.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Trudi, mine is Maybelline colorsensational vivid in hot plum. It such a great formula too, long lasting and non drying. Love it! I would never have been brave enough to wear it if it wasn't for coming on BR. And yay for shopping my own stash too!
MareeB
5239 posts
Leave it at the back of my drawer for years until it's no good for anything usually. It's not deliberate, I always think I'll use it eventually...
shazatron101
5112 posts
I either gift it to my mum or one of my mums friends who has a teenage daughter. I gave her a bunch of Rimmel eyeshadows and apparently she lost her sh*t and was like "these are waaaay better than the $2 ones you get me mum!" So that made me feel pretty great haha
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oooh soozie sounds great
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
It is Trudi. Will definitely be reviewing it soon!

ragingfrog
1289 posts
Depending on what it is, bin it if the thing is completely awful I won't put friends through that, unopened I will pass it on after asking if that friend would like it, force myself to use it with a big bribery option on it eg when I finish this I can get.....
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Hah, put it in the cupboard and leave it till it's unusable and then chuck it out normally lol. If it's a pricey product I'll pass it on to someone I know though.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Hrm, I'm losing it, I didnt click on the post button twice!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Aww Soozie, that's awesome! I have a Color Sensational in Pink Pop that I no longer wear, but same as you, I love the formula. I've become a lot more self conscious of my thin lips recently and hate wearing bright colours that draw attention to them lol I probably should pass it on...

With products I know I'm not going to use, depending on the value and the state of them I'll sell them/gift them to friends and family or bin them. I hate having things in my collection that I don't want to use.
chloednz
217 posts
I gift them to either my sister or my mum. If its absolutely horrible I will just bin it, but generally I pass things on because they are completely the wrong shade for me, or for a different skin type. When you buy a lot of cosmetics online it can be a bit of a gamble, the last time my sister visited I gave her a huge ziplock bag full of mostly new, wrong for me makeup. Pity I seem to be the big spender cosmetics wise, so not much comes my way!
Kelli
73 posts
I recently went through my old make up I noticed I get in little cleaners rampage and threw a few items that i suspect aren't that great anymore but I recently converted the cookie jar into make up my daughter can play with that u dint use anymore (under supervision) it's a great way to keep her away from my goodies cause she's definately like my mini me everything I do she's right there trying to do it too! Had a lot of casualties in my make up bag because if this :(

Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Haha, Chloe, I'm the exact same! I'm continously gifting mounds of unwanted makeup, however no one I know has makeup issues like me so I'm never on the receiving end. The perils!
Marcel
335 posts
Anything I'm not going to use I give it to my mum. I can't stand acquiring hoards of stuff that I'm never going to use which I find is quite easy to do. Gotta be ruthless to avoid that happening, If I try a product and don't like it or I have product that I haven't used in months, it's got to go.
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
For me if I have makeup I wont use or didn't like I pass on.  I pass the real good stuff on to my mama or my friends and if that fails I give it to my nieces whom are preteens so looove makeup right now.  I don't sell it unless it's brand new and worth something.
ChristieMJ
358 posts
I'm terrible, mine gets pushed to the very back of the stash never to be seen again until its too late and the product has long expired. I always tell myself I'll use it one day! I've got to stop buying products I know I dont use (lipsticks) and give away ones that are still good to free up my space and give someone else a go :)
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Mostly I pass it on to friends who I think will enjoy it. If it's brand new I will either gift it to someone or self it, although I prefer to give my stuff away as it makes me happy knowing I made someone smile.
Macs
5351 posts
My older sister gets all my new/used goodies. Otherwise if their brand new I like to gift them to friends.
Products I know I will not use end up with people I know will love them  :-)
MareeB
5239 posts
I wish I was so efficient, but no! maybe the long over due clean-out will be a good job for the winter while I'm trapped inside the house:)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
New unused stuff or stuff that I know will sell well (MAC pigments etc) I sell. Otherwise my mother and sisters do very well out of me!
Mila
1209 posts
I'm the same as alot of you ladies, I will regift them onto friends I think will love them :)
100_percent_ash
488 posts
Pass them on to my mum or sisters...sometimes. More likely they end up collecting dust until I do a purge and biff them years later. I have a few I need to pass on at the mo actually. It never occured to me to sell them until recently but it's such a p.i.t.a to get to the post office with my kids and the car mish/nap schedules it hardly seeems worth it. I recently sold a bunch of stuff on trademe and I'm so scarred from days of emailing back and forward and driving across town to the couriers.
SandieNZ
424 posts
I usually do RAOKs, I love to see that go to people that will treasure them :)  Otherwise I'll pass stuff on to my girlfriends if I think it's sommething they'll use :)
Lutece
1849 posts
This is very interesting as I do the same as you. I normally give most of my beauty products to my sister, you should see her makeup collection, it is massive and half of it is things that havent suited me or I dislike lol
janini9
341 posts
I have teenage girls, so I have enough trouble holding on to makeup I want for myself before it's "borrowed". Apparently, according the girls, since I've been on BR, I buy cool makeup and any non wanted items by me are gladly swooped on.
Koni
444 posts
I'm working through my collection and I'm just giving it away. I know I had every intention of using them when I bought them but it's just ridiculous now so better to give to someone who would find some use for them as opposed to gathering dust haha.
astylecollector
204 posts
Mine usually goes to my sister and mum and if they don't want it, my mum saves them as we always send a big box back to our relatives in the Philippines before Christmas and we fill it with random things. 
Kellyleanne
551 posts
Normally my sister, she always welcomes all the beauty products I give her. 
MissQT
1547 posts
if its a product that's unopened/unused I'd gift it to a friend. If its been used and is still in a good condition to be used (for example I have sensitive skin so this often happens to products I react to) get given to my sister or mother.
chikoboo
3402 posts
I either pass on or sell it if it is brand new or only used slighty, but sometimes I can repurpose things by mixing for instance if its a lipstick that is too pink I will blend it with a coloured gloss ontop or line with a darker liner and blend it to a better colour.  If a foundation is too dark I will add some yellow concealer to it as I apply it to tone the colour done and so on.  There is a few little tricks you can do to tweak makeup, especially if it is a more high end product that you have lusted over and forked a bit more than normal on.  I won't be beaten easily lol
kirstysays
762 posts
I'm the same as most of you ladies...I pass it on to family or friends who might like it or get use out of it.
kknz
82 posts
My usually goes to the above mentioned 13 year old, quite handy to have one of those sometimes. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
although said 13 year old is starting to get 'spensive tastes, kk! Of all the things for her to identify from my makeup kit that she wanted she chose the Urban Decay and Sephora stuff lol (although as they were both teal it was probs just that)
Danni
324 posts
I often throw mine out just because I don't have that much makeup that I don't use it all up so if I throw out makeup its just because it's expired
tannygirl
3392 posts
I never sell. I gift. Whenever I make a makeup purchase I research swatches of the color and reviews of the product and make sure I don't purchase dupes of something I already have, so make sure it's something I'll use. But if I get something extra as GWP or are given a color that I'm not really ready to use then I'll regift it to someone who might like it. Actually thinking of gifting when it comes to purchasing stuff for other, I'll also only gift products that I think are good and that are good quality that I would use. The downside is I can't afford to gift very often but the recipent does get some really nice stuff.
Lisa-
79 posts
Glad i'm not the only one that just leaves it in a drawer until its too old to be any good haha I had a good clear out a few weeks ago of a bunch of barely used makeup that I had lying around
Astariuss
29 posts
I will often give it a few more tries in different circumstances but if its still a no-go I do try to remember to pass it on to my closest friend. Otherwise it hangs out in a deep dark corner of some drawer/cupboard until I do a clean out and finally throw it in the trash (because if it has got to that stage its probally been in there a while that they won't benefit anyone.)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!