Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

What do people compliment you on the most?

61 posts, 49 members
1139 posts
Hi beautiful ladies! I know we've had a few threads in the past discussing what we like about ourselves but I don't remember having one quite like this so here goes. What do people compliment you on the most? I think it's interesting because a lot of the time what other people really like about us is something we don't even like about ourselves that much. For me it's probably my "mermaid hair" (I did not come up with this term but think it's great and hilarious!) which I used to hate; I've come to love it after hearing so many nice things about it. 

Also - this question does not have to be about appearance, just anything that you get complimented on!
PaigeC
194 posts
Mine would be the natural wave that I have in my hair. I ALWAYS used to straighten my hair, hated my hair natural but I have had so many compliments that I hardly ever straighten all of my hair now....saves so much time!
g1ggles2
358 posts
Great thread Elena!!

I normally get compliments about my eyes, skin or smile if it is appreance related.
Otherwise I mostly get compliments about my out there personality haha.
Most people think im really brave & confident or strong but mostly its an act although im working on that being s reality too :)
chikoboo
3402 posts
Great thread elena, and yes I can see why you have gorgeous mermaid hair =)

With me its either my pale skin, get called a doll alot!! Or my big eyes, which a few call me bambi for lol  =)
I get comments about my hair all the time but to be expected given my job! It would be sad if they didn't say my hair was awesome cause that would mean I'm a crap hairdresser!  I do get lots of comments on my face,  i get quite embarrassed about it!  Nice to hear all the same :) 
jenni_bird
37 posts
My hair gets called mermaid hair too and gets a lot of comments.. miss my hair looking more natural though!
angehill
93 posts
Fabulous thread!

I get complimented on my eyes a fair bit and often asked if I'm wearing coloured contacts. My eyes are hazel, but often look yellow like a cats eye. I also get compliments on my smile, and how good I smell (gotta love flowerbomb)!
MissQT
1547 posts
I usually get comments about my nails as I always paint them and do nail art (I've been quite lazy lately though and haven't painted them recently). My friends always love the new designs I do, even though its always so etching simple nothing complicated, and compliment me every time they see new designs on my nails. They always say how they'd never have the patients to do nail art. It's nice to be complimented on every now and then, even if its something small.
Beautyngeek
3 posts
Defo my eyes, bright blue and tend to pop when I have dark hair. Back to blonde at the mo and missing the brown!
1139 posts
PaigeC I'm with you on the wavy hair thing. I used to straighten mine everyday but I've come to realise that my natural wave is actually pretty, hence the mermaid hair comment ;)

I confess that it is straightened in my profile picture though! It's slightly wavy because I had to run from my MAC consultation to my car in the pouring rain without messing up my makeup... I had to take some selfies for BR ;)
colleencanary
764 posts
My crazy long and thick eyelashes! And I cant say I dont love them too. They're the perfect distraction for all my skin flaws ;)
colleencanary
764 posts
Ooh and definitely a great thread Elena! I love your mermaid waves too! ;)
Lexxie
98 posts
 I like reading the compliments that everyone gets makes me happy  :) I saw this beautiful old lady the other day (80s or so), she had a full face of makeup, hair perfect and a lovely outft... She looked AMAZING so so beautiful so confident. I think its about making the best of yourself, No matter your age, aging gracefully is beautiful too :) Yes, I did compliment her :) 
lana-la
67 posts
Awesome thread elena. Mine would have to be my long eyelashes. People always assume im wearing eyelash extensions. ...in fact I have had people get angry that I won't admit they are fake haha. Even the girls at the benefit brow bar thought they were falsies
Bayley
238 posts
You have some extra beautiful locks on you Elena! as i've already told you haha :)
Mine would have to be my eyebrows! Since learning how to do them properly I get complimented on them all the time..wish i could say they were natural though haha 
PaigeC
194 posts
Ooo yea, I get complimented on my eyelashes too because they are quite long...although sometimes its nice to put on a pair of falsies too, gives a bit of vavoom

I am always noticing peoples eyebrows. I envy people with amazing eyebrows! Mine are okay but even if I've had them waxed and I've filled them in etc etc, they still just don't have that WOW factor....oh well :/
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I really like your mermaid waves too Elena must be nice to have such fuss free hair that you can just brush and it looks perfectly styled.  When I was younger it was mainly my hair since my hair is like waist to hip length and fairly healthy.

In more recent years it's been my legs and then over the past couple of years my butt. I do get compliments on my skin but there's from store assistants when I'm asking about an anti-aging stuff it's more like your skin looks good so you probably don't need it, and while the compliment is nice I don't know if it's a marketing scheme. I really do dress bummish when I'm out doing my weekly shopping and like slightly worst than sweatpants with a slick of oil in my hair and greasy sunscreen so no one has been complimenting me recently except store assistants on my skin so that's why I'm led to believe it's marketing scheme.

Kenns
85 posts
I always get complimented on my super straight hair, people don't believe me when I say that I haven't straightened it! The flip side of that is that I lust after wavy hair (us girls always wanting what we don't have hehe). I can spend ages putting waves or curl in my hair but it always drops out within 1 or 2 hours, so consider me very green at your mermaid hair!!
1139 posts
haha Kenns the pain is real! I have friends with the most amazing perfectly straight hair and mine won't stay straight for a whole day even if I spend an hour straightening it with my ghds! tannygirl is right though, my hair may be super wavy but it is fuss free - I just let it dry naturally and brush it. It's weird but it seems to look better after I've slept on it. 
brushandbullet
395 posts
LOL I don't really get compliments. Unless you count my friends accidentally brushing up against me and saying, "ooh, your skin's so soft"?

Once when I was quite a bit younger and hotter (hahaha) I was visiting my boyfriend in Wellington. I was walking down Cuba St and a woman around my age came up and said, "I just wanted to let you know that you look really great today" and walked off. That's always stuck with me, the way a random compliment can give you a boost. It's been nice reading the comments in this thread.
courtspace
84 posts
I was just thinking this morning about how jealous of your hair I was Elena! And how it would suit ombré! Mine is straight and I think I would look ridiculous with it. 

Funnily enough though it's my hair that people comment on. And it's usually when I haven't done it or it's looking flatter than usual and have convinced myself that no one even looks anyway.

But it makes you feel great. You are all beautiful girls! Inside and out :)
SandyGedge
394 posts
Great thread hun :-) firstly I'd like to say that I think everyone on this site has a beautiful heart. So kind, caring and helpful xx

My biggest compliments are either about my very long eyelashes or my generosity/big heart.
Kellie
570 posts
Elena I always think of your hair as princess hair!!  You could be in a Disney movie!

Hmmmm, I don't get complimented on a whole lot these days.  The joys of spending all day with a two year old, although she does say 'good girl' to me an awful lot.  So I must be very good!?

I do get told I'm funny though.  I don't think I am, but I'll take it!!  Gotta take the love where you can find it right?  

Carry on good girls!
forkat2008
98 posts
I like to compliment random people in public. In a lot of my workplaces, as a cashier at a service station, as a waitress, it's not as creepy complimenting strangers and I was free with my compliments. I have gotten complimented mainly on my butt, though not by strangers!
MrsLissy
301 posts
I love this thread Elena what a great idea :) The feature I get most complimented on is probably my eyes. They have a nice shape and go between green and blue. The different beauty therapist that I had do my brows on Sat complimented me on them which was lovely.
hughes_dre
229 posts
This is such a nice thread :)

I get most compliments on my eyes.  They range from an ice-blue to a deep ocean blue - depending on the light.  But that is by far what I get most compliments on.

And then it would be my hair - my partner LOVES my hair.  He plays with it all the time, it's quite adorable.

Aside from the aesthetics, I'm probably commented on my unwavering loyalty and outspoken personality.  I'll stick up for those I care about regardless of the consequences.

I can come across quite rude sometimes but that's only because I don't filter what I say before it comes out of my big mouth!  I mean things with the best of intentions but I have serious foot-in-mouth syndrome sometimes...
Rhiannon135
74 posts
Love this post it seems to be so much fun.

Physically I've usually been complimented on my complexion (which I find odd as I usually have pimples) or teeth (yes weird).

Otherwise I tend to get most compliments on my personally for being caring or calm and organise.
lenarose
313 posts
I get complimented on my hair a lot, which I'm so happy about as I spend so much effort on it, and have been growing it for 5 years! I also get compliments on my eyes and teeth. And my laugh - apparently it's infectious!
leshritson
47 posts
For me I find that people complement me on my long thick natural lashes I always get asked if theyre fake! And lately people have been saying how nice my brows look, I still can't believe I never use to fill them in!! I've always has complements on how nice my blonde hair colour is especially when I've had it freshly dyed.. It's funny because if I wore no makeup and had my hair tied in a bun everyday nobody would say these things - they'd be like oh are you sick! haahhaa
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Great thread!! Elena I love your hair and your freckles. I think they're beautiful and youthful. I wish I had freckles.

I have to admit I always feel really, really awkward and self conscious about receiving compliments - it has taken me the better part of 4 years to be able to say "thank you" instead of immediately shooting them down. My self esteem has never been the best but was seriously erroded due to a long term abusive relationship. So if any of you ladies on instagram ever compliment me and I seem to be dismissive - I promise i'm not, I just feel awkward about it :)

ANYWAY! Haha.

The thing most girls compliment me on is my eyelashes, which is one feature I do like about myself.

Guys tend to "compliment" (I say that loosely), me on my boobs - which I actually really, really dislike (unless it is my bf), as they are something that have caused me issues ever since I grew them. Haha.

Personality wise I tend to get complimented on being creative - which is one of the very, very few compliments I actually like to hear, because art is everything to me.

kayxcake
422 posts
In real life, people hardly compliments me, except... this one time, I went to get my car fixed with my parents and the guy at the store says to me "I didn't know you can drive?! Aren't you still in highschool?". Everywhere I go people asked things like "how's school?" or "when is your sweet 16 coming?" things like that. I'm 23 this year so I guess it's compliment right?! That they thing i look like a kid lol.  On the internet (usually in beauty forums), people compliments my lip shapes, cause I do alot of lips swatches. 
Mila
1209 posts
What a nice feel good thread ... Elena your hair is amazing its so natural and disney ! :)... Its so nice to receive a compliment from other women and to give them ! :).

If I get compliments its probably my skin which is ironic as it was so bad when I was younger. or the fact I dont look my age !! yuss :)
1139 posts
haha I didn't create this thread to get more compliments on my hair, but thank you all anyway ;)

I'm really loving reading everyone's comments. I'm all for anything that makes us think more positively about ourselves because I know it's something that I (and many others) struggle with! 

Jessicka, it's really sad that that's happened to you, and I'm glad you managed to get yourself out of it. I guess it's both a good and a bad thing about BR that everyone is so nice to each other because we have to learn to accept compliments... well, that's not really a bad thing. But it definitely can be hard to just say thank you. When I was a bit younger my 'best friend' used to constantly comment on my weight (even though when I knew her I was a size 6) and how much prettier she was than me and I didn't realise it at the time but it messed with my head a bit. It's amazing how the things some people say to you might seem insignificant to them but actually have a huge impact on you.

Also Kellie - you are actually hilarious. And obviously you're doing something right by being called a 'good girl', haha!!
chikoboo
3402 posts
That is a great compliment Mila and Kayxcake,  I actually get that alot, I know I should take it as a compliment but I'm 33 for gawd sake!!! they always ask me for ID, its become a pain and a bit of a joke with my family now that I need to be accompanied to buy booze!! The hubby quite likes the idea of a younger wife though lol. 
1139 posts
Chikoboo you do look a lot younger than 33! Must be that flawless porcelain skin! 
lana-la
67 posts
hear ya on that one Chikoboo i got asked for ID buying a scratchy last night lol and im 28 and
Cat
474 posts
This is a great thread to read Elena :) I tend to always get caught up in what I dislike about myself and I'm a very awkward soul when it comes to compliments, I am always appreciative of a compliment and have learnt to thank a person but I still have my doubts when it comes to accepting or agreeing to them. To be honest in my world compliments don't really come round often, I don't live in a very appearance orientated community if that makes sense (country people don't really care much!) and that's why I love BR so much because I can talk about makeup etc since most people in my life would look at me sideways.

Believe it or not I've had a lot of compliments on my boobs... From woman lol. They're not impressive at all so I don't understand this. This maybe just represents the sort of company I keep, I like straight up people with dirty humour. Also as I help my partner on a dairy farm when we applied for our job at the interview the owner said to me I am too much of a 'sweetheart' to be milking cows. I really don't look the part so I'll accept that one even though it was pretty creepy. And I get compliments on my lashes a lot online. 
kstah21
127 posts
loving this thread!! i think everyone is beautiful!!! no matter what they think of themselves!! i get complimented alot on my laugh, smile, legs and bum. im very critical of myself, so when people compliment me i have no idea what to say? usually im like um thanks but i dont believe you lol.  i mean i LOVE my legs, but when i get those really nice comments about other things i go all shy! and those that no me well, know that im not a shy person, im usually really loud and out there. 
xx
Hollie
320 posts
Well everyone on here is clearly a babe, judging by their profiles and comments anyway. And hey, we take good care of ourselves, and research our products, which counts for a lot!

I've gotten a bit more gracious at accepting compliments over the years, just because I don't like it when I give someone a genuine compliment and they shrug it off - I understand, but it's not so cool for the compliment-giver.

I don't think I'd ever in a million years get complimented for my legs which have spider veins, cellulite etc lol. But they're easy to disguise :)

And I wish I had Elena's hair - I've always wanted long lovely hair like that.
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Great question Elena!! For me, people always ALWAYS comment on my height. Which is somethine I need to learn to be okay with lol. I don't really consider it a compliment, as I already KNOW I'm tall, I've always thought "I know I'm tall, I don't need reminding" lol. Also it would be my eyes. When I was young I used to get teased alot for my "chingy eyes" frome other kids and my (at the time) mean boy cousins lol. It took me years to be okay with my eyes because of the teasing. I do get complimented alot also on my looks in relation to my age. People think I'm in my early 20's when really I'm 30 lol 
kirstysays
762 posts
Elena your hair is seriously disney like...Love it.  Great thread by the way.  All your wonderfull ladies are beautiful inside and out!  The compliment I get most is that I'm a classic "english rose" and have nice cheekbones and skin :P  
melly650
375 posts
You girls make me laugh so much! You're all complaining about looking younger than you are! You should be thankful! I usually get told I am so much older than I actually am, which kind of makes me feel good (not having to show my ID too much) but also makes me a bit suspicious. I don't look that old to myself?

Anyways, I get complimented on my skin a lot (and by skin I don't mean my face) - because I have a naturally tanned skin, but it also looks very healthy. I never moisturize my skin because there's no need. And people always love my eyes (I have blue/grey eyes, depending on my mood! ;P).

chelseaadelaide
703 posts
This is such a beautiful thread! Ever since primary school I have always been complimented on my handwriting, which is a little random! Customers at work often compliment my hair which is lovely. I always take the time to compliment people if I see something that I like, or even if I can see that it is something that they are proud of. Their reactions are always better than being complimented yourself! xx
1139 posts
hahaha oh man you guys are hilarious! I feel a bit weird posting this but if you do want to see the mermaid hair it's pretty mermaidy in this photo. 
skingeek
537 posts
I get a lot of remarks on my eyes and eyebrows. Like, from, totally random people on the street hahaha that's always nice to hear. I had this really cute little girl come up and tell me I had "beautiful princess eyes". I wanted to take her home! <3
Seza95
175 posts
I think the thing I get most complemented on is my helpfulness and giving heart. Also that I am empathetic and apparently I give good advice. Haha when it comes to appearance I tink it falls between my calfs, how good I seem to be at grooming my eyebrows or how great my makeup/hair looks today. xo
sunelizabeth
410 posts
I've really enjoyed flicking through all the replies on this post, nice to hear positivity!

I get complimented on my green eyes, the colour of my hair (strawberry blonde-ish), and my sensitivity (damn Libran!!).
Rebe
3 posts
I love all the positivity on here! So much better than hearing everything people dislike.
People always seemto compliment me on my hair or my eyes :)
Or what a great leader I am, it's such a boost when people do!
Rebe
3 posts
I love all the positivity on here! So much better than hearing everything people dislike.
People always seemto compliment me on my hair or my eyes :)
Or what a great leader I am, it's such a boost when people do!
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I got so many compliments on Friday night when I went to farewell drinks for someone that just left work. It is quite amazing how I got told I looked stunning and that I scrubbed up good. (I work at a cheese factory and don't wear makeup to work). I have also been complimented on how gorgeous my eyes are in summer.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!