Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Wedding planning - help appreciated!!!

28 posts, 16 members
katenisbet
51 posts
While everyone was in the beauty vault getting their goodies I was catching the ferry to waiheke (a surprise mothers day gift from my partner) trying madly to access it on my iphone, but nope no luck. By the time I had wifi again and figured out how to get in, everything I wanted was gone. But my point was, it was worth it! because when I finally stopped trying to access the vault, I went for a walk on the beach with my partner, and he proposed ! :) So now I'm in full on wedding planning mode and although I know we are going to have it Hawkes Bay, I'm still stumped for sussing quite a few things. The look I'm going for is vintage. I love lace and that real romantic feeling. I'ts proving especially hard to find bridesmaids dresses. So if anyone has any thoughts or know of any places/services in Hawkes Bay I would really appreciate the help! :)
1139 posts
I haven't got any suggestions but I wanted to say congratulations on your engagement! :)

Hawke's Bay is probably my favourite place in NZ. I'm a Christchurch girl but I have family in Napier so I go and visit every year and I love it there so much! It's just beautiful and I have a real weakness for Art Deco haha. It's also super therapeutic for me to see a city that's been rebuilt after earthquakes because my city is still a mess right now... Anyway I actually went to a wedding at a vineyard in Hawke's Bay quite a few years ago and it was just beautiful! 
Manda129
419 posts
Big Congrats on your engagement!! Much better than the beauty vault :) 

I don't know of any places, the op shops especially in auckland would be a good place to look
but also if you have a look on pinterest they have so many ideas for rustic/vinateg weddings, things you can make yourself or sites aswell :)

jessickaxnz
1176 posts
katenisbet Congrats!!! Have you been to Mission Estate Winery? It is absolutely STUNNING there - you can take a look here: From what you've said about having a vintage/romantic look, I think this place would be amazing for you. You have to show us pictures of your makeup on the big day, too! :)

Elena I went to Christchurch for the very first time last year and the state of the city had a huge affect on me. As ignorant as it sounds, I had no idea of the damage and destruction that you guys are still dealing with - it actually made me really upset and angry. I spent an entire day just walking around the CBD talking to people and taking pictures - my fellow North Islanders couldn't believe the state that Christchurch is still in. What genuinely struck me though was how positive people were - it blew me away. Even watching that piece John Campbell did on the city a few nights ago really reinforced how awesome the people down there are. The people I showed my pictures to were blown away by what you guys are STILL dealing with.

Sorry katenisbet  - I don't mean to hijack your thread!
1139 posts
Jessicka - it's amazing isn't it? The city hasn't really changed at all from when the quakes hit. Since it's dropped out of the news you'd assume things had gone back to normal but no way! I'm glad you were able to experience it (as weird as that sounds) because it really helps to put things in perspective. I have been through more in the past few years than many people would experience in 20 years! Even though I was at high school at the time, my school was condemned so even getting around that was a mission in itself. ;)

I think that's why I love Napier so much - the city is even more beautiful now than it was before it was destroyed. Plus it helps that the Hawke's Bay region is just beautiful in general. ;)

Sorry for the post hijacking! I don't talk about this a lot but when I do I have to try really hard not to get emotional haha!!
1139 posts
Since I am diverting myself away from what this thread is actually about, I will add this: make sure you book your hair and makeup waaay in advance. This may seem really obvious but I have heard of so many people leaving it late and then complaining that nobody is available on their wedding day...
Chaotic82
522 posts
I just have to add - Jessicka it's quite refreshing to hear that. Sometimes it feels like the rest of the country feels like we should just get over it.  I live on the east side, which was hit pretty badly, it's hard to get over it when you walk past it every day.

Wedding planning is so fun!!   I don't know any places in Hawkes Bay - but have you looked at places like dinodirect or similar for bridesmaid dresses?  I got mine on there for my sisters wedding and just had it adjusted.  It worked out quite reasonable.  
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Elena and Chaotic82 Yeah it's insane that it is no longer considered 'newsworthy'. It makes my skin crawl to be honest. I have to say I really admire John Campbell for continuing to do stories on it and to make NZ remember and think about what you guys are (and have been), going through. I really couldn't believe my eyes - as lame as it sounds, I got really emotional when down there and cried while walking around the CBD. Us northeners who haven't seen it have absolutely NO comprehension. I couldn't believe the number of abandoned houses - it's devastating. Anyone that thinks you guys should "get over it" needs a flipping reality check and needs to go down there and walk around the ruins. They need to talk to the people and imagine what it must be like to see your city like that. They need to go to the memorial across from the CTV building and look at that baby casket and wheelchair and then "get over it". Sorry - this makes me angry beyond belief.

Elena -
I like what you said about Napier being beautiful after what happened to it - I agree completely. Napier is one of my fave. places in the country and I think it's a perfect place to get married.

kirstysays
762 posts
Congratulations!!! That's definitely worth missing the vault for :)
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Awww how romantic, congratulations hun.  Unfortunately I can't help as I'm in Whangarei lol, but I'm sure the lovelies on here will be able to help you.  I just wanted to congratulate you xx
pintsize
1072 posts
Congratulations katenisbit!  Have you set a date?  how much time do you have to work with?

The venue is the first thing you will need to sort as mostly they can book fast, wedding license and celebrant or minister.  My best tip is not to skimp on the photographer as they will be the images you want to look back on and show people the most (I learnt from personal experience).
Dresses are becoming more affordable and it definitly pays to shop around.  My advice there is to go have a dress fitting to see what styles suit you and your body type and skin tone.
Flowers, check with your florist about season of your planned wedding date and also if it is a high demand time as some florists bump there prices up accordingly.
Hair and make up, once you have found someone you would like to have do this for you and your bridesmaids, have a trial run well in advance (as Elena suggested) and have someone take photos so you can look back and make adjustments if needed.
Don't do any drastic changes like changing hair colour 

Buy lots of wedding magazines and check out these websites for some ideas
decor and props
wedding planning
and don't forget TradeMe they have some bargains there so shop around... little things make up the big day. 

But Most importantly! Weddings can be stressful so just remember at all times why you are doing it, and focus on what is important <3

xx

katenisbet
51 posts
Aww thanks ladies! :) Taking all those bits of info in :) He wanted to do Jan 2016 but it's too fa away for me!!! So we've almost decided on April 2015 (school holidays so best time for both our parents as they're teachers -and his mum lives in Sydney). I just feel that a year and a half is too long and i'll lose the exciement - like i'll still be excited etc but, you know. Like how can you plan for something that far away, a lot changes in 18 months ! :) Or am I being unreasonable? Lol :) Thanks for the great advice about not getting stressed and always keeping the bigger picture in mind (why we're doing it) - will keep that firmly in mind :) xx
katenisbet
51 posts
Ok, seriously. All the bridesmaid dresses I have found so far in Auckland are just not what I'm after! The klook I'm going for is vintage - romantic vintage. My dress will be white lace and I want bridemaids dresses that will work in with that, not look they're off to the ball with cinderella :) The colours I've decided on for the wedding colour theme are; pale pink, dove grey and white.
Any suggestion for shops in either Auckland or Hawke's Bay?? Thank you lovelies x Kate
katypatatie
142 posts
Hang on a sec. I will link you to the ones I plan on getting if I can find it. They are online but I'm sure you can find someone to make them if you don't want to purchase online.
katypatatie
142 posts
Here there are plenty more on there if you don't like these ones.
pintsize
1072 posts
You could have a look at some patterns at local sewing stores and adapt them, seeing as you have a few months to work with... really customise your girls looks that way (if you can find or know of a good dress maker) otherwise, and I may have already suggested it, TradeMe... I found a gorgeous bohemiam style dress for a photoshoot on there a while back and also saw a lot of vintage too... just have to search through.
It might feel daunting buying online for others but if you have your girls sizes or measurements (note they may change slightly before your big day) and order well in advance you should be fine.

xx
MareeB
5239 posts
Who do you work for Kaley?
Macs
5351 posts
Funny I'll be planning my own wedding soon  for next year or year after. After being with my partner for 12 years. I'm hoping to elope in either Hawaii or Fiji. The planning is taking me ages. I just want a quiet small easy wedding . I never thought to get a planner , I will keep that in mind. 
MareeB
5239 posts
Oh Macs, that's exciting! the person above is a spammer, the vegas wedding is up there with the rolex watches!!!
Macs
5351 posts
You think I would of caught on lol Oh it's been one of those days Maree. Started with me rushing in to work late and leaving work late lol
MareeB
5239 posts
Oh dear! well, I hope you're having a lovely relaxing evening to make up for it Macs x
shazatron101
5112 posts
I thought that too Maree - but I wasn't sure lol.

As for the wedding planning, good luck Macs! It'll be the good ol courthouse for me and the man, followed by a holiday, and then maybe when we get back we will inform people we got married and have a BYO plate party deal. Maybe not. Undecided ;-)
Macs
5351 posts
That's exactly what I wanted to do just court house but I didn't expect my partner to be a bridezilla and want a wedding overseas lol 
Sophia
203 posts
For bridesmaids dresses, depending on your budget and scope, have a look at Pagani website. They have a range of very pretty dresses suitable for fancy parties and some are good enough for a ball or wedding I reckon. Lots of lace in there at the moment and price ranges from $100ish to $300ish. High street store it might be, but there's stuff in their catalogue that quite specifically 'party dress worthy' and might not be held at a regional store.  

MareeB
5239 posts
Ooooh I found a very cute little wedding dress shop in Sydney - gorgeous dresses to buy off the rack. It almost made me wish I was getting married! I love weddings !!
Beauty88
29 posts
where is that store located at?
alexgrin
11 posts
Thanks for the info! So timely, I'm working on my sister's wedding party now. I've booked popular reception venues here in Auckland, hope everything will be at the highest level. It will be small, intimate wedding celebration with close-knit friends and family.
Julieal
915 posts
I have been to 2 weddings -one in Fiji and one in Rarotonga and both were so lovely -relaxed ,happy and everyone had a holiday too which was so nice

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!