Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Tricky conversation

24 posts, 13 members
mallomiss
569 posts
I need some help tackling this one... 

I went to get my routine Brazillian last night - the Salon I go to are a little understaffed at present & I had to see a different chick from who I usually see... 

It was not a nice experience (it never is) at all.... 

I feel as though this one was a little inexperienced & nervous with this proceedure maybe.. 

She was slow at pulling off the wax, didn't hold my skin taught & it all hurt... a lot!!! 
There was a fair amount of swearing coming from me. 
I have a fairly high pain threshold & this proceedure doesn't generally bother me.

The chick I usually see for this is the Manager, I feel like it needs to be mentioned but I'm not sure if I should call or just wait until my next appointment... 

I've been left quite sore & I'm feeling a little bit like I could have some sort of mild grazing. This is very unusual... 

What does everyone think I should do?

What should I say?
trudijoy
8375 posts
Go in and say that ^^.

They need to know and you're being rational, fair, and calm.

At the very least, I'd be expecting a free wax next time, but i'd take the slant of 'she seemed inexperienced and i don't want to discourage people, but i have a high pain threshold and this was agony for me so I felt she needed to know it was okay to be a bit faster and firmer'
mallomiss
569 posts
Thanks Trudi - I feel a bit awkward about calling as it's likely the inexperienced girl will answer & she'll probably know my voice... 
I'll see if the manager is visible when I walk past tonight. 
Qweenkaren
313 posts
I would send your usual person an emailing detailing these things that she does 'correctly' and you now appreciate the way she waxes you & why - ie less pain. Then suggest that perhaps the person you saw yesterday could do with some more training around these aspects.

As a manager, she will need to know where her staff need to improve, and having your opinion as a regular client in writing is invaluable. I would do this sooner, rather than later - think of all the other poor women who could do with less pain in their lives!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Just google the business to see if you can find out the managers name then you can ask for her rather than just 'the manager'
mallomiss
569 posts
The one I usually see is the manager.

I worry about the email as it's a generic email that either the 'girl' or the owner may see, I'd like to give the manager the opportunity to know this first. I feel she'd prefer it that way. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah if it's generic i would definitely call then offer to write it down
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
Definitely have a chat with the manager, she needs to make sure her staff are up to scratch in all their treatments - that's why most places have discounted services while therapists are in training, who wants to pay full price for a subpar job? 

There's a good chance you could have some skin lift if she wasn't holding the area tightly enough, so just treat the area gently for the next wee while - keep showers lukewarm, make sure your clothes aren't too tight and going to rub and irritate.

Sorry you've had a sucky experience xx
Koni
444 posts
This happened to me and I spoke to the manager. I made it clear that it wasn't a complaint but that I would rather let her know to give them the opportunity to address it in a manner they saw fit. Turns out I wasn't the only one and it was sorted with an extra bit of training :-)
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Ouch! Sounds horrible :( if you were to ring you could always ask to speak to the manager and just let them know your experience wasn't the best and you don't want it happening to others also. Good luck either way :)
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
If it was obvious you were in pain, possibly the girl realises she needs to improve her technique. If you aren't comfortable calling or emailing, you could wait till you next see the manager and quietly talk to her. I think it's lovely that you're being considerate of the inexperienced girl.
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
Like Koni said, if you express that it's not a complaint then you should feel more comfortable. It's certainly worth mentioning as it sounds like it could be an easy fix. Just think how many ladies you will be helping out! Saving them from painful experiences. 
mallomiss
569 posts
I've called a couple of times now & the manager has been with a client both times - they're quite busy.. 
I'm going to wait until I see her on Tuesday - I completely forgot I have a facial booked.
So that's a better way I think & it's not too longer time frame between.

Thanks everyone! I'm so awkward with this stuff! 
Ringy
825 posts
I hope you have gone back and given your feedback to the manager, but if not my advice is to think of maybe one positive aspect - like she was very polite (if she was), very thorough (if every last hair is gone) or something like that so that it doesn't seem like a full on complaint but rather feedback. But if it was a total terrible experience then it's a complaint and you need to let them know- it's a very sensitive area and I'm pretty sure you weren't there for torture. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Mallomiss if I was you I would have said something at time and not suffered in silence! I understand it can be quite awkward though. Hope the salon can provide their staff with some more training and you have a better experience next time.
mallomiss
569 posts
To update:

I went last night for a facial (they gift one for your birthday) with the Manager & had a word to her about it.
I was factual & polite about it & followed with positives, she was very polite & professional. 
The Manager was great, she said she was actually concerned about the girl taking my booking as she (manager) knows my hair type & knows it has to be done a certain way (cracked me up). She said she would sus a discount for my next appointment. I actually told her not to worry about it as I was just more concerned about the training & development side of things. 

The Manager called me this morning to tell me my next one is free & they're going to give me another facial free too!! 

I'm over the moon but more so that she has taken it seriously & the lovely girl will get the training she needs. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
That's great customer service mallomiss. Glad they have sorted it all out!
Rajvee2588
221 posts
I am happy for you mallomiss. All thing sorted and next time you getting free service. I would say great customer service.

if I was in your place. After waxing I taked to her straight away. You no need to feel awkward because you spent money for service. I used like shy lady but no more. Recently I had so many bad experience in salon. And I talk to straight away.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
That's really awesome that they are taking your concerns on board.
Julieal
915 posts
I would contact the Manager as it is obvious the girl need training and unless the manager is told other will suffer too.
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
That's really awesome - sounds like they are an amazing salon you've found!
Ringy
825 posts
Glad it went well. At the end of the day that girl will be better off for the feedback and chance to correct herself and learn. 
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Glad it all went well :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Nothing worse than an under trained waxer! I'm glad it was all sorted though :-D It sounds pretty awful so I hope you've healed okay.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!