Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Tricks to know when buying MAC?

11 posts, 6 members
Sophia
203 posts
Like Alikat, I'm getting a christmas bonus and I decided I want to get me some paint pots to replace some color tattoos that are getting dry.  
I'm in West Auckland so the easiest locations for me are St Lukes MAC store or perhaps Albany Farmers. 
Do you have a preference for where you purchase yours, and if so, why?
I like to get a bargain where I can - Do MAC have sales ever, should I wait for those?
I suppose with Farmers there are club points, but since they got mean on that programme I can't maintain a balance that gets any vouchers haha

SooziesWorld
2999 posts
My preference for buying Mac is to buy it overseas lol! Anywhere is cheaper than NZ. I've never seen them have a sale either. The only kind of loyalty programme they do is 'back to Mac' where you get a free lipstick or eyeshadow in return for six empty Mac containers. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
even the MAC staff told me to buy it in the States because it's so much cheaper there! I know they do smaller sizes of some things like the lipglasses and pigments, so maybe see if they have them for the paint pots too?
Sophia
203 posts
If I could afford to go to the States I'd not be waiting for a bonus to buy makeup hahaha!
What about buying online from US, or is that not the same? 
I'll see if they do have minis,  that's a good idea, especially as it takes me ages to get through my stuff. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
I’ve not been since I was 9 but have a week in Hawaii at Easter :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
To buy from Mac online in the States you would need to use a USA address. I also had an order rejected as I wasn't using an American credit card. I think others on here have had success ordering from them. I just don't buy Mac unless I'm overseas or can get someone to bring it back for me. I actually didn't buy any the last time I was in the States as I forgot how useless duty free in San Francisco is. Ten years ago I only used Mac but I think there are plenty of other brands as good, if not better, these days. 
Sophia
203 posts
Any cream eyeshadows you've used which are as good as paint pot or color tattoo?
siouxsannah
261 posts
I went overseas in August, and I bought the only 2 MAC lipsticks I own duty free. One was at a U.S.A airport when I was on a stopover, and the other was when I arrived back in NZ. Maybe hold off until you are leaving the country, and then you can stock up at Auckland airport.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
If you buy online from overseas, it is nearly as expensive as buying here when you add the shipping and is only worth it if you have a decent amount to ship. Consider getting a brand that has a bonus time or something at the time that gets you a bonus when you spend a certain amount.
My suggestion, it's $200 for the voucher consider getting yourself a perfume, that counts, as well if your budget can handle it. Plan your spend online and see how much it is.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Sophia, I don't use cream eyeshadows so I don't know what either of those or any others are like. Anyone else?
Kimrose
1416 posts
I was given a MAC gift card and thought I could use it when we went through duty free, however you cant use them there.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!