Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

To tell or Not to tell

29 posts, 28 members
Macs
5351 posts
Hey ladies, I'm just interested if you ladies share what you buy with your partner. Or like me sometimes do a sneaky dash to my closet to hide what I got. Sounds bad I know lol
Kellie
570 posts
If he shows interest I'll share, but I don't know that I'd want him to investigate the contents under my bed ....  (there's SO much under it!!!)
Mila
1209 posts
I probably dont tell him everything (mainly beauty related cause he doesnt totally get it :) ) but I dont hide anything either, my partner is quite observant when it comes to new clothing items so I dont bother hiding haha
porridgefish
3 posts
I show my partner my new goodies when I get them! I like to know what he thinks (he's definitely often clueless but it's the thought that counts). I also keep a running wishlist that he frequently refers to for gifts. That works nicely!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I do! He does not get it. I think he knows what a mascara is now though. At long last.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Yeah I tell my hubby everything, even if I'm guilty of overspending, but he has his vices and I have mine...shopping lol so we equalise each other out.  90% of the time I get him something at the same time like a DVD, or game it helps to relieve some of the guilt even though he really is a sweetie who treats me like a queen and never bats his lashes at any of my spending, guess I'm lucky there.  Be a different story if we had kids though as there wouldn't be the spare cash at the end of the month to spend on anything else so I'm enjoying it while it lasts =)
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I'm currently single but my ex partner was a total gem, he knew quite a bit about make up because of his female roommate and he used to be interested in watching me put on my make up at the start of the day. He actually bought me my first MAC lipstick! I used to tell him about all of my new things. Right now my younger brother is on the receving end of me gushing when my packages arrive though.
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
Haha this is so funny!  I've dashed to the cupboard once or twice but always end up showing him what I've bought later...then by the time I get around to wearing it he's forgotten where it came from & thinks it's new again :s  - "oh when did you get that?" - Literally happened this morning with a t-shirt! If it's makeup it really just goes over his head because he's not exactly interested :p
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
At the moment I can honestly say that I tell him everything, but if my beauty spending increases then I may just start 'forgetting' - (the last couple of years it's been expensive yarn packages from overseas that I've had to hide lol-- swapping one obsession for another!)
pumau
121 posts
I tell my partner everything, well I ask him if I should get it and then explain everything thats in the shopping cart and he tries to care but he just doesnt understand. But he often forgets my old items so when i have them out or on he often thinks theyre new. But we even out, I buy makeup, he buys car parts.
tabykitten
186 posts
I don't not tell him... that being said, I used to try to down-play how many pairs of shoes I had because he thought I had too many. I'd just mix a new pair in with all the old pairs in the hope that he wouldn't notice, and he would ALWAYS notice. I don't know how, because I didn't store them in a super obvious way... but within a day of me buying a new pair, he would notice them.  

I keep waiting for him to say something about my nail polish collection, which I do store in a very obvious way... but it seems that nail polish is not on his radar ;) Maybe because it takes up less space.
Lutece
1849 posts
Most of the time hubby doesnt care lol which is good for me :) I try to tell or show him what i get but hes not interested lol
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I tell hubby mine. He pretends to know what things are. Even tries to have me on about exfoliating and manicures
Julieal
915 posts
I am guilty of the secret stash -I think it is because my partner doesn't spend a lot on himself and I feel quilty. Silly I Know !!!
kirstyj
1732 posts
My partner doesn't care how much I spend money-wise. We are both pretty sensible with money so that is all good. Also I don't care when he spends money on computer 'stuff'.

He trys to be interested in what I'm buying and actually has surprised me quite a few times by saying 'is that like that other thing that was in the purple packaging' and pays attention which I really like. When we go away on holiday he always points out pharmacies and beauty shops to go into as well. I must say I don't do so well at paying attention to the computer games he picks up!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I tell my brother as I'm single and none of my friends are really beauty minded. Not every product but you know the big ones like the beauty review box or if it was really expensive
g1ggles2
358 posts
I sort of do haha that sounds weird I know.
Lile if I order anything online I send it to his work so he see what I get and sometimes get quite excited for me or emails me at works and teases me about opening it haha

If its just something I buy out & about I may mention it he isnt fazed as he buys himself little things every now & then and often says I dont need to explain myself, however I do often ask permission for a big spend item since we have a joint account and its only fair I think :)
pintsize
1072 posts
I am hopeless at keeping secrets from hubby, although I see him glaze over when I start showing him make up (I can spark an interest if I am wearing it though).
I don't think he minds as long as I don't 'break the bank' (lucky I have some selfcontrol as there are other things on my wishlist I will definitely need permission for).

We did have an interesting conversation about the cost of lipstick after I did a sleep deprived shop for a MAC lipstick without doing much research on best place to buy... when he quizzed me I said how much do you think it cost... lets just say it did not start well; but he loves the colour on me so the debate was won by me ;)
Jesse
745 posts
I'm in a LDR so my partner generally has no idea what I buy when unless I for some reason include it in a message/call or he's there at the time, but I wouldn't hide purchases from him :)
Macs
5351 posts
I have a perfume addiction. If Im buying on the card I tell him. If I got cash I don't tell at all. This years going to be very hard for me as we are saving to buy a house. If he knew how much it added up to he would be furious. I know i'll be hearing no alot this year. Sometimes I know it's gonna be a no hence the sneaking. I notice all his new tools and I never say no. Thanks sharing ladies. I need to be a bit more honest. I can cry about it to yous if it's a no.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I've never even considered to tell or not to tell if I want it I buy it, and I'm sure if I run up to my husband and say I brought some makeup he would be as interested in my purchases, as  I know I wouldn't be if he told me he brought some tools or whatever, I've never brought anything and hidden it either. 
SandyGedge
394 posts
Yes ive been known to put things away in the wardrobe etc without telling my partner but it's not because I'm trying to lie to him...more like he just doesn't need to know about every single purchase I make hehe he finds out eventually and doesn't care anyway. I think it's more of a fact that I can feel guilty for buying myself items which I know is silly but that's how ive always been.
Marcel
335 posts
Tell all..we al have our hobbies, passions and interests most of them require funding. Although i don't currently reside with my significant other therefore i do as i please with my money and answer to no one..of course things are different when you're sharing a home and a bank account. probably won't be getting away with such self indulgence when that happens boooo!
notjaya
62 posts
I don't see any reason why you should hide! x
Nattie
1 posts
God I would never get into great detail with hubby bout my makeup purchases! Lol he knows Im obbsessed but I would never tell him about prices etc. He wouldnt get it just like I dont get the car stuff ;)
Im normally so excited when I buy new clothing that I will come home amd show him straight away, hoping he likes it too. When it comes to beauty products I dont want to bore him, I may mention what I bought but not go into the excitement of showing him everything. 
sophie4cats
139 posts
The only thing I intentionally hide is chocolate haha!! Everything else I dont think he cares about, and our finances are still seperate so what I spend my money on is still relly only my business (:
Hippyatheart
3 posts
We have no secrets here. Hubby knows about everything I buy, mostly because I am a tight arse and would rather spend money on him and the children then myself. He actually encourages me to buy new items. Could not hide new clothes and shoes around here. I know that within an hour or so of bringing them home he will come out with them on. More so for the giggle than anything else. :)
Cat
474 posts
I don't hide what I buy but I don't share what I pay, (unless it's a bargain) he just wouldn't understand lol. We like to keep ourselves financially independent for the most part so I just do my thing and he dies his. Change is coming though as we're saving for house and wedding :o 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!