Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Tips and Tricks for Mouth Ulcers?

22 posts, 17 members
Imoshen
461 posts
I've read they can be caused by stress (which is what I'm going through at work at the moment) and it seems that once one goes, another pops up and wow are they big and painful.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips that I could try out to stop them getting worse when they start showing up.

I usually use drambuie which is a great treatment but my bottle of it is nearly dry and I can not afford a new one at the moment.
MissQT
1547 posts
yes, one of the causes of mouth ulcers can be stress and if you are stressed at the moment it's likely to be due to this, so you are right. I find mouth ulcers can also appear from just biting on the check of your mouth too. I used to get them a lot when I had braces or just accidentally biting on the inside of my check. They are really annoying too, especially when eating, so I feel your pain! Try rinsing your mouth with a mouth wash, savacol by Colgate is good but I think it's recommended not to be used for longer than 10 days straight as its quit strong. The mouth wash will clear the Bactria from the ulcer. A salt rinse can also do the same. As for creams I like using Oracourt I think it's called. I think you can get it at the chemist, but I got mine from the doctor. Can't remember how much it was sorry but it wasn't too expensive. If I have bad ulcers I apply the cream 3-4 times a day, or at least two times a day. I find it helps using a cotton tip to apply it and drying the ulcer with the other end of the tip before applying, because it helps make the cream stick and not slip off from saliva.
Imoshen
461 posts
Ooooooooooooo thanks for that!  I'll have a look in the chemist and the salt wash might be good too. 

Alcohol kills it quite nicely but boy is it strong (that and I love sucking it out of the cotton wool mmmmmm Drambuie) and wow does it sting so I was hoping for something a little less severe.
1139 posts
I have mouth ulcers at the moment too! I get them all the time, especially when I'm stressed. They used to get so bad when I had braces so I totally understand what you mean about that, MissQT! 

When I was younger my mum always made me rinse my mouth out with salty water 3 or 4 times a day. I still do that now - it's disgusting and really stings but it seems to work well enough. 
Bronnie
78 posts
I dont suffer from mouth ulcers but my husband does.  I have done alot of resherch into helping heal the mouth ulcer as my husband indures alot of pain with them.  The long and the short of it you cant make it go away once you have got one but you can help ease and speed up the healing time. Generally a mouth ulcer runs a course of about 10 days,  you can apply many mouth ulcer gels from the chemist with a topical anesthetic to help sooth but these are usually short lived and wear off after eating or drinking.  Good old Bongela probably does a good job or if not a better job than some of the expensive stuff. The best we have found so far that helps to speed up the healing time is Hydrogen Peroxide, you can easily purchase from supermarket or chemist.  Take a small cap full and swish around mouth and hold over ulcer for about 1 minute.  You will feel the liquid start to fizz and foam, this is it working, spit it out and rinse mouth. Do this morning and night.
Alot of people argue that particular foods irritate the lining of the mouth eg: citrus and cause ulcers, in my husband case none of these did but did find that drinking too many coffees usually sets him off with one so might be a good idea to take alook at what you are eating or eating alot off.  Hope this helps, good luck.
I came across this recently: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-148911/What-eat-beat-mouth-ulcers.html

Worth a read!
tannygirl
3392 posts
I had to google what a mouth ulcer was because I don't call them that. I know them as mouth sores. I got them very often as a kid particularly if I accidentally bit the side of my mouth or my lip. It's tough when they're on the sides of your mouth they swell out and stick out and you're trying to eat to not bite them accidentally again. They can get so bad they can make your eyes tear when you eat something that irritates them or accidentally bite them. It stings really bad but I used to put plain salt on it directly as that has helped them heal faster. I found out with me that when I get enough sleep and eat healthy and avoid sugary foods they don't show up unless I accidentally bite the sides of my mouth or lip. I think you can get like little rounds clear covers for them somewhere and it helps them heal faster as it puts up a barrier over the sore while you eat. I haven't tried it though and I can't remember the name of it either. I hope this was helpful.
NG
10 posts
This might seem like an old wives tale- but my mum says that ulcers can also be because your body is "overheating".  So as soon as you feel an ulcer coming on, have a shower and wash your hair in cold water. This probably helps relieve some stress too- so might be the real theory behind the old wives tale. I have always done this and seems to help!

Good luck!
colleencanary
764 posts
Swishing some salt water (gross I know) is what I did when I use to get ulcers. They kill the bacteria in your mouth helping not make the ulcer worse and will start to heal the ulcer.
Dayton
22 posts
I have used salt water and it does really help make a difference to me.  I know that it sounds gross but it feels good afterwards.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Ahh Imoshen, I feel ya girl.  Woke up with one on the side of my inner cheek this morning hurts like hell to eat (woohoo can't eat = lose weight, yeah right! lol)

Gave it a swirl of salted water this morning instead of mouthwash, that normally heals them over 24 hours, gotta stop the stressing :)
Imoshen
461 posts
bronnie77 - I feel for your husband!  He'd probably have a lot more fun swirling Drambuie around in his mouth though ;).  I was hoping someone wouldn't bring up the idea of not drinking coffee, that is my only addiction at the moment (that and spending money) and I'll be damned if I give up my coffee.

Yes, mouth ulcers from biting your cheek is the worst, teeth rubbing against it irritating and making it worse, had those too but my latest two have both been just under my bottom lip.

Positive these are from stress as I've never had so many one after the other for years and years.  Funny how the body reacts to mental stresses.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!  I'll definitely try the salt water next time one pops up.  I wonder if it is the iodine in the salt that causes it to sting.

Speaking of salt water, it's also really good for eye wash for dry, irritated, red eyes.  You don't have to buy those saline drops from the chemist, just mix salt in with some warm water.

annaliesew832
44 posts
Rinsing your mouth with salt water does help, but have you tried bonjela? it helps with the pain. If you are getting quite big ones, doctors can prescribe this cream that comes in a tube, it is amazing, I apply it when I get one and it is gone in like 2 days! But yes ulcers are caused by stress and your body being run down, so make sure to get lots of rest and slow down :) 
Really interesting read ladies. I was complaining earlier of a small ulcer. We use a juicer everyday so I was blaming that. X
kiwidebs
18 posts
My absolute go-to solution for mouth ulcers is Marmite.

Yup, just put some Marmite on a cotton bud or teaspoon handle and cover the ulcer. It will sting for a few moments but it soon wears off. Try not to lick it all off straight away but leave it on for as long as you can. I'm not sure what the magic ingredient is, but this clears up ulcers quicker than anything else I've tried. Plus I like the idea of a 'natural' solution.
MissQT
1547 posts
Wow intersting about the marmite! I never would have thought to use it. I guess it's the salt in the marmite maybe, as marmite is quite salty?
Kellie
570 posts
Timely thread!  I have the mother of all ulcers in my mouth at the moment and bonjela wasn't cutting it - LOVE the idea of Drambuie! ;)  And Marmite!  Will have to give the latter a go as I don't have any of the former :)

chelseaadelaide
703 posts
If I feel that I am starting to get an ulcer I will put a whoooole lot of salt into a glass of water and swish it around my mouth for at least a minute. If I do it early enough the ulcer won't develop any further xx
1139 posts
It's amazing how many people use the salt water trick. I always thought my mum was just making it up!
colleencanary
764 posts
Elena its seems our mothers always know best aye haha ;)
Julieal
915 posts
I dab with  dryBaking soda and even though the taste is not nice seems to work every time
Sophia
203 posts
The sugar in the Drambuie will interfere with the healing of the ulcer but I do like the idea of something tasty. My go to for healing ulcers is Savacol mouthwash. Don't rinse your whole mouth with it cause it's way too strong for regular use, just put a little in the lid and gently brush it on the sore area. Do this a couple of times over 1 or 2 days and the ulcer usually clears. The little round ulcers are usually a bir more stubborn than the ulcers I get after biting my cheek or inside lip.
Savacol is heavy duty stuff and has actual alcohol in it, hence the bacteria killing properties which let your mouth do the rest. Dont use it for anything other than this or what a dentist has recommended.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!