Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Those elusive perfect products

34 posts, 15 members
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
What beauty product do you know you want but struggle to find 'the one' for you?

I've been on the hunt for a good orange/peach under-eye colour corrector for yonks now but my colour correcting soul mate is yet to make its presence known. The ones I've tried are either too drying or don't provide enough coverage...so the hunt continues!

What product are you struggling to find? Maybe we can give each other recommendations :)
kirstyj
1732 posts
Have you tried the Bobbi Brown one Sarah? I've heard good things.

I'm still looking for the perfect mascara, I want blackest black, uber-waterproof, adds a bit of volume, and holds a curl. Nothing seems to do it all!
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
That mascara sounds like something I need too. I'm also looking for the perfect contouring kit.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Kirsty - yes I have! A friend uses it and it hides her darkness insanely well, so I bought it in Hawaii and tried it a few days in a row, then returned it while I had the chance. Haha. It was the most drying of all that I've tried thus far, sadly.

I've heard good things about the Bobbi Brown Serum Corrector...it's just that it's a lot of money to spend if it ends up not working, and you can't even pass it on to someone else to try.

Your perfect mascara sounds like my perfect mascara! Maybe you need the Estee Lauder Little Black Primer...haha. Everyone seems to rave about that Le Volume De Chanel one - I so badly want to try that!
kirstyj
1732 posts
Hmmm I can't think of anything non-drying Sarah. Dry-ness seems to come hand in hand with a lot of concealers.
I don't know what I'm going to do in my search for a new mascara. I don't even know where to begin! I have tried almost every Maybelline one so I feel like I'm going to go onto expensive ones next which I'm not looking forward to.

Itsclearascrystal - Have you tried the Sleek Face Form kit? Has bronzer (matte), blush, and highlight in one set and I find it great (link here). Unless you are after one of the contour kits that has multiple contour/highlights then I'm no help at all!
trudijoy
8375 posts
my top 3 mascaras so far are Benefit BadGal Lash and Rollerlash, and Urban Decay Perversion (although Chanel Inimitable and Lancome Hypnose were pretty good).  The Benefit ones are about $20 for the minis and the UD one I got in Oz for about $18 for the smaller size I think.

Covergirl Bombshell was also pretty good.

For undereyes I sometimes use my UD eyeshadow primer, which seems to work quite well, esp topped with something like Hourglass Ambient.  I also like Benefit Ooh La La - but I'm not so much colour correcting as hiding the darker circles
Always searching for the perfect mascara!!!
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh and i'm looking for the perfect finishing powder and also the perfect black eyeliner. I actually found the perfect black eyeliner, but it's not available in NZ and it makes me sad
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Sarah, have you tried Kryolan Dermacolor "D30"?

I've also used Physicians Formula Gentle Cover Concealer Stick in "Soft Yellow".  It's much creamier than other colour correctors I've tried (and it's available from iHerb).

RamblingRose
1280 posts
Kirstyj, have you tried Jelly Pong Pong Fairy Lashes Curl mascara?  It's not waterproof but is water-resistant.   Unfortunately, I haven't found it anywhere in NZ, only on their website but it does hold a curl and is one of my favourite mascaras. 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I'm still trying to find a really good translucent powder (preferably loose but compact is okay) for my oily skin. 
kirstyj
1732 posts
I've heard of that one before Silvene! Great suggestion. I'll look into it now.
Ringy
825 posts
I feel like I'm still trying to find the perfect everything. If I had found the absolute perfect anything then I'd like to think I wouldn't have so many products on the go.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Ooo yes I've heard good things about that Jelly Pong Pong mascara! My favourite mascaras that aren't Maybelline are the MM one and L'Oréal Miss Manga/Manga Rock. I've never really tried any highend ones - not out of lack of want!

Silvene, I haven't tried the Kryolan one. It's only half the price of the Bobbi Brown one, and if it's good enough for makeup artists then surely it can work for me. Thank you!

I've recently heard good things about the RMS No Makeup powder that's on Beautylish. I really want to try it, but have to wait until I run out of what I've got.
Macs
5351 posts
I can relate to that Ringy. I haven't found the perfect anything for make up. Yet I have heaps of favourites for skincare.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Sarah, if you're keen to get the Kryolan D30, try and get the palette refill - it's smaller than the 4g pot and even cheaper and will last ages.  I couldn't find a link for it on Kryolan's website (they would have them at Kryolan's Newmarket store in Auckland) and this NZ supplier has them.

Glad I could help.  I hope it works for you.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Blush. I just can't find a colour that I really love. I have a go to blush which is nice but I want to find one which I love, one that will be my first pick and one that suits my skin tone
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Amy, I used to have the same issues with finding the perfect blush shade until I stumbled across So Susan Universal Blush.  It's the best powder blush that I've ever used and it always looks good, no matter how the rest of my make-up is done!  Unfortunately, it's not easily available in NZ and has to be purchased from online retailers.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Silvene, you're an absolute gem! Thank you so much. That makes it easier to take the plunge and buy it :) I shall let you know how I get on!

Amy, I agree with Silvene. I used that blush religiously when I had it, it was a good little work horse. Since then I've bought highend blushes such as Hourglass, MAC etc trying to find a colour I love just as much, but the blush I find myself using everyday? A $5 City Color blush - because it's the perfect colour for me! I hope you find yours soon :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
a face wash :< everything I use is too drying cos the pH level of them is too high. I'm yet to find one that doesn't make me want to claw my face off :D There was more on this list, I was in the middle of replying a few days ago but closed the window and forgot what I had on said list :D
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Shaz, have you tried using a Konjac sponge with face wash?  I find it lessens the drying effects and I can now use ones that would normally leave my face feeling tight. (If they make you feel like clawing your face, obviously don't bother trying them with a sponge either, just if its a slight tightness) And of course you can use the sponge on its own too. I also find creamy face washes better. Clear ones are a no go for me. Trilogy ones are quite gentle. 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Aw Shaz that used to be me for yeeeeears! Have you tried Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub? It sounds like it'd be harsh but it's hardly got any "scrub" in it, it's really just a super gentle, creamy face wash. I've been using it for nearly 2 years now and from what I recall it has no bad-for-your-skin ingredients in it. You can get it super cheap from the supermarket.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I did have a sponge, it was nice! But then it broke and I never bought another one. I'm currently using an Essano one, it's not bad but it's not what I want either, and I've tried a creamy Nuetrogena one but that was a bit eh as well. makes me sad panda
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Silvene thank you for the suggestion! The shade is beautiful! I'll look into how I go about obtaining it hehe thank you x
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Shazatron, I do like the Bee sensual cream cleanser and also the Skinfood cream cleanser but my skin is normal/combo and not sensitive. Maybe Oasis, Living nature or Goodness as well but I haven't tried those ones yet.

I still look for the mascara that puts diamonds on my lashes and the perfect foundation. I have some samples to use as the one I am using, I just don't feel the love for it but at $75 I am going to fight through.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Shaz, I don't know if you're looking for a foaming cleanser or a cleansing lotion.  Have you tried any of these? 

- Oasis Beauty Cleansing Milk (I think it's now called "Light Milk")
- Glamourflage Halo Helen Cleanser (they have 3 NZ stockists listed on their website)
- Biore Balancing Cleanser
- Dedicated to Nature Maintain Cleanser

MissQT
1547 posts
I'd love to find the perfect nude lipstick that lasts all day and isn't drying. The ones I have tried are either too light and washed out or too pink or brown for my skin tone. I think Mac velvet teddy is next on my list to try.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Shaz, I don't know if you are after a cream cleanser or foaming cleanser. If your skin is really dry I would recommend an oil cleanser. I've used Tailor's Oil Cleanse and the Bon Bon one and those were really good. If you feel really dry but want to use a foaming clenaser you could use a oil cleanser followed by a gel one. If you're after a cream cleanser Living Nature's Vitalizing Cleanser is amazing for putting moisture back in your skin and soothing it, you can read my review on it. It's one of my favourites. I think their Sensitive Cleanser would also be good too.
tannygirl
3392 posts
Skincare wise a serum that makes my sunspots and pimple scars disappear in a reasonable timeframe at a good price. Not something that has an astromical price tage and will just fade it by up to twenty percent according to trials done on x number of women via the company's claims.

Makeup wise eyeliner that utterly smudge-proof, flake proof and removes easily at the end of the day, since there's nothing completely smudge proof or flake proof on me. 
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Seconding a mascara that is amazing and also easy to get off! I'm dreading opening my Benefit They're Real for this reason. My mum loves Chanel mascaras - so much so she keeps the wand to use with cheaper ones!
trudijoy
8375 posts
mascara - loosen it with a drop of rosehip oil. Just rub it over your lashes before you use your eye makeup remover. I did this with 'They're Real' and it worked better than the actual They're Real REMOVER
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Oooh excellent tip thank you!
MissQT
1547 posts
I do the same Trudi but with coconut oil 
trudijoy
8375 posts
ooh i'm almost out of rosehip but have loads of coconut, will have to try that one! the mascaras i'm using atm (UD Perversion and Benefit Rollerlash) are both melting off easily with ZA oil cleanser <3

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!