Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

The year is near the end!

34 posts, 24 members
Lutece
1849 posts
We are officially in the last month of 2015 and its gone by so quickly!

Looking back to the start of this year, what beauty habits have changed since then? It could be new things you have added, or things you have learnt

The main things that stand out for me would be bold lipstick choices and learning the importance of Skincare (Thank you beauty review)

I would love to see what you have changed or learnt from the wonderful year of 2015.

P.S Only 24 sleeps until Christmas :)
MareeB
5241 posts
For me it's probably having tried a lot of new products, resulting in a dedication to serums and oils that has benefitted my skin!
Designer-mic
249 posts
What a great topic Lutece. My make up collection, skills and skin care routine have changed hugely . All thanks to becoming a BR member and having this site full of amazing information and advise at my finger tips. Im still learning and enjoying every minute of it.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I have changed as a person and i think thats reflected in my appearance.

I've added highlighters, bright lippy, ombre/balayage hair and liquid eyeliner to my look. I've discovered amazing new products and brands and accepted that its okay to treat myself to beauty items. I've discovered Sephora, Mecca Maxima and other amazing places.

And BR has given me so much. As someone cattily pointed out the other day BR has given me a lot of 'stuff' but its also legitimised a 'frivolous hobby' & given me a place to share, learn and grow
astylecollector
204 posts
I can't believe it's almost the end of the year! This year has gone by so quickly and there's been a few ups and downs.

Makeup-wise, I've started wearing eyeshadow more and have got the cat-eye flick almost down pat. I love my Za liquid eyeliner I got from the March BB. It has made my eyeliner skills so much better.

I've also tried new products/brands a lot more this year and my makeup collection has grown!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
And boy o boy, do we love seeing your bold lippy choices! ;)

I seriously cannot believe the year is nearly over! Argh. This was definitely my year for finding my feet with beauty products though :) and what a fun journey it has been!

The main changes would be ditching the bleach blonde hair, no longer needing to buy every new product that catches my eye and finally finding my correct foundation match! All things I'm very happy about. Here's to learning more next year! 

Oh! And I've come a looong way with my poor excuse for brows, they're not perfect, but they've certainly improved by no longer starting above my pupil 0_o
kirstyj
1732 posts
I am not ready for Christmas! Let alone the end of the year!!!! Argh, so much to do so little time.

I think the main thing I have learnt this year is the joy of having less. I no longer purchase every new thing that comes along, and I am still trying to pan products and get rid of things I don't use anymore.

Love hearing how far everyone has come this year!
Designer-mic
249 posts
Sounds like we have all had some positive changes 2015. I've pinpointed a few things I've picked up. Oil cleanser... Where have you been all my life. Eyebrow gear... OMG I can't believe I used to leave you naked my eyebrows.... Never again. Serum and night creams.... No more one moisturiser does all. Just a few of the many.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Taking braver options in makeup and becoming more confident in myself is the things that I notice first. And going back to blonde, oh how I missed being blonde.
Lutece
1849 posts
I am loving all of these! One year can change a lot of things, I am so happy to see the positivity that is always shared on beauty review too :) Beauty review has taught us so much!
Designer-mic
249 posts
The positivity is huge in this site. I don't think I have ever seen a mean, nasty or negative comment. BR has done a great job of creating a happy place.
RachLouise
218 posts
I have changed so many of my beauty habbits since the beginning of the year. I have stepped up my brush hygiene, Brought new brushes, Grown my makeup collection, Started trying out new techniques and reached for bolder colours.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I have started using more nz brands, tried lots of nail designs and got my bright palette so I now do a lot of bright eye shadows.
Rezee
1964 posts
This year has definitely been a focus on skincare year. I've only skipped a handful of nights where I haven't taken my makeup off for bed and thats only as I've been sick and it was just hard enough just getting into bed!I've also focused lots on panning older items. I'm finally seeing an end to my lotion stash and it's quite exciting. Makeup wise, I've bought a lot in and next year is going to be about me pin pointing what I really enjoy using and not buying into new product hypes. We'll see though lol.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Same with me kirstyj. I still have loads but I appreciate it more, and I buy less.
Macs
5351 posts
This year has been a year of battling smoking. I've fallen off the wagon this week. Its been tough. I was looking at my products SMH thinking gez I have alot that either needs panning or on selling because I'm not using it. Im proud of my skincare , its the best I've ever had it and I can say it's working for me.This year I'm at my biggest so in the new year I'll be looking at getting heealthy. Hopefully next year I can weed out old make up and just buy make up il commit to using.
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
I'm sure you can do it Macs! Quitting smoking is hard but it's doable! This year I've tried so many new brands of makeup thanks to BR, like bobbi brown and oasis. Hopefully I'll discover even more amazing brands next year!
Artemis
311 posts
Macs, your new profile pic looks nice! :) 
Not many changes for me really, just had to get used to "makeup on the go", I guess this year I've become more lazy with makeup unfortuntely, due to having less time, I just stick to the tried and true which is so unlike me but I dont have time for doing elaborate looks with loose eyeshadows and stuff right now :(
However, being involved with BR, blogging and now with Instagram has made me enjoy the social side of makeup/beauty, which is fun.Hopefully next year I can explore some new techniques and maybe even put some looks up on IG etc. 
Phew it's been a while since I was last here!

My main thing would be skincare. I ran out of makeup wipes in around September and ever since then I've been a skincare freak. I'm glad I kicked that habit! I'm more or less forced to take proper care of my skin now but hey, that's a good thing since I no longer have excuses!
idomakeupnz
150 posts
Hmm things that I've learnt/changed...
Well, I came to realise that no matter how pretty I think lipgloss is I just don't wear it - so I got rid of it all, I'm a matte lipstick girl through and through.
I also realised that I'm just one person and I don't really need 5 lipsticks in the same colour, so I have worked on decluttering my collection and focusing on buying good quality products that I know I love and will use. It feels much nicer having a more manageable collection, all that makeup can get overwhelming at times.
I think the most important thing for me this year was skincare. I've always tried to look after my skin and doing my course last year taught me a lot! But this year I took the time and effort to research it more indepth and I've really come to love Korean skincare, it's far superior to Western products in every way. My skin is the best it's ever been and it's all thanks to taking the time to really learn about things.
chloednz
217 posts
Skincare is a big one! I was lucky if I removed my makeup with a makeup wipe a year ago, these days I am pretty strict with my skincare routine. I've also flipped from wanting to buy all the things to being a little more selective and spending a little more for things I really want/need
tannygirl
3392 posts
I started using liquid liner and attempting a winged liner. I started highlighting the inner corners of my eyes and using colored liner underneath since I have no eyelid I find that lining underneath my eyes brings them out more. Also started wearing nude shades of lippy and bright pinks like fuschia. Skincare wise I tried using an oil cleanser and invested in the Foreo Luna. Body care wise I got in the habit of using a pumice stone in the shower daily.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Designer - mic there were instances of negative nasty nonsense in the past. BR moderates well and fairly; those girls mostly no longer post much.
Designer-mic
249 posts
Trudijoy. I must of missed it in the past. Have experienced a hint of it now. All the lovely peps make up for that though.
Rezee
1964 posts
Designer mic,  no one was being negative towrds you about the tea :) I think it's more just concern that these products aren't necessarily great to use. 
I find this forum incredibly supportive the majority of the time, maybe sometimes things are misconstrued as tones are hard to get across in writing!
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
For me it was discovering that I am stronger than I think.  I never realized how muchs strength I had until I went through some tough stuff this year.  I changed my hairstyle at least three times and went bright pink and purple. Makeup wise I have started wearing more bold colour lips than just red.  I have very, very recently learned I have a different skin type than previously told.  So now my focus is on skin care thanks to Idomakeup xx  This year has taught me alot about myself as a person and about what I am passionate about.  It is in part thanks to some amazing friends I have met on here (they know who they are) and discovering new products through BR.
Next year I hope to get a hold of my skin and make it in to something I am proud of.  I want to downsize my makeup collection and purchase a few quality items that I love.  There is so much I want to achieve next year so here's hoping :D
Designer-mic
249 posts
Shana it sound like you have had a wicked year. Good luck for your goals for next year. Im hearing you about skin type. I had being using products for normal to oily skin without realising my skin has changed over the years and isn't like that anymore. My skin has improved so much now that I have changed my skin care products to something that adds what it needs.
Designer-mic
249 posts
Rezee. You are right things can easily be picked on incorrectly. Some of the comments did come across a tad hard out. Think I'll stick to the makeup topics from now on. :)
chikoboo
3402 posts
2015 has had a heap of up and downs for me and I am not surprised that it has flown by so fast.  It seems the last 2 months I have just been getting busier!

For me 2015 has seen the lose of a loved one, an annoucment of a new one, the removal of fairweather friends, and the ups of my blogging becoming more recognised as well as the set up of my own Jamberry business. 

Makeup wise I am always learning and love to do so, I don't buck a trend unless it is something I really like.  Hence I am a no contour kind of girl.

2016 is going to be far more awesome than this year, it is already set up to be so I shall make it so.  I am thinking that you guys won't be seeing much of me if at all in the forums anymore as I really have myself spread out thin as it is, but I will still be adding my reviews and keeping an eye on things
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
2015 has had extreme highlights and some really devastating moments. I sure have learned a lot about myself this year and am working on the things I don't like whilst embracing and allowing myself to nuture the things I do like. 

Makeup up wise I have been slowly treading into wearing coloured eye looks, which has been a huge challenge as I'm definitely a neutral girl. I'm also really making an effort to look after my skin and am drinking more water and less coffee. 

Like idomakeup I have also tried to streamline my collection and have gotten rid of things I don't use. I'd rather have less items that I adore than a huge collection of things that aren't used. 

I cant wait for 2016 and hope I continue to grow as a person and to take risks makeup wise. 
Natzz
13 posts
Trudi instead of making obvious digs at me feel free to message me off the beauty review website instead of trying to goad me into a fight with you. I am not interested in being negative in here and want to be more active on the site as other people mentioned on my other post. My intention wasn't mean towards you and I have no interest in starting a fight but you need to stop making snide comments. If you would like my email address to address me off her then I am happy to provide that otherwise stop with your comments. I want this to be a happy place and am trying to be more careful with how I word things as I did not mean offence. You bringing it up is not a positive thing and I am sure other people don't want to hear out arguing. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
natzzz, most of your posts have been digs. This one is hypocritical, and out of line. I have no interest in communicating with you at all and would love for you to stop calling me out in public on what you see as my flaws as that is not your right, your place, or anything I'm going to take on board from such a negative person.

Kindly don't make this about a fight between you and I. I have no fight with you. I don't wish to bring the boards down with this kind of thing. My comment was about negativity in general - you're the one who applied it to yourself.

This ends here, for me. I have no interest in pursuing a battle or contacting you offsite. I'm also sure that BR and the rest of the girls don't need to see fights being picked and people being called out for things they didn't actually do. Think whatever you like of me but for once and for all KEEP IT OFF THE BOARDS PLEASE.

*eta* I thought this was about the comment I made to Designer-mic - but now see there is a comment above where I refer to natzzz comment about me 'unfairly' getting loads of trials this year as  catty.  I make no apology for that, as it was an inappropriate comment made to me and about me, and I didn't mention her by name - but the rest of this stands firm.  I do not want any part of a fight.  I have edited my comment rather than post a new one for the sake of transparency and because I re-read what I've posted on here, as I do when I post anywhere, and saw where there had been an error on my part but only in connecting to which post natzzz was referring to.  
Natzz
13 posts
As someone else said I think my post came across wrong because I was bought up to be very direct and sometime that comes scrap in the way I don't mean for it to. I never bought up what you said were your "flaws" - I don't even know you so I don't know what your strengths and flaws are and even if I did it is not in my character to make personal attack against people. Th only reason that I mentioned you on here is because I have no way of talking to you aside from here it isn't for any malicious reason that I feel you think it is. I think if you want people like myself to not comment on your things then maybe you shouldn't make comments that are very obviously directed at me - I was the one that bought up that you had a lot of things sent to you so don't lie and say it wasn't about me. I might not be very good with English but I'm not stupid. 
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I have been extremly active on BR for over a year now, which is insane because since I joined all my habits have changed. I think the most important thing I have learnt is how important skincare is.  Still haven't perfected that wing or contouring yet. Maybe next year!!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!