Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

The way children view beauty & makeup

22 posts, 13 members
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I thought i would share this story because i found it interesting..

I was on the couch with my 7yr old neice tonight and she said "when i grow up, i am going to wear makeup". I asked her "why?" and she said .. "because i like makeup" and i said "what do you like about it? " and she said.. "when your old you need to wear makeup. if you don't you face will look melted and you will have to pull your face up over your head and pin in there so you look nice". 

I honestly did not have a response for that so i just smiled. 

I know a lot of you are mums out there, or work with children.. Do you have any funny beauty interpretations of stories to share?
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
My baby brother is obsessed with make up, it's really cute. He calls everything "pretty". 
chikoboo
3402 posts
Oh my! That is adorable. I don't have babes but I have spoken to my niece about makeup as she's always asking me, she is Adorable but a tom boy who is happy wearing boots, nail polish and mud coverng everything (aww just like her aunt!) for an 8 year old she's pretty switched on though, she knows that makeup is a creative thing to enhance what you got. Always evaluates my looks like a judge mwahaha
kirstyj
1732 posts
I don't have any kiddies but I just wanted to say that I love that story BinaryBeauty!
Macs
5351 posts
My daughter is obsseing over a make up station like mine. I told her when we move we can get her a mini one.  I've got plans to get a set from Rovie, knowing they are safe for her to use. She idolises Katy perry. After seeing that article about young girls wearing make up, I want to restrict the amount shes going to use. Strictly lipgloss and eye shadow.
MareeB
5244 posts
Oh that's really cute! I remember being little and thinking my mother was beautiful (she was beautiful) and loved the way she looked and smelt. Like most women in her generation, she always wore lip stick and 'powder', and had a comb in her bag. I was totally in awe of her.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Thanks ladies! Good on you Maccine, i saw a picture today that reminded me of that article. I will try find it and link it below! 
The link is here 

Mareebrosthat is such a sweet story! My mum didn't really wear much makeup, only a touch of eyeliner, olay moisturizer and perfume! She is pretty beautiful though and clearly her face hasnt 'melted' yet. 
MissQT
1547 posts
I saw that picture in Facebook too binarybeauty! When I was little my mum would occasionally let me ply with her lipstick or wear some for special occasions. She never really wears full face makeup (she is lucky to have pretty flawless skin unlike me) so I didn't really have access to that stuff anyway.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I just think that photo is so.. honest to how the 21st centuary is at the moment MissQTHowever, last week my neices found a lipstick in a drawer... and the outcome was more like the photo on the left (thankfully).  My mum is the exact same, her skin in flawless. I think in the last 22 years, i have seen her have two pimples.
MissQT
1547 posts
yes I agree, when I saw it I thought sadly that is a true. I understand that it is not a reflection of every little girl, but sadly that has become the perception.
chloednz
217 posts
What a crack up BinaryBeauty! My 5yo son seems to have some funny ideas about makeup, lipstick in particular. My mum asked him once if she looked nice and he sort of hmmmd and said yes but you need lipstick. As far as he is concerned I should wear lipstick all day even on the farm lol.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
chloednz i like the way your son thinks! I love the idea of wearing everyday! I suppose i do anyway, but not when im just at home
MareeB
5244 posts
My sons never took any notice at all of my make up, were never interested in touching any of it, and I can't remember them ever commenting. Occasionally when I would emerge fully made up and dressed up they would stare at me as if I were a stranger - that tells you how often I ever went out!
Rezee
1964 posts
My daughter who is 9 next month, said to me this morning while I was doing my makeup, that she is going to have heaps of makeup when she is an adult. Ive told her that I will buy her a mascara when she is 13, and she is pretty happy about that.
the cchild that shows the most interest in my makeup though, is my 2 year old son. He loves playing with my brushes and putting pretend pretties all over his face. If he gets a chance to touch any of my actual makeup, its straight on his face. He also wants his nails done if I am doing mine and I have to do all his fingers, not just one.
my mum rarely wore makeup when I was growing up but I was still obsessed with her one mascara and put it on as often as I could.
trudijoy
8375 posts
My 10-15 year olds constantly comment on my makeup, and it's everything from 'Miss do you wear makeup because you don't have a husband?' to 'Miss can you show me how to do eyes like that?'

I have put makeup on smaller kids before, including my best friends kids (who are now 4 and 9) and other friends kids.  I always ask the parents first.  I find with little girls you dont' even need product on the brushes, just swip them over their face and put a bit of lip gloss on and they think they're made up.

It's all emulation.  If little kids want to use makeup because an older person they love or admire does it, and are told no, then that message is negative, IMO.  It's like you're saying that they aren't allowed to share things with you.

I think it's better to share a little but remind them that it's mostly for older people (older than them) because their skin is already beautiful.
janini9
341 posts
My youngest son was obsessed with nail polish and lipstick when he was three. It didn't come from me as I never wore nail polish and only wore lipstick when going out which was pretty rare in those young kiddy days. He got his interest from kindergarten where they could have their nails painted and face painted - he was either Spider-Man or a fairy lol.
Cue the melt down one day when I bought a new lipstick for myself as I was going to a wedding the next weekend. He thought he should have a new lipstick. He's 16 now and won't let me tell that story anymore - but hey, I know he's not on BR, so I can ;)
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Rezee, your two year old sounds adorable!! 

Haha Trudijoy, that is so funny. Oh and i agree! With my neices if i just dust my clean brush over their face they giggle and love it! I think its more of a novelty thing for them versus actually having the makeup on their face.

Oh janini9 i can only imagine what happened to that lipstick! 
Helen85
7 posts
So cute.  My daughter is still too young to concern herself with makeup, she doesn't even achknowledge it!
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
That is hilarious BinaryBeauty. ...
I don't have any funny things to add but I do know my daughter loves admiring my application and my makeup in general. She's watched YouTube channless where kids are hosting doing makeup. So now my daughter is aware of some brands the one brand that she hasn't forgotten is NYX she wants some jumbo Nyx pencils? Huh I don't have those even. So when she realized I had NYX she was in awe, I caved in and gave her my matte lip creme. She also wants a strawberry eos balm. Luckily a friend is sending me 1 so I'll give her it maybe? my daughter is 6....
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Just revisitng this thread, but with a slightly different subject matter. Has anyone seen that disney makeup range? There is bronzers, and makeup palettes with a disney theme, so packaged like frozen etc. Just wondering if these are aimed at children, or at adults?

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!