Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

telling the difference between a bad product and a product that doesn't work for you....

18 posts, 15 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
... I suppose this is one reason why we're carefully moderated (and indeed why I try to find a positive about everything, although that's also a hang over from writing school reports) but I've read a lot of reviews that are all 'this is an awful product' right next to reviews that are glowing.

What is your personal line when you're deciding if a product is junk or simply doesn't suit you? I think for me I'll give it a fair go and if I can't use it any more (there was one product I can remember, a foundation, that I gave away within a week because it broke me out so bad) then I'll read and see if I can find any redeeming features, decide if it's worth trying again, and still try to find a positive for a review (my mum ended up with that one!). If I've given it a fair go and it's not working for me then I tend to want to describe what I found wrong with it and qualify it by blaming my skin etc but sometimes it's a fine line.

When is a product bad and deserving of a scathing review? When should you be a bit more objective? I've actually rewritten more scathing reviews in the past to try and make them nicer haha.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I think I've only ever done one scathing review, and that was for Schwarzkopf hair dye. The reaction from the company was pretty poor as well so my review was very nasty - I've since gone back and edited it so it's not as nasty, but I was really not happy haha. Come to think of it (and now going through my reviews) everything Schwarzkopf make disappoints me! 
MareeB
5244 posts
Good point, and you've just reminded me. I wrote a great review for an anti-perspirant that appeared to be working well for me, then the last couple of times I used it it didn't work well at all. I'll have to go back and revise my review!

It might be my imagination, but I haven't found anything really terrible (only the curly hair clips in the beauty box, and they're only terrible because I'm too thick to figure out how to use them!) as most products seem to do some moderate to great job according to what they claim to do. I truly don't believe any manufacturer goes all out to create a product that just doesn't work - imagine the cost to them??? Often I think it's just the wrong product for that person. And we can all purchase the wrong product, that's for sure! So I certainly agree with there Trudi.
Jesse
745 posts
I guess for me it depends on what I don't like about a product and why. I look at...
- Does the product do what it says it does?
- Is it user error? e.g. if a product breaks me out but I'm not removing makeup correctly, that's user error as opposed to a bad product
- Is what I don't like about a product possibly a result of it not working for me, as opposed to being a terrible product? (which is what this is thread is based on!)
- Have I tried using it another way?

Examples I have are..
- MAC Studio Fix Powder - I hated this at first as I found it cakey, but then it became my favourite poweder. My problem was I found it too cakey, but the mistake I was making was applying too much product using the supplied sponge as opposed to a light dusting with a kabuki brush. In this instance it's user error and I needed to try using the product another way.
- Estee Lauder Double Wear - This broke me out, but I found it did what it said it would - long-lasting, fantastic coverage. This is a product that just doesn't work for me, but not a terrible product.
- The entire Proactiv skincare range - Terrible, terrible range products. I say this as it bleached my towels and left my skin with a pigmented patch from the bleaching, a result that I wouldn't consider acceptable from skincare, thus scathing review.
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Interesting question and one I'm not sure can answer. Personally I try to remember that everyone is different and what doesn't work for me doesn't mean it doesn't work. I always try to say what my skin type is if it's a skincare product, as some items I have used don't work for my dry skin but work on my oily sister. I always try to remember to say something like 'this didn't work for me but it could for you' or similar. 
astylecollector
204 posts
I quite like this thread and I'm interested to read what other people think. I personally don't know as I always think that the product may just not work for me. I have acne-prone skin and I've tried so many products that have not worked on my skin at all. I still haven't found the perfect products but my skin is not too bad. 

It's interesting how Jesse and most people hate the proactive line. I used it when I was 16-18 as a last resort. I've been to dermatologists and got prescription meds and ointments and once I stopped taking them, my skin will go back to how it used to be. ProActive was the only line that worked for me then but I stopped after 2 years when my skin was better. I wouldn't use it now but I guess it just depends on the skin too.
MareeB
5244 posts
Hi astylecollecter my son had terrible rosacea acne and ProActiv was the only thing that worked for him too. He has also just stopped using it. It's great stuff for very bad acne.
astylecollector
204 posts
Hi Mareebros, good to know it worked on him too. I haven't used it in a long time but back then mine was so bad. I had acne all over my face and the worst part was my forehead and temples. I have scarring on my temples but at least my skin got better. It will never be blemish free though. I wasn't blessed to have perfect skin :\

ragingfrog
1289 posts
There is only one product that I have been less than impressed with but I put my reasoning in the review. If I could have given it a zero I would have.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Hmmm interesting thread. I usually mention my skin/hair type in my review if applicable, or mention who I think a product might be best suited for. If it's straight up awful though I will say so!
ChristineHoll
152 posts
I've been trying to be objective when writing reviews, not sure about my early ones though.

The thing bugging me about reviews lately is that not many people say HOW they've applied a product. CC cream for example, I'm about to go to Farmers to buy some but I'm not sure if I'm meant to apply with my fingers, beauty blender, or something else. It's just small things like that which really helps newbies like me :)
MrsLissy
301 posts
I try to always have something good to say about the product if I don't like it or it doesn't really suit me. A good example for me is the Garnier Micellar Water which on the third day of use set my face on fire. I wrote my review saying I found it worked well for first couple of times but clearly wasn't for me because of the reaction I had. I will also try and point out if a product hasn't lived up to an expectation of mine and what that expectation was so that others can see if that would be something that would put them off.

I like reading a few different views on the products because you can take bits from what others have said and get an idea on whether it would be what you're looking for or not.  Thats the beauty (pun intended) of BR I think those collective experiences and the things we pick up on while all different are ultimately very helpful :D
Rezee
1964 posts
I like to try and say one pro of  product I dont like ( and  con on products I do like!), even if is the most basic thing like the packaging is nice. I do like to write what my skin type is and if I feel like it might suit other people. Sometimes though, there are just crapy products that people need to be warned about!
chikoboo
3402 posts
I too like to find a positive in everything I try and don't think I have ever said that a product is a bad product (bad product? sounds like it is being scolded like a puppy...bad product!!)

Normally I find that a product doesn't work rather than it being a bad product and that is why in my reviews I make a point of stating what my hair and skin type is so people reading it can see for comparison.  Generally my own opinion wouldn't make me say that a product is bad, but if a product has a majority of poor reviews then that would make me reflect on that product and think perhaps it is in fact a bad product.
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I only find a product bad if it has a lot of poor reviews but if it has a majority of outstanding reviews I than head towards maybe I got a dud one or that the product wasn't for me at all
Macs
5351 posts
For me its trial and error. I never really go on what other people says. I love to try it out and decide for myself.
MareeB
5244 posts
Yes astylecollecter, my son was also left with bad scarring, mostly on his cheeks. Unfortunately we tried a lot of things before Proactiv and by then the damage was done. To be honest I think the damage is already done as soon as it starts as the blemishes embed themselves deeply in the skin. Its extremely unlucky to get it.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I do try to look for redeeming qualities in a product but when something is high end, has been tested and wildly advertised as the answer to specific concerns and I had those concerns and it did things to my skin that a product wasn't suposed to do, like Proactiv yes, the review will not be favourable of the product. There also some expensive products with amazing claims that I will purchase because I really want the results and I have given it plenty of time and it still doesn't deal with my minor issues then yes, I won't view the product favourably. Antipodes Apostle serum with it's claims to brighten skin and freckles, I have some tan freckles and I didn't see a difference after seven months of using the product in conjunction with their other skincare in order for the product to work it's best. Also there mineral foundation made my skin itch and get irritated within ten minutes of  application, I don't get that reaction with some non-natural foundations so to get it from their mineral foundation for sensitive skin isn't good and that is reflected in my review. That being said I love most of their products and some of them are my faves but those two didn't work at all for me so the reviews definitely aren't favourable.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!