Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

12 posts, 10 members
Hope it's ok to ask I was wondering if any of you lovely ladies have teenage boys ?
Breakout and skin care for boys you got them to use and how you managed to get them to use it
Trying to help a friend
MareeB
5244 posts
Hi Stunning_simplicity one of my sons had terrible acne. We tried almost everything unsuccessfully then after years he got Proactiv and that worked. It's my greatest regret that we didn't get Proactiv right from the start because he has a lot of scarring and the acne destroyed the very little confidence he had to start with. Also, drinking cider vinegar and honey with water every day and taking a good multivitamin with A, C, and E are both helpful, even taking high doses of C by itself will help heaps. It's expensive but she will never regret getting it sorted as fast as possible as the cost to them is very high having to face a very judgemental and appearance-based society every day with bad skin. I really really wish I'd done more as soon as it started.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
As someone who suffered from acne from the age of 11 until only a few years ago, I can not agree more with getting on top of it as soon as possible. The only thing that ever worked for me was Roaccutane which is the seriously heavy duty acne drug. I think because I'd had acne for so long, this was the only thing that could clear my system out. If the boys are at the stage where they have cystic acne and scarring, then I would recommend this before it damages their skin and self esteem. 
MareeB
5244 posts
I haven't heard of that before soozie, but my niece took medication so that may be what she took. I hope Stunning's friend finds a great solution quickly.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Make sure they're putting their pillowcases in the wash at least once a week. You can spritz dilute tea tree oil on them to make sure they won't aggravate things. Try various men's cleansers, scrubs etc. Teen boys will use beauty products if they say 'for men'. Tea tree oil and charcoal are king. Clean face cloths every day to wipe their faces, not the usual teen boy week-old-towel. Any unhealthy food will show on their faces so encourage healthier eating. Above all, focus on other things. Don't dwell on their skin in front of them and don't go crazy with remedies.  You want to set them up to feel confident, not to have constant reminders that their skin is bad.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I wish anyone with teenage boys luck in getting them to use skincare products.
swamphen
73 posts
Shower every day is rule which includes washing of the hair... also I add tea tree oil to their washing. Good luck..
Ringy
825 posts
if it's acne that's a problem - Mario Badescu has an acne body wash that very reasonably priced. My teenage daughter is terrible looking after her skin but recently o noticed it looking good and asked her what she was doing - wash she actually washing her face properly now etc! And she said she was just using the body wash all over (face included) and it's had great results. I did buy the matching d]face wash but that was obviously too much of an effort to use separately for her at this hectic time in her life watching YouTube etc!!! Lol. 
So update on the teenager! They managed to get him to use products, well over use products should i say :( it's pretty red mainly around his hair line and shoulders a bit too. So We had the skin food mud mask and the st ives blemish scrub. But he has been using it every night ! Which we think has been irritating it more with the other use. So we have suggested maybe to use the mask 2x a week (sat and wed) and the scrub couple times on different days ( mon and fri) but have a general clean and clear cleanser that he can use daily to just was his face.

Do you think it's a better way to do it or any other suggestion.

Thanks for the help ladies
RachLouise
218 posts
My nephew is going through this at the moment. We got him onto the products super early so I think that may have helped. Tea tree oil works wonders, drinking water to keep hydrated and diet matters too. Also a toner helps remove the oil and bacteria. Hope this helps
shazatron101
5112 posts
For a teen I would personally stop using St Ives and Clean and Clear or whatever it is - get something that's more natural and nicer to skin. Skinfood is a good brand, you said you already have him using the mask? Fantastic. The scrub and cleanser are amazing as well, and I highly recommend them. 

Also make sure he moisturizes his face after using the products and get an oil like jojoba or chia seed, as they're quite light, and put them on after moisturizing to hold in the moisture. 

Gentle reminders that you only need a small amount of scrub and to use it gently!!!! would be good too, we don't want him to scrub his face raw. 

Tea tree oil for spot treatments of acne, and I think all the other ladies have given you fantastic advice. Good luck!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
My son is about to hit thirteen on Saturday so this is an awesome thread as I have noticed he has just started to get wee break outs.

I used to use Simple when I was a teenager before things got rough with my skin and it was lovely and gentle so will get my son some from that range.

I did get an email today from Dermalogica regarding their teenage range, which I'm tempted to get. It was $30 (usually $65) which was a pretty good price I thought.  You can check it out here if you are interested in looking into this more :-)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!