Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Taking selfies of more subtle colours is hard! Tips please :)

13 posts, 9 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
I feel like I'm getting the hang of selfies to show off colour, but when colour is subtle it's so much harder. I'm not going to buy special lights or anything and maybe it's just my phone (or my face!) but what are your tips for taking pics that show off a more subtle colour?
Lutece
1849 posts
Hi Trudi! Subtle colours are tricky to capture :( When I take selfies I take them in the same places, infront of my sliding door or window depending on the weather and light. You can also use flash to capture your makeup.

Ive put a link to a helpful video HERE ( I love Chrisspy) I hope this helps beautiful x
Designer-mic
249 posts
I find it hard to even capture the colour. I sometimes take like 100 to get one goodie and even then I think gee wiz that colour doesnt look like it does in the mirror. :)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Natural light is my biggest tip. There's one spot in my house which is perfect for this!
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
If I have enough time I actually edit the colour back into them, but it's a pretty time consuming way of doing things. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks everyone! Lutece, i'll check that out once i'm off work time, thanks for the link!

I use natural light and angles to try and catch it and it's way easier with colours and slight filters but it's still not quite what the mirror shows me haha. I don't know if anyones really all that interested in seeing what makeup looks like on me anyway but i still like doing makeup selfies, so oh well haha
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
As some of the other ladies have mentioned I definitely recommend natural light. If you can do it on your phone or camera, I'd also recommend doing a white balance to make sure the colours are pure and as your eye sees them. To get more saturation in your photos you can also bump up the contrast and/or saturation using your phones editing software (assuming it has it), or even on Instagram. That's what I do when using photoshop for models that I've shot with my camera anyway, and it always seems to help.
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks Jessicka, i'll try those tips. I'll be tempted into a new phone in the new year anyway, I think.
Mila
1209 posts
I'm terrible at getting anything in a deluge I need lessons haha.... My best bet is in front of our spare bedroom window seems to throw the most light
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
Awwwww Mila your new picture is just gorgeous xx
Lutece
1849 posts
Oh and I forgot to add, apps are very helpful too! I use Pixlr for 80% of my photos, most times my photos dont pick up all of the lighting, so I use auto correct on there and it adds brightness to colours, deepens the contrast and highlights, its a life saver!
trudijoy
8375 posts
ooh might have to check that one out. Thanks babe x
Macs
5351 posts
Some awesome tips here. Im gonna try some of them. Most of my pics are in natural light. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!