Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Spend $7 on sweatpants and clothes, but more than $100 on foundation?

23 posts, 18 members
tannygirl
3392 posts
    I love beauty products and I spend most of my allowance after the bills are paid and food is on the table on beauty products.  My sweatpants are $7 ones from k-mart. My top is like $5. However my foundation is $105 from Bobbi Brown. Some of my family joke that the homeless almost dress better than me at times. I have been known to wear some outfit thread bare. My mom is sometimes tempted to "accidentally" lose certain articles of clothing in the laundry so I'll buy new ones. 
    To be fair I have done a lot of fix it jobs lately like varnishing and sanding and helping with home renovations so yep some clothes have gotten paint or varnish on them. At least sawdust washes out. However the way I dress doesn't really go with how I glam up. 
    I'll chill around the house in sweat pants or yoga pants but wearing eyeshadow from a $70 palette, an $105 foundation, the palette to powder my face was about $110, and the eyeliner, brow products, tools and lippies used just add to the cost, plus a spritz of expensive perfume. Now maybe if I was a gym instructor it would make sense, I'm getting dressed up for work. Actually no, I would have to dress better so I wouldn't be getting away with it. 
    Does anyone do this on a daily basis glam and bum out at the same time? Do you bum out on clothing so you can glam up your face?
MareeB
5241 posts
Eeeek! I've found my twin! yes I do Tannygirl. My most expensive purchases are usually perfumes, and some skin care, and my least expensive are clothes I've rummaged out of clearance sales at The Warehouse! I have no idea what prompts my behaviour but my friends think I'm mad !!
MareeB
5241 posts
I once bought a sweatshirt from Deka for $10 and wore it almost daily for 20 years. It really was threadbare and I got quite emotional when I eventually threw it out. I also had a hooded one that lasted almost as long, and my current one I bought from The Warehouse I've had for around 6 years - it's not even pilled after hundreds of washes can you believe???? I should be embarassed telling people, but I'm not really.
tannygirl
3392 posts
   Oh don't get me started on skincare, my main beauty weakness! Atm about over $150 collectively worth of serums graces my skin. Price goes up and down depending on what I'm using, some skincare is worth more than others at it's most expensive I was using almost twice ammount in just facial serums on my face. Luckily I didn't pay full price for those as I was really lucky to grab a bargain. I'm a big fan of layering and when you add up the cost of my cleansers, toner, moisturizer, eye serum, eye cream, etc. It would total several hundred. Luckily I have the sense to purchase when stuff is on sale or there's a good gwp but added up the collective retail value of what I have some people would be stunned that I spend that much and then wear shoes due for a replacement, pants or knickers with holes and tops with a lot of piling. 
    I justify it that at the end of the day my clothes aren't me but my skin is. I do have some nice outfits in my cupboard that are saved for when I need to dress nice. But I tend to bum out around the house on a daily basis and even run errands and walk to shops in sweatpants.
Macs
5351 posts
I have these blue trackpants I got from Kmart about two years ago for $2. My partner said to me that my pants need to be chucked out. I agreed unwillingly. Splurged on a $20 pair from Cotton on last week.  I always go for sales on clothes but very rarely for make up. I do miss my old faithful trackies but they did need to go. I can relate to spending more on products. 
-Bex-
611 posts
Yes I can relate! Yes skincare is my biggest weakness too I don't think I will say how much i spent a few weeks ago because it actually makes me sick thinking about it. My clothes are mostly glassons, just jeans, jeans west and a couple of Hazelmade pixie tops.. Nothing very extravagant I do however have a $500 jacket for the farm BUT I would probably never spend that much on a good jacket to wear out and I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid at spending that much on skincare or makeup 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I'll be in my 'at home clothes' and be full glam hahaha. Honestly I can't remember the last time I purchased myself clothing. Not so long ago I saved a little money to go shopping with a friend and I went and purchased my partner and the kids some clothing but decided I needed a Mac Lipstick over a winter coat lol greatest decision of my life!
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
I'm kind of half and half with clothes. Some items I don't mind spending a little more on (such as jeans), as I can't be bothered replacing them all the time and they tend to last longer. Most other clothing items though I always look for bargains as I hate spending money on clothes haha. I would be really hard pressed to spend $100 on a foundation but would do that on a collective haul or a palette (they're my weakness). In saying that though I did buy a dress ages ago that was $120 because it was unique and really well made so I'm likely to fork out more for something of good quality and that is different. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
   I think the last time I bought clothes was a couple months ago. I bought kids' thermals for less than the cost of the ones for adults. Mind you the ones for adults were like $10 but they didn't have the style and shade I wanted. So I saved $4 and got the kids' ones. Luckily I've got a small frame so can fit them. I remember a time when I was oversees and didn't like the price of the women's undershirts so shopped in the kid's section for them. They were simple singlets but like less then a tenth of the price of the women's ones. No one is going to see them so why splurge. Although my mom begs to differ when my underwear on the line drying. 
Macs
5351 posts
I've shopped in the kids section too tannygirl. There was a onesie that was $5 and I didn't wanna spend more on one. Yet if it was an eye shadow pallette Id completely splurge. But I wouldn't with a foundation. I dunno why Im a cheapskate with clothes. ps I miss Deka Maree
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I have expensive taste all round sadly. Lucky I am (mostly) a minimalist, super fussy and a bargain hunter.
I'm a cheapskate with clothes and sometimes makeup. Perfume on the other hand... no problem blowing $100 on a 50ml. I got another Shalimar flanker last week and it is AMAZING. I have another perfume coming in the mail soon.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I spend moderately on both. At the moment I'm going through a phase where I'm trying to buy only quality, so it will last longer. This particularly applies to clothes and shoes but I'm trying to just generally have better quality products. 
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I do however have a pair of $2 yoga pants from Kmart and they are the best yoga pants I've ever had.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
If it's some thing that I like, want and is tried and tested then sure no issue spending the dollars on make up or perfume. Clothes though have limits and I am not paying more than $30 for a top and $40 for jeans and that is including when shopping online. Pricer does not always mean better made or better fabric. My last clothes shop was about $250-300 including shipping and shipping was the same price for 1 or 8 so there was a few items in there.
Rezee
1964 posts
Yep, this is me. It's even worse now that I go to the gym though. I find I just wear my $10 leggings from the start of the day since it's just easier than getting changed later. Also one of my fave gym tops is a totally stretched out black longsleeve complete with holes in the bottoms of the sleeves. Said top was bought on clearance from Farmers for $10 quite a long time ago.  Do I wear this out? Yes. #totallylazy. Will I spend more on makeup? Yes! although lately, I haven't even been wearing makeup that often. I'm seriously gym obsessed so I just don't really have time or just don't see the point!
First Lady
957 posts
HAHA this thread is funny.

Mine is...wait until my perfect Glassons leggings are on 2 for $20 (because it saves me $5) even though I go through them like socks.  Doesn't question $250 for yet another woven wrap to wear Billy Bean.

Beauty purchases are always justified because of the job.  Thank goodness.

xox

2lilmnkys
106 posts
Iam the same. Iam a bargain hunter when it comes to clothes shopping. But I do spend a bit more on makeup. Sometimes I go to the corner store in my tracks but rock a full face of makeup (cue husband rolling eyes). Lol
Kimrose
1416 posts
I am a bit lucky as I get a staff discount on skincare and make up so that helps. With clothes I will wait until Farmers have their red dot sales, then I will grab black clothes for work. I do look out for sales for my weekend clothes.  I am on a major saving spree atm because we have our trip to the GC in july so I will definitely not be holding back!
Emily-jane
314 posts
@tannygirl. I pretty much do the same thing. I Hate spending lots on clothes and footwear (never had the urge to buy lots of shoes) but I love to spend heaps on skincare and make-up. Got to love a face full of make up while in trackies and trainers lol.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Some of my favourite gym clothes are cheapies from Kmart and the quality of the fabric is not bad either, better than some more expensive ones that I own!  

I usually spend between $20 - $35 on a foundation.  The most I've ever spent on a foundation is $50 but I think it's the same sentiment ... I do tend to spend more on beauty products and don't bat an eyelid, whereas I'll think twice about buying an "expensive" top for the same price! 
Lutece
1849 posts
Oh Tannygirl your thread made me giggle so much! Mostly because I am the same! I walk around with a cake face full of makeup and wear a tattered tshirt with leggings, there is a meme somewhere about that too hehe
trudijoy
8375 posts
i feel ya.

My current foundation was $72 I think but I love it a looooooot. I hate paying full price for things though... If i think i'm getting a good deal im much more likely to part with cash. My wardrobes full of cut price items.  A friend who is a fashion designer did make me think when she said that if I'm paying so little for things, what are the people who made them getting, though....  

I did just buy a leather-look wee biker jacket thing full price from Glassons that I think i'm happy with though... i went to the mall to buy a coffee and walked out with it.

I'm not afraid to spend on things but i love a bargain - and Nat, those Glassons tights are my jam too, love em

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!