Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Skin Type- please help!

9 posts, 5 members
PaigeC
194 posts
Okay so deciding on my skin type in order to select the right skincare products is proving far more difficult than I'd like it to be soooooo hopefully the beauty gurus out there can give me some advice.

What has prompted this tonight is I have decided to try out Oasis Beauty but I want the right products for my skin. I had a look through some of their descriptions of skin types (thinking I was 'Combination') but it still doesn't seem to fit??

Here is a run down of my skin right now...eek! Its going to sound terrible
-A couple of oily pimples on my cheeks
-Some smaller pimples across forehead and chin (ones on chin are really minor)
-Redness on chin and around nose
-Dryness around nose and on chin (some flaky skin even! bleh!)
-I don't really notice any patches of skin that are all that oily (other than the pimples on cheek but the area around them isn't oily)

Please help!

melly650
375 posts
I'm not a beauty guru but it sounds like you have sensitive to combination skin. My t-zone (nose, forehead) also breaks out and is a little oily, but I get red patches on my cheeks, etc (especially in winter). The redness is a sign of sensitivity! How I love thee internet, I even got you a little exerpt from Google:

"Many people are affected by the redness, dry skin, acne, sunburn, hives and other bumps and blemishes caused by sensitive skin."

If you say your skin isn't too oily, but you do have flaky patches and redness in that area, I'd say combination dry is a good bet.

But again, I am not a beauty guru! LOL... And I may be wrong, but I hope I helped you a little?

Why don't you go to a makeup counter, clinique or somewhere, they'd be able to tell you what type of skin you have? I think?
PaigeC
194 posts
You helped heaps! :) Thank you...for some reason I never thought of myself as having sensitive skin but now that you mention it (and backed it up with google even! :P), that does sound right.

Thanks you! :) *off to buy skincare products*
AliciaMarie
31 posts
At the end of the day it is a lot easier to get a professional to have a look at your skin to distinguish your skin type and condition as a lot of questions need to be answered....

By the sounds of it if you are dry and red and the areas of the blemishes are not oily and you dont have overly enlarged pore then you have a dry skin, which is very common for a kiwi skin because of our enviroment.

You may be thinking well what about the pimples.... A dry skin can still get ance, its not just an oily skin that suffers. It is just because of oil that bacteria can grow in so they are more proned to the blemishes. There are 2 main reasons that acne accure and it sounds like that you may be getting these pimples (that are small or average Im assuming) because your skin is to dry and these dry skin cells are what is trapping your oil in the pores that you do have and bacteria is getting in them and therefore you have a blemish

You need to have a good moisturiser so that these skin cells sluff off at a regular rate and also to exfoliate your skin once or maybe twice a week. Be sure not to over exfoliate as this can dry your skin out even more and your causing more of a problem.

This is just a general recommendation that I give to anyone. Like I said before I would be able to give a more indepth reason of why your skin is like it is if I was to see it in person. Its all about trail and error as well. 

I hope this is somewhat helpful to you :) x
PaigeC
194 posts
This has helped heaps, thanks for explaining to me how dry skin can trap oils in the pores, I never knew that
MissQT
1547 posts
Sounds like you do have combination skin which is also sensitive. Yours might be combination skin on the dry side maybe? I'm no skin care expert however, and the girls above have given some good advice, I have combination skin which is also really sensitive but on the oily side. I get a bit of redness too and used to get acne. Combination oily skin is where your T zone (forehead, cheeks and chin) are oily and are more prone to acne, but other areas of your skin are normal or dry. My forehead and cheeks get quite oily and shiny, but I get dry areas on my lower cheeks and sometimes around the nose. If after you clean and cleanse your face it doesn't feel dry and it wouldn't dry out if you didn't moisturise (even if you do moisturise every day, but say you didn't moisturise) your skin wouldn't feel dry till half way through the day, then your skin is more on the oily side. But if after you cleanse your skin feels tight and dry in areas and you feel you need to moisturise and hydrate your skin, then your skin is more on the dry side. Sorry not sure if this all makes senses? Does this sound like your skin at all?
PaigeC
194 posts
Thank you, yes I just noticed after I cleansed my face tonight that my skin felt very tight so moisture, here we come! :)
MissQT
1547 posts
Right, so you might have dry combination skin then?
chikoboo
3402 posts
Paigec your skin shouldn't feel tight after washing, what type of cleanser are you using as it sounds like its drying your skin out, you should look into getting one that hydrates as you wash, I can highly recommend dr woods black soap cleanser off of iherb, its super cheap, lasts a while (my bottle is 2 months and im only just reaching the bottom) and the best bit is where lots of others make my skin tight this one doesn't =)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!