Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Shampoo and Conditioner

17 posts, 15 members
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I normally buy a 'set' of shampoo and conditioner. Today I brought a different shampoo from the conditioner to try and target 2 different problem areas with my hair. And it got me thinking, are most people like me and like to match their shampoo and conditioner or do most people buy different ones for whatever reason?
trudijoy
8375 posts
My fave shampoo only recently got a matching conditioner and it's a solid, which I haven't tried yet. My second fave doesn't have a match at all. It doesn't worry me :) I tend to go for non-drying shampoo for colour treated hair and ultra-hydrating, volumnising confitner
tannygirl
3392 posts
I mix and match from the same brand. Although when it comes to deep conditioners and treatments for me it's normal to look at other brands, mainly because my default Ethique shampoo and conditioner bars don't have an easy in-shower deep conditioner. There used to be a little deep conditioner treatment bar but it was discontinued ages ago and it was messy and more of a hassle to melt to use. I currently have Weleda Oat Replenishing Treatment, Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm and the Schwarzkopf hair mask that I got in the Top Rated box in my drawer to choose from. 
MissQT
1547 posts
I don't often use matching shampoo and conditioner, as I like to use shampoo and conditioners that have different properties e.g anti dandruff shampoo and hydrating conditioner. I a, however using matching shampoo and conditioner at the moment as I got the set in an old BR beauty box a while back.
shazatron101
5112 posts
The only time I don't go matchy matchy is if it's Lush - as far as I know American Cream conditioner doesn't have a shampoo :/ but in saying that, using any Lush shampoo with that conditioner is amazing *heart eyes*
Rezee
1964 posts
I hardly ever use matching products. At the moment I am using a dove shampoo and a tigi conditioner.  I usually go through conditioner way quicker so even if I start off matching, I'll use the conditioner up first. I really like trying out new products rather than buying the same ones too. 
Macs
5351 posts
Normally I would buy matching shampoo and conditioner. If it's miss matched it's usually Shampoo bars or Shampoo.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
Interesting. I often go through my shampoo first, if I run out of one first. And I also like trying new products so I think I'm going to start trying a different product each time I need to replace my shampoo or conditioner. I'm also surprised some shampoos you can't or couldn't get a matching conditioner for.
Ringy
825 posts
I always try to match, but I just barked at the kids today because they have 1litre bottles in their shower and the conditioner is totally empty and the shampoo is half full! That's 500ml of shampoo and NO conditioner left. I'll purchase another Litre one for them to tide them over - but that's always the way - tones of shampoo left and no conditioner.  It feels weird using another's brand and even weirder just buying one bottle! Seems like such a no no.  
Kimrose
1416 posts
I always thought that matching products were tested and trialed to work together?  I do buy matching, however I am always open to new things
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I always use matching shampoos and conditioners (unless I run out of one early). I do mix and match hair masks though, I like to live on the edge hahaha 
Yes there are definitely some that are tested together. I read the back of a shampoo bottle recently that said the promised results would only be achieved if the shampoo, conditioner and hair treatment of this brand were used together.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I have heard that they like the shampoo and conditioner to work in conjunction with each other but they fail to take into account numerous factors I feel, co washing for myself being the major factor, time as sometimes there is just none and running around like a headless chicken isn't helping and sometimes your hair is just really dirty. When I am doing a hair mask I will skip the conditioner as well.
The bottles never go evenly as much as I try when matching.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I used to always buy matching till I coloured my hair. I then switched to buying what worked and that wasn't always matching. Now I've gone back to buying matching because they work for my hair currently :)
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I always have matching shampoo and conditioner. But I think it's more an ocd thing lol. Right now i am trying the new tresseme with macadamia oil and it smells divine and leaves my hair so soft.
Loons1965
I had undergone a hair smoothening procedure about two years ago and I had a severe hair loss after that. I am using the shampoo and conditioner prescribed by my hair stylist. Now due to severe hair loss, I am considering a hair transplant procedure from a clinic in Toronto . I am not sure whether I would be able to use the same shampoo and conditioner. Which type of shampoo is recommended after a hair transplant procedure?
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I do both - it just depends! I just finished a (non-matching) conditioner so am about tio start the one that matches my current shampoo.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!