Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Selfies - do you? Don't you?

31 posts, 25 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
Going back in time 5 (or even three!) years and I'd have thought you were crazy for suggesting I'd be taking selfies, let alone daily ones.

I started doing it for a few reasons - to check makeup/looks.  To share (and yes, part of that is because people compliment you). To get to know my good points....

You see, when I was depressed and coming out of the fog I didn't appreciate myself at all.  I was convinced there was nothing positive about my appearance.  It wasn't until I started taking selfies and looking after myself (which included losing weight, dressing better and playing with makeup) that I began to feel like there were actually some nice things about my looks.  While I was healing inside I also began to feel good about the outside.  Yes, people compliment you.  But for me that isn't about being complimented  It's about realising that other people see things in my face that I don't.  Nice things!

So why are selfies seen as being arrogant, vain, self-centred by people in our society?  Not 100% sure, but for me, they were part of the road to self acceptance and realising that I'm not compeltely heinous :)

Do you selfie?  Don't you?  Why?

xx
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Interesting way of thinking trudi. Before BR I NEVER took a selfie! I'd be in photos with friends and shutter.
Now I have my makeup IG page and do selfies most days. I actually look back on what I've done to see if my ways of doing things change or look ok and also to see how my skin looks with what I've done. It's not a secret it's been a hurdle. Now I have been shown about strobing and moisturisers, I can see which works on what kind of skin day I have.
I love chatting to people I follow and commenting on what I like and yes I do like when my followers comment or send chats through.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
No, I don't.  I'm not very photogenic so I really dislike having my photo taken and won't voluntarily take one of myself!
chikoboo
3402 posts
Ironically I hate having my photo taken but I don't mind doing a selfie? work that one out, I guess it is because I control it *control freak alert*

I use my selfie as a self heal for my inner voice who tells me everyday that 1) I'm not worth it 2) I don't deserve it 3) who you kidding and 4) just go back to sleep you troll

Looking back over what I have done to improve my skin and makeup techniques and learning to grow stronger, also I love showing off makeup and how I use it.  I'm not a showy look at me type person in RL but I find that a selfie lets me be it.   In regards to people's opinions on selfies, life's too short and there is far too many other greater crimes and terror in the world to worry about someone taking thousands of photos of themselves.  People have to remember that to each is their own and no one knows that other persons story. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
A few years ago in my teens I was forever taking them.
Now I only ever take a selfie to show my makeup I've done or if it's to get a picture of myself and the kids. I like looking back on my makeup ones to see what I have and haven't done :) I will admit it takes a good 20 or so camera clicks before I am comfortable with atleast one lol
Macs
5351 posts
I dont have many photos from my teens right up to my mid twenties. I really didn't like the camera. I always hid away in group situation. I will take selfies with or without make up. I have only really gotten into it in the last 4 years, more so in the last two years. I have my good days and bad days.
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
I have always been a selfie lover.  I hate having my photo taken when I am not in control of the angle or lighting so do the dip whenever someone wants a photo.  I do it about once a week usually for a few reasons......I like to change my display picture quite often because I can't stand the same routine for too long.  I do it because I can make myself appear 'good looking' in the pics where in real life yuck!  I do them because they capture a moment in time when I was happy and loved my makeup.  Weird reasons probably but there ya go :D
shazatron101
5112 posts
Lol Shana you are so not yuck in real life, I ought to smack you for saying such nonsense
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Lol changing the self hate of a life time with a smack? Oh if only Shannon!!  I would gladly accept :)
I think I have less than 10 selfies on my phone. I have a face that looks perfectly fine in mirrors then once I get to a camera, something will be off about my face. I have few insecurities about my looks but this is one of them.
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I'm not fond of them tbh preferring to be on the other end of the camera but I'm using them as a way to hopefully become more confident too. It's a process that's for sure :)
kirstyj
1732 posts
I love seeing other peoples selfies. But I'm never a fan of my own so hardly ever take them... I think I've only ever taken them for on here to be honest.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
ShanaBanana 84 I totally agree with what you said the first time & I totally get it. :) I don't think they're weird reasons either.
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
I selfie every day, mostly due to wanting to show make up, but I also definitely take them because when I get nice ones it really boosts my self confidence. The only thing I find somewhat annoying is when people post multiple selfies a day with captions saying "I'm so ugly" or whatever. That gets tiresome. 
MareeB
5239 posts
No, cos I don't like photos of me because of my weight and age. I love looking at other people though :)
Rezee
1964 posts
I do sometimes but I'm so freaking awkward in photos. Like I will be sitting there like a normal person and the instant I click the button, I pull some stupid eye or mouth thing.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Probably before BR I didn't take selfies either, I hated my photo being taken, something I've regretted with the kids growing up.  I'm usually the one taking the picture and never in them, which has saddened me.  Since joining BR I have become so much more confident, which you can see when you see selfies of me in a face mask lol.  Something I would never have dreamed of doing.  I do take selfies when the moment presents itself and maybe when I've done a full face of makeup, something I don't do much of, and like the finished result. I am so grateful for BR and for the lovelies that I have got to know on here, without you all, I wouldn't be as confident as I am today x
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
Eek no I struggle with selfies even seeing pictures of myself I'm like um erm eeek
 better things to look at than my face x
i do them when need must but not a favourite thing for me to do x

Julieal
915 posts
I hate having photos taken and am probably too old to understand why someone would want to take photo's of them selves all the time
krystaldream
60 posts
I absolutely love selfies. But the embarrassing thing about me is that I have a photo side, and I refuse to take photos from the other side. So all my photos on Facebook basically look the same! Haha. Does anyone else have a photo side? Or am I just being ridiculous? :D
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Haha you're totally not being ridiculous krystaldream!  I too have a photo side and angle.  It's usually my left side from up high.  Photo side or not you look beautiful :D 
Macs
5351 posts
Hey crystal, yeah I have a photo side too. I always tilt my head to try and catch the light lol sometimes it works and sometimes not usually my right
krystaldream
60 posts
Aww, thanks Shana :) Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a photo side. Need to get more comfortable with the other side of my face though, haha. It's getting a bit ridiculous when I always want to stand on the same side in photos! :P
Kellyleanne
551 posts
I enjoy looking at selfies of others, especially on the photowall but I'm not such a fan of taking them of myself lol. 
Head Pixie
569 posts
If I take a selfie it's usually front on or from the left side - because I once read that your left side is more photogenic. And mine is! That year I think every photo taken of me was from the left side, ha. Hmmm, I'd love to know if anyone else found their left sides more photogenic than their right? 
kirstyj
1732 posts
Funny Head Pixie about taking selfies from one side! I was scrolling through the Forum once and my partner looked over my shoulder and said does nobody take any pictures from straight on or without their head on a lean? And suddenly when I looked through hardly anyone does!!! Including me. I reckon everyone must think they look better on an angle of some sort.
First Lady
957 posts
Kirstyj...only front on if I have a strategically placed object or toddler in front of me!

Mine is from the 'other' side to my usual selfie side, as I had a right huge spot on my chin...I rarely get a breakout, but when I do get a spot it's mahoosive and will not be hidden.  But I just had to show off my hair.  

The struggle is real.

xox
MrsLissy
301 posts
I take selfies all the time. Usually for a reason like wanting to see a new makeup look I tried or getting a pic of me n my little guy together. I like taking selfies and like seeing other peoples ones too :D
trudijoy
8375 posts
kellie I have them from both sides and front on, but I don't like my face full on front-on or full profile haha. Sigh. Can't win
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I have taken a few naked face selfies straight on but only to check something that was said on youtube, like when I decided to check my eyelids for type after watching Wayne Goss one day. I wouldn't put them out for public display mainly because they would scare people.
AmyPearl777
11 posts
I never used to take selfies due to super low self confidence, and always used to duck away from photos in a group situation. It wasn't until a gentleman from a hair salon approached me and asked me to model for him out of the blue that I started gaining some confidence in my look.
2 years down the track and I'm now a signed model and comfortable in front of any camera.(not without a tonne of hard work learning which angles are most flattering how to pose etc, because I didn't naturally take good photographs.)

The biggest tip I have for anyone is to not be afraid of the camera - the moment you protest and pull your face back away from the camera you create a 'double chin' that just doesn't exist. Next time make a conscious effot to pull your head forwards just a touch towards the camera and it'll eliminate that fake double chin. Naughty camera. :P

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!