Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Self-tan - help please

7 posts, 5 members
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I bought a bottle of self-tan mousse last summer (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name here) and I used it often, absolutely loved it!  There is just over half the bottle left and I'm going to a function this weekend, so I thought I'd use it tonight.

Well, I shook the bottle well before use (according to the instructions) but when I went to pump the mousse onto my tanning mitt, all I got was a sputter of liquid and a bit of froth!  I shook the bottle some more and tried again ... still no mousse!  I thought the tube may have been blocked from lack of use over winter so I removed it and washed it in warm water until it was clear and there was no visible blockage and tried again.  Shook the bottle really well, pumped the dispenser and still no mousse, just a trickle of bubbly liquid, over and over again.

Has anyone else experienced this with a mousse?  Any suggestions on what to do to fix the bottle?  I have a back up can of spray tan than that I can use tomorrow if I can't get this working, but I really don't want to have to throw half a bottle of decent tanning mousse away!
Ringy
825 posts
Oh no. How annoying! Maybe it lost its gas? There must be something like that in it that makes the foaming action happen. Hope someone knows a sneaky fix for this.
MareeB
5239 posts
Oh that's annoying Silvene. Will you take it back to the shop?
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
This happened with my tanning mousse too. I found that for me it worked pretty much the same as a liquid as it did as a mousse. But perhaps test yours still looks alright as a liquid before you wear it out. Hope that helps :)
RamblingRose
1280 posts
The liquid in the bottle still looks the same, so I've applied some with the mitt. Using it as a liquid instead of a mousse is a bit messier so I'm going to try rinsing the nozzle again tomorrow.  

I can't take it back to the store as there was nothing wrong with it when I first purchased it a year ago and it worked fine all through Oct 2014 - April 2015.  It's just been sitting for 5 months in the cupboard without being used.  If I can't find a solution and get the pump to work properly, I may have to decant the liquid into a spritzer bottle and just spray it onto my mitt before using it.
Jesse
745 posts
It sounds like it may be past it's shelf life, which beauty products do have. I found this article which mentions that self tan has an effective shelf life of 12 months which makes sense and would explain why yours is deflated. I guess it's like mascara having a 3-month shelf life, a lot of people happily use past this time but it isn't suprising when the product doesn't perform as well.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thanks, Jesse.  I figured that it might have been past its expiry date after I'd applied some last night and realised the smell wasn't right once it had dried.   I washed it off straight away (before going to bed) and tossed the bottle because I can't remember exactly when last year I bought it.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!