Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Reviewing products from the BR Beauty Box - A question of etiquette?

21 posts, 18 members
NickyNoo
18 posts
Hello lovelies,

I'm looking forward to getting my review on over the next few weeks as I work my way through the contents of my fabulous Beauty Box!

I've been keeping an eye on a few of the products in there already, and I've spotted the odd review from ladies who mention they've received it in their box. So, given we're keeping things pretty hush hush around here on the forums out of respect for those of us who have insane willpower and are keeping their box for Christmas, how does the etiquette here work?

On the one hand, my initial reaction when I saw those reviews was to think it was a bit naughty for that very reason. But since then, I've been thinking about it and I can think of at least two products in the box that look like they're going to be fab products but maybe not right for me. With that in mind, I realised that mentioning that I got them in the Beauty Box is going to go a long way towards explaining why I rate and review the products the way I do, and why I have them in the first place considering I can already tell they're probably not going to be right for me. So now I'm just confused!

What do we think, ladies? Is it OK to mention, or do we be more careful to keep the surprise? One way to do the latter and still be able to have a caveat on the review could be to simply say "I got this product to trial" and just go back to edit it after Christmas - I'm thinking that's what I'll do, anyway, but I'd love hear your opinions!

xx
tabykitten
186 posts
Maybe you could say something like 'I got this product as part of a package'? That way it's clear it isn't something that you selected, but it's not obvious that it's from the Beauty Box? It's great that you're thinking like this -very considerate :)

I've been avoiding BR because I hadn't gotten my box (got it last night - had some issues with the courier but it's here now - hooray!) It's so incredible to see that you guys haven't been posting spoilers! What a great community this is. 
100_percent_ash
488 posts
I'm holding off until after Christmas to review for this reason. I'm itching to rave though. I'm already super tempted to purchase one thing already, project pan be dammed. It's actually one of samples (the first step of the blister pack) it's amazing but shhh I've already said too much!
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm the same - will review the lot, but not until after xmas. It's only fair ;)
chikoboo
3402 posts
How can you review a product out of the box already we only got them this week? Lol .  I won't be reviewing anything until I have been able to give it a good trial first, maybe point racking or they might have used it before
Qweenkaren
313 posts
I agree, I won't be reviewing any of the products until after Xmas, gives time for everyone to open theirs, but more importantly gives the product a really good chance to see what it can do. Although I'm already in love with a couple of products & my man is admiring one of the products I'm using too ;)
Mrs_rain85
437 posts
That's what I was thinking too? How can you be reviewing the product's already?? 

Your meant to use It for longer than a few day's. Just saying
trudijoy
8375 posts
There are a couple of products that you'd only need to use once before you knew, but usually I give things at least a week of regular use before I even decide what I think!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I agree with Chikoboo, and I am going to hold off till I have used them for at least 2 weeks.
I opened my pack up as I couldn't wait to see what was in it and now I am going to rewrap it and put it under the tree so I can force myself to use the open products that I have rather than wasting them and so I can review both the ones I am currently using and the new ones properly. I have at least 6 reviews to write not including what is in the beauty box so it is an incentive for me to finish those first.
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I am definetely holding of reviewing them until Christmas as I feel you need to be using them a lot longer to get a good feel for the product.
skingeek
537 posts
As a general rule, I try to use something about 2-4 weeks depending on what it us before reviewing it. I think reviewing the box now is not giving the products enough time. Reviews are only helpful if there has been some time and thought put in.
Macs
5351 posts
Chikoboo has a good point. Ive reviewed one. I will update in late next week sometime. Ive been slowly sifting through all my reviews. I havent mentioned any items in the forum to try not to spoil it. After xmas sounds like a good idea ladies.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Yeah im the same! I try to use a product for a good two weeks to a month.. depending on what it is! That gives me time to actually understand the product, and write an in-depth review that others will find helpful!! 
SandieNZ
424 posts
Totally agree chikoboo - not sure how you could review something and give an in-depth, honest answer if you've only used it for such a short length of time?  I guess there are some things that you would know straight off the bat, but with others you wouldn't know if they did what they said they would?
SandieNZ
424 posts
Oh, and ash_bandicoot - agreed!!!  LOVED that first blister pack, off to get a fullsized today :)
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I'm with you ladies how can you review something after a day or two? I do like to try a product for at least two weeks or more. Why say you got it in the beauty box. It's not a beauty box review! Maybe that would be added down the track.  Just saying 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I agree with you ladies, I was a bit disappointed when I saw a review of one of the skincare products 2 days after receiving the box. I personally don't feel like you are giving a valuable review if you haven't given the product a chance to be used more than once or twice. Numerous people will read the review, and take it at face value, when your opinion of the product could 100% change a week later.

It is good to know that most of us will be giving the products a fair chance though :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
I wonder if maybe people are thinking that it's like when you are sent a trial by BR and have a timeline for review?
Ive reviewed something from the box already - I used it for a week and simply had no desire to continue using it so went and placed my review, it was a haircare product and products of that nature in the past ive only needed to use a few times to notice a result and this one just didnt do anything for me and I also hated the smell and so didnt wish to use it anymore!

I do agree that things like skincare do need to be given a bit longer before you'll see a difference but things like lippys etc only need a couple of wears before you can fairly judge them.
ChristieMJ
358 posts
I've reviewed one of the products which really didn't work for me and I knew that after a few tries. Definitely agree that most products in there however will need at least a week!
shazatron101
5112 posts
I think there are some things you can review straight away from the box. If it's that time of the month theres definitely one in there you can do hahaha ;-)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!