Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Review updates

37 posts, 30 members
Lutece
1849 posts
Has anyone's views changed since they've written a review?
i will be going through mine this weekend as I have a few extra notes to add on to my ole reviews and even re writing a few of my old reviews :)
MicheleC
419 posts
I have certainly done that before, changed a review to reflect my current thoughts. It is a fair and reasonable thing to do. Things can get better or worse over time so letting other know that is good for the reader.
Macs
5351 posts
Thats a good idea. I can see some spelling errors in my reviews even how Ive laid the structure out on some. Is it it possible to edit them?
Lutece
1849 posts
Mishi your absolutely right! 
Macs you can if you click on the products in your profile page, once you do that it will already bring up what you've written and you can edit away! Loving your new profile pic :)
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Absolutely. I'm thinking of starting to write a first impression review and then updating it a week or 2 later with a better, in depth review. I will be specifying whether or not my reviews are first impressions and I hope people will like it. 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Yes! I often get really over excited about a new product and wroe a review after about a week or so. But then after a while I'll start to realize that some weren't as amazing as they seemed once the novelty wore off. Gonna go read over my old reviews too
MrsLissy
301 posts
I have rewritten a fair few of my reviews. I think it's good to look over them again every now and then just to make sure it's still an accurate reflection of what you think. 
raniwelsh
104 posts
I think its fine to update them, for me there has been a few product that I have reviewed, and hated...then found out I was using product wrong so tried it again and LOVED the results! So Im all for updates!
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
I've been thinking along the same lines lately! I think it would be awesome if you had a reminder pop up, say 3months after you post your initial review, asking if your thoughts on the product have changed. It'd then have a little 'update' tab appear at the bottom of your review, similar to the 'tips' display, because as you say, we can often change our mind once the novelty has worn off. Hopefully something is in the works! :)
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Absolutely! I also try making them a bit more informative. When I started they weren't that awesome. Now I'm quite happy with most of them
Rezee
1964 posts
Yes definitely. I've changed a lot of my reviews as I've gone on to use more product etc. Also my starting reviews were pretty shite so I've changed most of them. I do still have more to do though!
I've also had a couple of products that I hated but then found a different way to use and quite liked the product. Now I try to use the product for a while until I do a review so that I can give a better opinion on it.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Yes I'm still doing this now lol, I been getting quite fed up reading silly 2 line sub par reviews of things I am wanting to buy to see if I need to get them and have given thumbs down and reported a few during evil mood time.  So I'm making it my mission with all my newer reviews improving to get back to the start and update the old ones, as I can't be judging others if I don't think my own are perfect...or near anyway =)
melly650
375 posts
I also edit mine if I find they've changed... And if I purchased another shade in them ie lippys
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I go through mine aswell and change then! I tend to look through them about once a month. I have to say, my initial reviews when i first started writing for Beauty Review have been edited so much just because they were so brief! The ones i write these days are more like mini essays haha
tannygirl
3392 posts
I've never been asked to rewrite a review but I probably should read some of my older reviews and see if I still feel the same way about some products as I try more products the level of awesomeness of something can drop in comparison to something else.
StayClassy-xo
240 posts
Yeah I think this is a really important point!  My reviews are all still quite recent but I do plan on reviewing them every now and then to make any edits or improve them further :).  And like tannygirl pointed out, reviews are all relative to your products at the time.
Kia
550 posts
Oh totally yes! Although not too often! But a couple times I've been hasty and written a review having only used it for a week, and then on the second or third week, I see something totally different happen to my skin or hair, and I have to go back and fix it! 
Julieal
915 posts
I struggled to write  review to start and did not put enough information in so was declined twice.This was good because it made me rethink why I was writing the review and look at it from another person's perspective.I try to write notes as I use the product now and at the end of the trial I have more information when I finally write the review so feel I give a fair opinion.I would add comments if I thought the product changed my opinion after a certain time as this helps other members.
Julieal
915 posts
sorry clicked twice
vintage_ink
42 posts
Yeah sometimes lol, I will update my reviews especially if I'm finding the product working better etc :)
MissyLiss
28 posts
Yeah I just changed a review about a Salon to reflect how I feel now (given my original review was over a year ago). I think it's a good idea to review your reviews because things do change.
Marcel
335 posts
Far out all this time I didn't know you could edit reviews.. Guess I should do some of my earlier ones too as when I first started with BR I didn't realize how great it was and began taking it more seriously as time went on.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Yup I have done that before! Especially if it's a colour product and I get more of the range.
NickyNoo
18 posts
Yep, I've edited one where I just noticed more things about a product the more I used it. 

Two of the reviews I've written in the last couple of days have been products I wouldn't recommend - a brush set and a mascara. The brush set I don't recommend because they started wearing, shedding, and going out of shape after a few months of use, whereas I thought they were great when I got them so I would have written a totally different review in the first month or two if I'd been on BR back then! The mascara was the same, though not to quite that extent - it was pretty meh all around, but became awful, gluggy and clumpy around week 2, so it would have gone from around a 3 to a 1 if I'd reviewed it right away! So both of those definitely would have needed updates! 

Saird, that is an awesome idea! I wonder how hard it would be to integrate something into the system that just automatically pops a message in your inbox a few months later? It would probably need to be able to group reviews together, though, in blocks of a week, fortnight or month maybe? Otherwise the champs who do lots of reviews would be constantly spammed by reminders.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Having gone through, checked my reviews and resubmitted where appropriate recently, updates are important.

Especially if you have trialled something for Beauty Review, eg the Garnier bb cream trial, we had to have our reviews in within a week but some of the results would not show for about a month, so after my original review I dated the update and put the new information below for people to check moving forward as well.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I did an e-mail to rewrite some of my early reviews yesterday. I looked over them and they needed more description and some had grammatical errors in them. First I've ever gotten asked to rewrite my reviews, but since I have gotten better at writing reviews I was easier to bring those substandard ones up to par. There was definitely room for improvement there.
trudijoy
8375 posts
I FINALLY got around to my rewrites (after getting a couple of moderations) and holy cr*p some of my earlier reviews were so SHORT!! I am much happier now with them!  Amazing that you can pinpoint the point in my BR 'life'  where I got it and started to really go for it haha.

Side note - am I the only one who actually liked getting moderated?  I find it means a few things:

- BR are reading these and so if they're reading mine, they are reading everyones, and the quality will only keep on improving if that happens!
- They're right.  I didn't write enough, or I ws too flippant and didn't bear the brand in mind, or something.  Whatever is wrong with them, BR are right, and I can see the issue.
- it makes me feel like a vault must be coming!
- it challenges me, in a non-threatening way, to keep bettering myself...I see this as a hobby and you always want to improve there!  I have no excuse for lazy reviews, I'm a teacher and I write hundreds of reports a year, so I appreciate the feedback!
Cesy
162 posts
Yes, and I need to go and update/improve more of mine. Trudiijoy, totally agree that being moderated is a great thing and mean the quality of the reviews just keeps improving.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Trudiijoy, No you are not the only one. I like knowing that there is someone to stop me from running my mouth on occasions that I have no filter on.
That being said the fact that we an go back and edit does mean I can self moderate at times as well.
simone94
191 posts
I need to go back and edit and add more content to some of mine, while I may have liked the product at the time I also have better alternatives at the moment.
Macs
5351 posts
Funny you mentioned this because today I just went back to edit some reviews. I'm doing a huge clean up. If I add a review, I must edit a past review. Thats my new little goal for myself.
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
well I just read my very my first review, it's not an amazing novel but I cover the basics and explanes how I felt about it and I still feel the same about it. And I suppose I could add some wow but I'm sure if someone wants to know about it they could ask. I've never been asked in the comments anything about a product yet.  X
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
This reminds me I definitely need to go through my old reviews and update them. 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Yesss! I've been thinking I need to go back and update previous reviews for the longest time, but it's finding the time. Editing a previous review when posting a new review seems like a do-able way to tackle it though, thanks Macs!
AmandaJane
1147 posts
I'm just about to edit a review for the ZA cleanser, toner and moisturiser I trialled. It's really very good and has significantly improved my skin in only three or so weeks. I think an edited review with the

Update:

would be a good way to go :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
good idea macs!  pomkiwi, which ZA range?  I'm in love with ZA atm.
nemesisroxx
506 posts
Yep I have quite a few reviews I have changed/updated because how I felt about a product had changed. That's a really good idea Macs! I think I'll adopt that too. I have a lot of reviews I am not happy with (mostly from my early BR days) that I have to update.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!