Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

rejoining the real world post illness. . . (BR or NBR)

11 posts, 9 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
so i've had a yuck week.

On Monday I thought I might be coming down with strep because my throat was swollen. Tuesday I threw all the meds I could think of at it, and got through the day. Weds I started my day and knew by 9am i wasn't going to make it, so I clocked off at lunch and spent the rest of weds and all day thursday asleep, waking for no more than an hour at a time for food, bathroom, and then fell asleep again reading/watching tv. Today i'm a bit weak and shaky but have logged into work and seem okay.

My question is....

I always feel like the walking dead post-illness. I'm sure we all do. My skins pale, i look almost bruised under the eyes, and i can easily see that i've been sick. but my hair looks and feels fabulous for some reason.

What are your tried and true 'i was sick but now i'm not' pick me ups?
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I feel ya, I've been having a similar week. I find after being sick for days, dressing up can make me feel more human and like myself again. Other than that, my main highlight is being able to use my full vocal range again :p
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
Aw that sucks! At least you're feeling better now. My pick me up is probably wearing some bright and cheerful clothes and accessories. And a good workout or sauna to get that sweat flowing can help me feel a bit more alive as well.
trudijoy
8375 posts
bright things def work i think! i popped out at lunch and got a strong latte, fresh flowers and some of the new whittakers chocolate to try.

I think actually showering, putting on makeup and (sort of) doing my hair helped me get more in the zone. just gotta get through a couple more hours :)
alikat
423 posts
I'm in a similar boat this week. The one thing I was looking forward to the most when I got home yesterday from an unexpected overnighter in hospital was my own shower and just washing my hair. 

And yes to flowers! I got sent a bunch and they really have brightened my day. I guess just knowing that someone cares enough. If I didnt have parrots, i'd burn some melts or oils.

When I'm back at work next week, I'll rock something bright to try and break out of my introvert rutt and back into my usual loud self. But even the simple act of just doing my hair today has been good for the soul. Even if I'm still rocking the jammies on the couch in front of netflix.

triffid
151 posts
Sorry you were sick.Best advice is drink plenty,have homemade chicken soup with lots of garlic.Rest or at least put your feet up when you can.If its warm a quiet walk in the fresh air is good for anyone.Sunshine on your face or even your arms if its warm enough is good to raise your immunity and give you some colour too
Macs
5351 posts
Strep throat seems to be going around. My partner has had to take a week off work for it. Hope you become well soon. I've been so lucky not to be sick this season.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Perhaps a night of pampering. A glass ermmmm bottle of wine lol. Favourite movie and favourite food. Light some candles. I also agree fresh flowers are amazing!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Sorry to hear you've not been well hun, hugs and get better soon xx

Ummm I guess for me, just getting back to any normality is a pick me - usually a nice hot shower or bath, a hot coffee, small piece of buttered toast and my favourite music.  But sadly when I'm sick and having kids (as a lot of us do), it doesn't usually work that way ha ha ha.

I don't usually get sick-sick luckily, more a bad cold or cough, but am up doing the washing etc.  Maybe when they get older it will be my munchkins turn to look after me he he he.
MissQT
1547 posts
I agree with the shower. It wakes you up and helps you to feel refreshed. If you're a bit congested the steam helps with that too.
trudijoy
8375 posts
thanks for the love <3 I'm actually a bit out of practice at being properly sick - now that i'm not teaching I don't get exposed to bugs in the same way so I get sick less

I was feeling a bit better yesterday so went shopping for an hour or so and got a manicure, picked up some groceries and came home, but woke up to a second wave of congestion and yuckiness so took the day off the real world and stayed in bed reading and sleeping.

I now feel better enough for a tried and true combo of yummy food (cheese, ham and pesto on ciabatta, kapiti raspberry and white choc icecream and maybe a wee glass of red) with SATC on the telly and an early night.

In the meantime, the shower, manicure and a few other things helped loads but ultimately i think the big win was listening to my body and taking the extra rest. I WANTED to go and get a coffee and be down the beach but thought staying warm and not pushing myself would be smarter

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!