Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

56 posts, 36 members
Macs
5351 posts
Hi ladies, have you ever purchased something you regret buying?
shazatron101
5112 posts
Yes! Mostly shampoo and conditioner and facewash though, as I can usually tell after the first use if it'll be good for me or not. I did buy some foundation from a perfume sale, and I regretted that as it had separated and I hadn't realized until I got it home - and I bought 2 bottles of the crap! 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I'm kind of regretting the Garnier micellar water. I didn't need it when I bought it (I just really wanted to try it) and it really isn't doing it for me. It only has a 6 month shelf life too so I don't know how I'm going to get through it.
Qweenkaren
313 posts
Use the Garnier Water as a makeup brush cleaner - it's really good! Im in the same boat as you, bought it, dont really need it, probably wont buy it again... and then I decided to see how it went cleaning my brushes... awesome!!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Ha yes. Usually something expensive. What about you Macs?
Marcel
335 posts
Not really, If I buy something that I don't enjoy I can usually pass it on to someone who will. The only time I regret making a purchase is on the odd occasion where the customer service is terrible. Great customer service and care is something that I value highly, I get really annoyed If I don't get it and won't buy rom that company again no matter how happy I might be with the product in the end.
shazatron101
5112 posts
It only has 6 months?? Jeez Louise I only wear make up like twice a week if I'm lucky, I'd never get through it all haha 
hahah  yes!  For me Shampoo/Conditioner.  Or if I find a 'bargain product' so buy more than one.  Then realise why it was price slashed to start with.
Macs
5351 posts
Ok I confess I have purchase regrets ladies. Lol how I know because their the products that just sit there never getting used. Ok to name a few hair sprays, lipsticks, perfumes (the worst ones because they cost me a bit of money), facial cleansers. The list goes on.. so I end up passing them on. I want to buy high end, but I'm scared I will regret it. Like the Too Faced Chocolate Bar or Urban Decay Pallette.
chikoboo
3402 posts
I have had many buyer remorse over certain products, particularly ones that have had such high hopes due to hype and price.  Macs I wouldn't worry about the Too Faced Chocolate Bar or Urban Decay palettes from disappointing you, I highly doubt they will especially the Chocolate bar one, its like a special treat just applying it with its cocoa scent. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Thianks for tip Qween Karen. I also bought the Bossy brush cleaning set at the same time! (which I don't regret). Yeap, Shazatron, according to the little symbol its only six months although I reckon it would last longer. I only use it when I don't wear makeup as I find my usual cleanser and a hot cloth much more effective. I have to use a lot of cotton pads to get my makeup of with the micellar.
astylecollector
204 posts
I'm in the same boat with the Garnier Micellar Water. Everyone was raving about it so I wanted to try it and it doesn't work well on me and even broke me out. I think it's a waste since I have to use 3-4 cotton pads to remove my makeup even if I didn't wear too much. I think my usual face wipes work better. 

I also regret buying the Revlon Moisture Stain. I got 2 colours and it is a horrible formula. I will never wear that out.
Macs
5351 posts
I might wear make up  about up to 3 to four times a week shazatron. Thats alot for me as I only used to wear it on ocassion. I think I'm wearing it more and more. From what I see from fellow BR members it definately looks really good @ chikoboo.
ChristineHoll
152 posts
I have a face wash in the shower that I regret buying but I'm too stubborn to give up on it! I keep telling my husband he's allowed to use as much of it as he wants but he's not really a face wash kind of guy unfortunately.
tannygirl
3392 posts
I buy regret sometimes, I regret getting sucked in to Proactiv ads and buying Proactiv which was costly and did nothing for my skin. I regret buying expensive pillows off the TV channel. I regret spending several hundred dollars on Antipodes Apostle serum since I used it for over half a year and didn't get any results. I don't buy much makeup and I do research on my beauty products especially the pricey high end ones so that I can minimise the number of regrets.
nemesisroxx
506 posts
I have. I actually do it all the time... I'm quite impulsive and that is not a good thing when you arent rolling in the benijs so to speak. I regret buying the whole proactive system just so I could get the brush. I regret buying every beauty product I have brought that doesn't live up to the hype or my expectations too
Baylee3180
16 posts
Ugh yes, 100% regret buying L'Oreal Skin Perfection Serum. It smelled awful and irritated my skin, as well as costing $20 +.
Rezee
1964 posts
I cant really think of specific product regrets but 1 thing I do often ends up annoying me. I might be lusting after a highend palette for example but I tell myself its too much money to spend on 1 item. I then end up buying a whole bunch of cheaper products for probably the same  price and then when I think about it later, I know I would have been happier with the 1 expensive item!
Macs
5351 posts
If I could have tried that Proactive I probably would of too. Oh no for antipodes I thought they might work. I was very tempted to by many products that you all have mentioned.
Chaotic82
522 posts
I try to do a lot of research before I buy to avoid having regrets.  The only things I have kind of regretted buying is the Lime Crime lipstick and velvetine I got, but I sold them on to someone that looks great in them.  So that's awesome :)
Jesse
745 posts
I also regret the Proactiv skincare range, so damaging! Otherwise things like mascara, which you can't pass on if you don't like! I've tried several types that I'd try a couple of times and then never use. 
Danni
324 posts
Proactive, Cetaphil and fit me blush
AmandaJane
1147 posts
Proactive did well evidently, what a rip off from what I've read here.

I regret buying some stuff. I brought an Elizabeth Arden blusher then decided to switch to organic or natural. It was half price but even then I wondered why I brought it because I don't wear peach coloured makeup normally. 

I've brought quite a bit of stuff lately though and haven't used it yet because I wanna take some nice photos for the wall here and I'm waiting on a new camera. Should happen this week though hopefully. I guess I'll find out then. I did buy some bee venom cream when it was on special but took it back and changed it for something else the next day because I regretted it.
kirstyj
1732 posts
Agreed on the Garnier water... I swear it broke me out, then anywear broken out it wouldn't let heal at all! I'm going to have to update my review for it. I have used Bioderma previously for over a year with no problems.... Good idea on using it for brush cleaner though. I might try that tonight.
MareeB
5239 posts
Yep, some eye liner and lip pencils - the blue eue liner was a total  loser. And the $250 Opium of course!
trudijoy
8375 posts
to do with makeup and beauty...can't think of anything apart from cheap impulse buys that turn out to be crappy.

Everything else... I bought a minidisc player in Macau in 2002 because I was like woohoo, I'll use it here (was living in Japan at the time) then go home and they'll just be starting to come in and I'll have gotten a bargain. They were never released here, no one in NZ knew what it was, I couldn't get blanks, and I ended up throwing it out because I couldn't even get rid of it on trademe.
Macs
5351 posts
Interesting seeing everyones regrets.
100_percent_ash
488 posts
I regret nothing! Mwahahahaahahahahahah
ragingfrog
1289 posts
If I listed all my regrets we would be here for the next week, but the shortened list for some beauty ones only  
- the shampoo and conditioner that made my head itch like mad from the first use
- not tying my hair up while on the bus (I got nits from the bus seats ewwwww)
- wrong coloured foundation (I had no shame back in the day)
- using bright red lipstick as eyeliner
- the frosted hair that a hairdresser gave me, He sent me grey!! (I have never taken a hairdresser referral from the friend that sent me to this one since either)

Koni
444 posts
Absolutely Macs!

I always do research before I purchase but I can still end up with "what-the-heck" products.  I regret:
1. Hourglass Nude Stylo Lip Crayon (suits fair skinned beauties more)
2. Dose of Colors lipgloss (entire collection AND I read so many reviews before purchasing)
3. Makeup Geek Blush in Smitten

Having said that I am still trying to make them work for me today haha.

Great tip for Garnier Micellar Water; might give it a go even though I personally love it it doesn't hurt to try it on my brushes too.

Maree I have not forgotten about your $250 Opium perfume haha.

ChristieMJ
358 posts
Countless products! Most of my lipsticks (I'm just not a lipstick kinda person, and I have hundreds!), hourglass ambient lighting palette, lots of shampoos and conditioners, bourjois foundation etc etc. I could be here all day!

Interesting to read that you didn't like the Dose of Colours stuff Koni, I was so close to purchasing some!! Also, what didn't you like about the MUG blush?? Was it the formula or just that specific colour? MUG products are another that I'm on the border about buying
Koni
444 posts
Hi Christie :-)

I'm actually hoping someone else will review DoC lipgloss on BR so I can see how they make it work for them but so far it just requires too much work to make them stay on the lips.  Definitely beautiful colours but I feel I need to sport a full face of makeup in order not to look like weirdo with a bold glossy fuschia lip.

MUG blush in Smitten has a beautiful formula but the colour doesn't show up too well on my skintone.  For reference I am MAC NC42-44 / Revlon Nearly Naked Toast and I have to pack on the colour which I don't mind but after 2 hours I notice that it fades on me. I do like their other blushes though -Romance and Summer Fling.

Hope that helps :-)
1139 posts
Surprisingly I can't think of anything! Usually I research products very thoroughly before I purchase.  

Koni - I've used the MUG blush you sent me quite a few times and the formula and colour are gorgeous! It's a shame that Smitten doesn't work for you but even if you looked at swatches beforehand, you never know these things until you actually try it on your face, right?
Koni
444 posts
Very true Ellie, they all look a dream online but the true test is actually trying it yourself. Super stoked you like the blush :-) No regrets?! My giddy aunt you're good!
Macs
5351 posts
Firstly Koni I love your profile pic. Very pretty. Dose of Colours, I was curious about that one too. I'll have to read the reviews on that one. I have a couple of lippys too, thats not being used @ ChristieMJ. Your neat not having any regrets ashbandicoot
shazatron101
5112 posts
I recently bought some Hurraw lipbalms, and I don't regret buying them, but I do regret the fact that I had it on a massive pedastal before even trying it. Does not live up to the hype in my opinion :\
Macs
5351 posts
Oh Shaz! I was really wanting to buy those Hurraw lip balms too, because they have been talked up on Instagram, Facebook etc.
shazatron101
5112 posts
That's exactly why I bought them too Macs! But sadly they don't live up to whatever expectations I had for them and I'm really disappointed in them. Oh well. You have to do these things to find out if you like them or not!
RachLouise
218 posts
Yes I have. Ive regretted buying certain foundation that ended up looking so crappy on my skin by the end if the day.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I regret so many things i have brought, but mostly items i brought before i really understood makeup, such as things that suited my skinetone, and finishes that i did and did not like!  I have to admit, i still regret some things i buy, mostly for the fact that im a sucker for a good bargain, and that combined with online shopping.. enough said!
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Great thread! 

I usually try try to research something before I buy it but even when I have researched items there are a few that come to mind when I say I regret buying them.

The first is Garnier Micellar water - don't shoot me. I personally don't see what is so amazing about this - it does remove my makeup but not in one go. I don't wear piles and piles of makeup so I was surprised and disappointed when I first got this as I had to cleanse a few times to fully remove all my makeup (eye makeup in particular). 

The second thing I really regret is buying a purple hair dye from Manic Panic. Prior to buying it I looked online and read heaps of reviews, most of which were positive and assured me that it would dye my bleached hair blue. For some reason, however, the pigment in the dye didn't stick to my hair at all - despite leaving it on for hours to 'cook'. After finishing my dyed hair out it wasn't purple at all and I was really annoyed because it was kind of expensive. It didn't damage my hair though so that's a plus!

Lastly something I'm semi regretting is my Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette. Im kind of cheating because my boyfriend bought it for me but I chose it. I'm scared to write this hahaha! When I first got it I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Whilst I do still like it, I hardly use it anymore as I prefer the formula of Lorac shadows over the ones in that palette. It is still a great palette and I would still recommend it but it isn't one that I would repurchase.
ree_nz
247 posts
Have to agree with the Garnier Micellar Water! I find that it doesn't remove all of my makeup (even if I 'scrub' with it) and I don't wear heavy makeup. I also find it stings when I get it in my eye (and makes my eyes quite itchy). 

Yet for some reason I keep using it in the hopes it will one day work...
Koni
444 posts
Shock horror the beloved Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette made the list Jess!? Haha I don't own it but you would be the first I've read to "semi regret" it :-)

Ree you brought up a good point "the hopes that it may one day work"- I fall into that group especially if I've researched the crap out of it! I will exhaust all options until I know for sure that yep the product is not for me.

Thank you Macs :-) xx
shazatron101
5112 posts
I wish I owned a proper nice eyeshadow palette to complain about hahahahaha
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
br koni I know right?! I feel bad saying it because it IS. A nice palette, it just isn't one I really reach for that much anymore :S
Macs
5351 posts
Interesting Feedback Jess. Yeah quite a few peopld been let down by the Micellar water. Im so scared of buying too faced, urban decay or lorac. Their probably the most expensive eye pallettes. These three have me lusting about them! Shaz I wish I could do the same. Interesting seeing what people regretted. Especially that Dose of Colour has me baffled! 
lana-la
67 posts
My regret list is similar to jess (jess and I have talked about it). Like Jess I regret getting the too faced choc bar palette. I brought it on my last day in the states because of reviews yet I just don't like it. It probably doesn't help that I fell in love with my lorac shadows (they are like clouds for your eyelids) I just find the too faced ones chalky compared to the lorac ones. Another too faced item I'm semi regretting is the candlelight all over powder. It seems to break down my foundation and goes patchy.
I also regret the micellular water although I am using it up as a brush cleanser.
ladythorn
108 posts
I have no regrets yet. I think I have been pretty sensible lately..  OMG! :O
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
No I'm also with no regret
 I always think if it doesn't work out I give it to my sister 
I like to try some things for myself oh ah on that note I've just brought myself the chocolate bar eyeshadow palette. I've looked at all the reasoning and read the reviews and it was just sitting in my shopping cart. I've just had to decide between two jobs so such a stressful week hope I made the right decision so clicking the contine button helped eeeee I can't wait now 
All my foundations. NONE of them match me since I have skin so yellow it's almost green in places. I'll just keep using my Skin79 BB cream that makes me look pale as a sheet till it's gone then maybe buy another since I can't find another somewhat similar match.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!