Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Refusing to Pay Shipping

54 posts, 39 members
Danni
324 posts
Okay so I just went and put a bunch of Tony Moly and Etude house in my cart fill out everything until it gets to shipping options cause I HATE paying shipping like I'll literally just close the tab instead of wanting to pay for my shipping. Anyone else like this? I feel so lame hahah
kirstysays
762 posts
Haha I totally do this.  I have justified the price of the actual products in my head, but, I hate paying shipping too!
Danni
324 posts
Literally what I did! I do it all the time. Like yeah $12 for the product but $3.80 for shipping (I know its not that much but still) ugh nope. *closes tab* hahah unless it's like an essential product I rarely pay shipping. Or if it's a gift if it's just a splurge item for myself I won't
Lisa-
79 posts
haha yes! All the time, i'll go through the whole cart process to see how much shipping would be and then decide it's too much. Even on NZ websites when the shipping is like $5 I just won't buy anything.
Danni
324 posts
So happy I'm not the only one!
chikoboo
3402 posts
I don't refuse to pay it if I am shopping online I nearly always expect to pay shipping especially if the item is at a much lower rate than what is available in store.  Shipping overheads are what kills companies so I wouldn't expect free shipping.  Ok if there was a free shipping event on I wouldn't think twice like I normally do when I find myself filling up carts.  But I purchase off of online stores all the time as I live rural to a large town and can't physically get to the shops to purchase.  That being said there is some companies out there that have hideously overcharged shippng costs but on general sites the shipping isn't actually that bad.  If we don't pay for shipping how else is it going to be paid for it to be posted to you, have you seen the price to post things nowadays lol.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Depending on what it is. I had 3 lippie sticks and 3 lip liners from Colorpop in my cart and when I saw the shipping I closed the tab, 20 something dollars for something that small! I don't think so. If it's less than $10 then yeah I'll pay for shipping, because usually I get a tracking number with it too and I can't stand not knowing where my parcels are!
Danni
324 posts
Okay maybe 'refuse' was the wrong word but I'll reconsider my whole purchase if I have to add shipping on top of. I usually always buy off bigger websites like ASOS and just go upto the free shipping amount and then purchase. But I'm a major stinge with money! So shipping puts me off products. Which is fine because as I said I'll pay of it's an essential/present without hesitation but as soon as it's a splurge item I wont which I see as a good thing :)
Danni
324 posts
Yes! I was al prepared last week to buy shaaanxo collab and meow off colourpop but didn't want to pay $18 for shipping. Now I've missed out on meow but on the upside I still have $50 :)
astylecollector
204 posts
I am so like this. I check so many online sites but I get put off when shipping to NZ is so expensive. The only exception is iHerb because I can get a variety of things and not just makeup and shipping balances out because the prices are so cheap.
I go to Beautyjoint and I close out every time I find out about how much the shipping is. I'm so cheap like that and I can't help it. Another reason why I still haven't used Youshop or Shipito.

The downside of NZ being so far away!
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
Depends how much the shipping is! I'd rather buy Colourpop stuff from my friend who imports it for $12 each that get it for $5USD off of their site and then pay the $32 for shipping!
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Mmmm I guess it depends on the amount of shipping and how much I'm purchasing.

I get put off if I'm buying overseas as some of their prices are ridiculous and if its a product that requires Youshop, I just won't even bother as I'm too scared to find out what the postage cost is once it arrives in New Zealand.

I do tend to buy the majority of my products online so I always expect to pay a shipping fee.  To me its a small price to pay for being able to shop in my pjs without actually having to go outside and its delivered to my door so I don't have to go into stores that I can't stand because of their bad customer service lol.  xxx
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Danni what shop were you purchasing from as there are some that sell those same items for cheaper or free shipping xx
Chaotic82
522 posts
I sort of have a limit in my head think, of acceptable shipping.     I spent hours on a site the other night adding things to my cart, but when the shipping was going to be 48.50 I shut it down and walked away.   Makes the bargains not worth it!
Rezee
1964 posts
I like reasonable shipping prices, I will pay it as long as what im buying is a good deal so it makes it worth it. I do like free shipping, and if a site has free shipping for over $50, I am more inclined to spend that much even if what I wanted was only $20. 
Chaotic82
522 posts
I do that too!   Sometimes I even get two of something and think "Well I could sell the other one and make some money back" but I rarely get around to bothering to do that hehe
Mila
1209 posts
I dont mind paying shipping as long as its reasonable I am definately put off by really high shipping costs but I look at like it saves me time and gas when ordering online so im more than happy to pay.  Seeing free shipping is definately always a massive bonus though !! :)
Macs
5351 posts
The shipping terrifies me. Because The currencies are different. I've so far only purchased from NZ owners because I understand it better. I would definately need some help if I decided to go international.
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I'm happy to pay shipping if something's coming from the US or Europe, provided it is reasonable. Within NZ and Australia I am far more likely to buy if there is either free shipping or a threshold for free shipping.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I would rather pay a reasonable amount for shipping and get a tracking number, but I always have a figure in my head as to how much the shipping should be.
I will always investigate if there is a shipping cost so there are no surprises.  If there is free shipping then that's a bonus  :-)
chloednz
217 posts
I do love a free shipping sale (way to make me buy more things I dont need though!). Being a rural gal however, I am used to having to pay quite a bit for shipping (like iherb shipping is cheap considering what some people charge for rural delivery within NZ!). In saying that though I am too scared to use youshop or shipito as I like to know what I am going to pay beforehand without surprises, and if shipping is $20 or more I cant really justify it to myself. I suppose it would be different if I was spending hundreds, but I only really order up to $70 of products at a time, so to seem worthwhile to me the shipping has to be proportionate to my order.
Angell
182 posts
I don't mind paying shipping, however I do use my calculator (cause I suck at maths) to see the difference between buying the products in my local shop vs buying them online for really cheap and then having to pay shipping. If it's something I really want and can only get it online, I will compare prices for online buying and shipping. But I dont want to buy somethingn for half price then pay double for shipping and it ends up being maybe $1 cheaper than just going to the shop and have it instantly :)
MareeB
5239 posts
I love fishpond - the price includes shipping. The downside is you have to wait a few weeks but mostly that doesn't matter-  you get a nice surprise after you've forgotten you ordered something :)
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Free shipping is definitely something I prefer but I am happy to pay shipping as long as it isn't obscene. Just today I was going to buy myself a birthday present - a signed book and t shirt from my favourite band but the shipping was $40US!!!!! That is more than the items I was going to buy! So sadly I refuse to pay that for shipping.
alikat
423 posts
I often call shipping "Island Tax" because it's the price we pay for living so far away. I quite like Beauty Bay for its free shipping. When Amazon had free shipping to NZ if you spent over USD$125, that was amazing, but that has gone now. 

I'll often look at the limit to get free shipping and then weigh up if it's worth the hassle of like spending $5 to save $4 sort of thing. 

iHerb shipping is pretty good. I bought some RT brushes on the 13th and I selected the cheapest shipping option ($2!!) and they arrived today. 
MissQT
1547 posts
Yes I always cringe at sites that charge exorbitant shipping prices. It depends on how big my order is and what I'm buying, but I would pay more than $10-20 dollars for shipping.
-Bex-
611 posts
I don't mind paying shipping I do most of my shopping online except the basics from farmers. The joy of living rural.
Danni
324 posts
All I wanted was the banana milk hand cream and a pore erase thing :(
SandieNZ
424 posts
I've done this with Lush so many times - I really really really want to try some of their bath bombs but something in me refuses to pay $9 shipping lol
roteone
42 posts
The shipping cost can be so outrageous! That's why I love Iherb. $8 for shipping from the States.
Koni
444 posts
I generally don't mind paying shipping costs as long as it's not higher than the value of my goods.  With Shipito it's "high" but I can justify it by the amount of money I would have spent had I decided to buy it here (either walking into the store / or via post).
Kellyleanne
551 posts
Yes, I'm the same. If the shipping cost seems high I always give it a miss. 
chikoboo
3402 posts
If you find that shipping is high on a certain site then I would suggest following on IG or FB some of the gals on here who say they regularly buy from certain sites.  I know a few that don't mind combining others into an order and sharing shipping.   Recently I did a huge Colourpop order between 3 of us and the shipping worked out affordable, the same for places like iherb and LASplash to name a couple.  
Kellie
570 posts
I don't mind paying shipping but it has to be reasonable and fair - anything more than $6 - 7 for shipping within New Zealand on small items and I get a bit 'yeah nah' about it. Overseas shipping varies too. iHerb's shipping is amazing, but I can't bring myself to pay the twenty odd dollars for Colourpop - I may have to get in on a joint haul for that in the next few weeks :) The only time I paid what I would call 'exorbitant' shipping costs was when I bought the breton top Princess Catherine wore while she was here in New Zealand. 20 pounds!!! But so worth it, it's a beautiful top.
First Lady
957 posts
Kellie...you paid 20 quid to have a top shipped?!

Although as my mother would say...if it's good enough for the Windsors ;)
Chaotic82
522 posts
Wow Kellie, I knew you liked breton stripes...but Wow LOL
george
150 posts
Sometimes shipping really turns me off! It's not that it's there, I expect to pay shipping.. but some places is just so expensive (in other words, ColourPop).
trudijoy
8375 posts
What I dont'understand about shipping is how theres no real standard charge. Some places do it for nothing, some for next to nothing, others seem to be financing overseas holidays and diamond jewellery out of the shipping alone, because it surely can't cost that much! I try not to buy things that have to be shipped to NZ (easy for me to say while I'm travelling a fair amount I know) and even then it can vary wildly. It always dims the gloss of the pretty things - until they arrive, then they're all sparkly again
Kellie
570 posts
Haha, I'm next-level obsessed with Bretons. I can't wait to go to Oz in August because Boden do some amaaaaazing Bretons, and I'm gonna ship them to my sisters address - yes, I'm out of control.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Lush's shipping seems pretty steep at $9. But that's cheaper than me making a trip to my nearest shop and sometimes it's the only way to get limited edition stuff. Last time I did an order online, they included a free full size product as a 'random act of kindness' which was worth double what I paid for postage. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Soozie I have three Lush stores reasonably close, but I'd pay $9 for Lush, because I freaking adore it hehe.

So saying, half the joy of Lush is the in-store service, and because I've trialled and bought a few times they're even better about giving me samples now :D  and that's pretty steep shipping seeing as it's only in out lil country.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yeah Lush are even more generous with the samples when they get to know you. Trudi have look at #lushoxfordstreet on IG at all the new products they are selling just in the new store. I really hope they make their way over here one day. 
SandieNZ
424 posts
I am still a Lush virgin, I really want to try their bath bombs, but since there's no Lush anywhere near Gisborne, $9 seems so wasteful when I could get a whole other bath bomb for that!  I'm sure I'll cave one day and love it though lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
ooh soozie I will! I always get Lush in Japan if I see a Lush shop, mostly because the katakana labels are somehow miles cooler haha. I do the same with Body Shop.

1mamabear the bathbombs are to die for. Do a bulk order maybe and gift some, keep some etc so you can justify the $9 more easily?
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Seriously, there's about 50 new products only being sold at the new store. Lush heaven! Mamabear, I'm sure if you did an order based on what you like the sound of, you will love most, if not all, of it. 
amandaxoxo
24 posts
Honestly I am very guilty of this, like I pick out a whole heap of stuff that I want but then the cost of shipping is like 50% of the price of my products. Like what sane person would actually do this. So generally I then just shut the tab and try and continue on with life without the products I feel I need in life.
ladythorn
108 posts
I don't mind paying shipping but it has to be well within the desired overall total I want to pay for the item, if it's overly extreme then I try to find a cheaper option or website that stocks the product. I gag at some of the shipping costs especially if it's small items like cosmetics. 
tannygirl
3392 posts
I'm kind of nuts. I will seek out sites that offer free postage if you spend X number of dollars worth of stuff from their site. I can justify spending an extra $30 - $50 to dodge a $5 postage fee. That being said there have been times I needed something and just bought the one or two items and that was less than the purchasing threshold to qualify for free postage and paid for postage. Iherb has pretty good shipping rates atm the moment. I think anything over $5 postage for a really small items is a bit much. There are some sites I would purchase from more often if they lowered their shipping costs because like $10 for postage, I'm probably not going to order to often from that site because when I do an order I have to do a very big one to justify the postage costs.
Cesy
162 posts
If I do an on-line purchase, I kinda think "Is the shipping a reasonable cost in proportion with the products I'm purchasing?" If I'm buying something pricey, but I can't get it in NZ, I'll pay the shipping. If its something I could get at Farmers for a little bit more, I'll probably not get it on-line. It's all a matter of balancing for me.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!