Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

Quake related love... (NBR)

27 posts, 17 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
to all BR members in quake affected parts of Aotearoa, I hope you're safe, well, not to shaken up and have found refuge.

NZ pulling together in times of crisis is part of what makes Kiwis so great - I'm hoping that the BR babes out there are all okay
shazatron101
5112 posts
that was bloody scary alright! watching the news this morning to see the damage, good lord. poor hillary barry is practically in tears talking about a family who were robbed over night who only evactuated cos they have a disabled daughter - how freakin terrible. i can't believe some people. 

hope all is okay in your neck of the woods trudi xx
trudijoy
8375 posts
didn't feel it at all Shaz so was horrified to wake up to a phone full of messages about it. I'm well aware of what a bad quake feels like and always feel slightly helpless hearing people down country deal with them. Genuinely hope everything is okay in the end.

I can't believe that story, it makes me sick.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
I spent a good part of last night rereading articles on BR and trying to ignore the little aftershocks. The CBD here is pretty much a ghost town today. That's awful about that family.
RamblingRose
1280 posts
I hope everyone is okay!  My heart goes out to those who where affected last night.  How insensitive and heartless of those people to rob that family during an emergency.  

I woke up this morning completely oblivious to what had happened.  It was only when I checked my phone and saw emails, text messages and WhatsApp messages from family & friends overseas, asking if we were okay, that I realised something huge had happened while we were sleeping.  We didn't feel a thing up here in Whangaparaoa but there were reports of people feeling tremors or seeing the water moving in their swimming pools (in Auckland)!  
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I hope everyone is ok! Sending my love to all, our house rolled like we were on a boat, terrifying experience. Safe to say I made sure our emergency kit is up to date this morning....feeling for the families that have been directly hit by mother nature and the low life humans stealing from them :(

Stay safe every one xx
Macs
5351 posts
I didn't feel anything at all here in auckland. I did see a lot facebook statuses with news of the quake. Hope everyone is ok. 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I was awake but felt nothing in Grey Lynn, I watched reports on geonet, once I saw the online paper, when it happened. There were "moderate+" quakes all over. I don't think those that were in them would think it's moderate.
I contacted my TL since I work in a call centre that deals with insurance, to see if I was needed back today, she is going to call me if it changes.

For those in the quake that don't know, take plenty of photos for home or contents insurance and if you think you are over the EQC cap, file a claim with your normal insurer and EQC. Some claims can be filled out online to start with rather than you waiting on the phone.  

Those that haven't prepared, might want to start/increase your stockpiles and check your insurance cover is enough. If you don't have insurance it might be worth looking at.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Shazatron some people are naturally lowlife pond scum that do things like this. I only hope that they get caught and punished.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Pond scum is an excellent term to describe them! 

I'm also thinking that I'm going to make a kit, I don't have one and haven't really bothered thinking about one until last night - and I realized how unprepared we are. Any tips would be great!
MissQT
1547 posts
I send my love out to everyone too and hope all the BR families are safe. I was awake at the time and definitely felt the quake here in Welly. Things fell over in the house but we're all ok and nothing got damaged. Did anyone read about the super moon we are expecting to get? Someone predicted we would get earthquakes as the moon being closer meant the moons gravitational pull was stronger and would cause the plates to shift.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
The government website has a list http://getthru.govt.nz/how-to-get-ready/emergency-survival-items/
When I was working in security I got a staff discount on a quell basic kit similar to http://store.chubb.co.nz/16/specials  so I picked up 4 of them one for the car and one in the home for myself and my brother, 2 each. There are firms out there that do kits for 4 people and stuff.
I also have a tent stashed with a camp stretcher for accomodation. I do need to replenish my canned goods collection and look at getting a mini stove, but if you have a bbq a gas stove can be skipped.
Lutece
1849 posts
Im feeling the love Trudi <3

This is so devastating! I hope everyone is safe, there are a few ladies that live in Kaikoura that Ive been so worried about, Joni the lady behind Ro-Vie cosmetics and Victoria who Im not sure is on Beauty review.

Those scum bags that stole from those who evacuated left me speechless especially because I never thought it would happen in New Zealand, I hope they find out who they are and theyre punished severly for their actions. 

Shaz its great you want to put together an emergency kit, a good start is to collect the basic things you need and then add extras as you go, torches, candles, batteries, containers of water, radio with batteries for news updates, food that can be stored eg tin cans of spaghetti and soup, extra medication if needed, first aid kit, a portable gas cooker, hand sanitiser, sanitary products, rubbish bags and spare buckets for rubbish or emergency toilet, baby wipes for alsorts, we also have a backpack with a few items, light wet weather gear, emergency blankets, torches with batteries, sweets and crackers, waterproof matches and a small first aid kit. 

Natural disasters are so scary, I hope everyone out there is ok especially our BR babes <3
tannygirl
3392 posts
Glad to hear that so far some of the BR members are okay. I got messaged by some friends overseas checking to see I was alright. I hope those heartless pond scum robbers get caught, absolutely appalling!
shazatron101
5112 posts
I read waterproof mascara instead of matches hahahahaha oh dear. Head in the clouds! I'll screen shot that and keep it on my phone so I can buy the things as they come along. I currently have a recharchable torch (one of those ones you pump and it goes) as well as water and a lighter.

I hope I never need it but it is a pretty smart thing to have! 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
It was terrifying here (I'm 25 mins north of Wellington) I couldn't sleep last night anyway so I was awake for the whole thing. Then there was the aftershocks and I am in a tsunami zone and it was unclear whether I should evacuate or not. I finally managed to get three hours sleep before my alarm went off then even more confusion as to whether school would be opened or not. Anyway, we opened and I had one kid at form time and only three in my scheduled class. 

I'm going to have a cup of camomile tea and try and get my head down for a few hours. Hopefully we will have a quiet night although still feeling earthquakes this afternoon.

My mum said shethought there might be an earthquake last night due to the moon but there's no scientific proof to support that the moon affects seismic activity. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Aw Soozie I hope you get some sleep!! I was going to try that but then opted for alcoholic ginger beer ;-)
I am also with you about the moon thing! 
ragingfrog
1289 posts
I'm surprised that your school was open, let alone any student showing up Soozie. I suspect quite a few parents wanted to keep their kids close after last night. Fingers crossed for your little sleep session being able to happen.
Macs
5351 posts
I hope you can catch up on some rest tonight soozie. I'm surprised there was school today. I've seen speculation of this moon theory on facebook. I'm undecided on whether to believe it or not.
MareeB
5244 posts
It was shaking like crazy here. My son lives in Chch and he was having a nerve wracking time at home on his own!

Yep, thieves enjoy opportunities such as this. After the February earthquake there was tons of burglaries. It's soul  destroying, but there are always beautiful stories of the wonderful things good people do during those times.

Keep well to all of you in the worst affected places, I hope you are getting the support and help you need and deserve xxx
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
That's interesting about the moon. I was actually wondering if that had anything to do with it last night.

I have a civil defense suitcase but I think a smaller bag might be easier.
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Kia kaha koutou be strong keep safe thoughts and prayers to all whom are affected by mother nature. X
siouxsannah
261 posts
We felt the quake really badly here in Wellington. It lasted for about 2 minutes. It was a big rolling motion, and it gradually built in intensity. I was standing when it started and I had to grab onto the wall so I would not fall down. Ended up under the door frame. 
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I'm in Nelson and it was so terrifying. Was at home alone which was awful. Never experienced something like that and it felt like it was never going to stop. My heart goes out to everyone in Kaikoura. A sad day for NZ indeed.
Rezee
1964 posts
It makes me so sad to see all the devastation this earthquake has caused. I did feel it here in Tauranga but only because I was awake. It took me a minute before I realized what it was, I'd had a bit to drink on Sunday so thought it was just me feeling dizzy.  I haven't felt anymore since.
Rezee
1964 posts
and those low life's who are robbing places, ugh I just can't.  It truly sickens me.
It terrifies me every time NZ has a natural disaster like this! Can't be helped since we're on a fault line but still.

Please stay safe everyone! The two lives lost were two too many but at the same time it's an absolute miracle there weren't more casualties. 

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!