Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

No Spend 2015 drags on... and on... Who's in for March?

54 posts, 33 members
RC
162 posts
This is so much harder than I thought it would be!! How am I only two months in?? I have to many weak points where I could crack... But I've stayed strong. And now... Garnier Micellar water is launching? WHHHHHHYYYYYY do I do this to myself?

I'm moving house and travelling soon as well, so I've been downsizing massively and unloading products at the office; but the urge to buy beauty products still burns away, like an eternal flame that gets fanned up by this site haha.

How are we all doing ladies, and who's signing themselves up for No Spend March?

shazatron101
5112 posts
It's pretty epic you're doing a whole year of no spend. I don't think I could cope haha, although my collection of stuff is pretty small, so that's probably why. I am definitely on board for no spend March, not because I don't need to buy stuff but it's fun to test my limits and my self control :P
RC
162 posts
Haha thanks Shazatron (love the name by the way), the reality is I won't get through the whole year without running out of something, but I'm pushing myself to go as long as I can and use up every little thing in the house! I'm still on track to not need replacements for awhile... I think micellar water will be my biggest hurdle ahaha

Susilia
484 posts
hey, I'm doing a no spend 2015 as well :D hard as, but I have to get through so much stuff and so hard with expiry dates as well, I would survive a no spend 2016 as well with my current stash, how sad is that? I love buying and trying out new stuff, but let's face the fact that we only have one face and body, so slow down, I hate how this world is pushing us into buying the newest and latest products as they would really make such a difference, in reality they aren't doing anything better or something amazing, why do we belive the lies again and again, why do we bother?
Kellie
570 posts
I am sooooo in awe of your willpower.  February ended up being a bust, and I spent just under $50 on makeup, ooops.  Ah well, my first savings goal is looming so I'm back on the no-spend horse in March.  (Thank GOD I've the Beauty Box coming - a bright beauty spot in a frugal month.)
Pifithrin
1243 posts
We can do it ladies! I'm still in. Admittedly I did get two new nail polishes yesterday and a new remover, but I had chucked two old ones last week and the colours were ones I did not have. Plus I used a gift voucher, so it cost me nothing. Still have not bought any makeup though!
Pifithrin
1243 posts
Just to add - something I have found helpful is to remember that these products (looking at you Garnier Micellar water) will likely still be around when you have used up your stash at last. That, or something even better will have come along.
1139 posts
Yup, still going strong. I went to Farmers yesterday to buy an eyeshadow palette as a present for someone but haven't bought anything for myself in ages. I think I can do it for the rest of the year too!
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Regardless of how I look at it, I will need to get some BB or CC cream in the next month. I have minimised my purchasing and only getting when I need to but have still broken the last 2 months no spend a well. That been said project pan is going great at the moment using up all the half used products I have.
That being said I have the BRBB coming so I shouldn't need to spend any more.
Lutece
1849 posts
You are amazing doing a whole year no spend! I couldnt last a month!
Your doing awesome! And remember if you hint to others to buy you something that will prevent you from jepordising your no spend :P hahaha
Macs
5351 posts
You are so self disciplined. I couldn't even last and I brought something. No good aye..Might try for May.. Well done U...
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm back in for March, but with slightly different rules. My March rules are that I CAN buy something, but only if I've exhausted every single alternative in my huge makeup cupboard. So I won't be buying shower gel, for example, because I still have heaps, but I can buy a hair treatment because I don't have one at the moment and my hair needs one.
Filoaha
67 posts
I've signed up for No Sugar March at work so I don't think I could handle a no spend as well! 
Filoaha
67 posts
I've signed up for No Sugar March at work so I don't think I could handle a no spend as well! 
MAGPIEFI
615 posts
I could never do a no spend :(  I like stuff
I like products
I like it all :)
littleparadise
178 posts
Yep, you are amazing, I did no spend January, and told myself this is the year, where I stop freaking out about having 'back ups' of everything, yep I'm that girl who has 3 toothpastes in the draw, 6 bottles of conditioner and shampoo, 3 cleansers, and a whole community of moisturisers! Eeeek, I've been doing pretty well so far, but couldnt resist, grabbing a few 75ml Pantene Ultimate Shampoo and Conditioners from the warehouse for $1 each! As I told myself they are great for camping and travelling! Right... Haha 
ChristieMJ
358 posts
You girls are all so inspiring! I'm keen for a no-spend for the rest of the year as I need to start saving, won't jump into the deep end though so super keen for no spend march 
although i have no money i still have urges to buy beauty products. i'm not sure if i could last a year but it would be worth a try. props to you girls who can do it though.
Cesy
162 posts
No for March or April, I'm off to Australia and I intend to bleed my savings account dry! 

Maybe the rest of the year!
Koni
444 posts
Keep up the fantastic willpower rchalkett - 1 month is hard enough but 12 months is jaw dropping. I had 2 weeks left of my 3 months ban before I caved in..it finishes tomorrow :-) I bought a Chanel bronzer I've been eyeing for YEARS (why I chose my no spend month to purchase it is beyond me) and the MAC Toledo collection - I couldn't say no to the preview evening and I went in there set on buying just the 3 items I wanted - with gift vouchers.

Keep up the amazing effort and hope you continue to update the rest of us on your journey!!!
Cat
474 posts
Wowzers! That's commitment doing a whole year! I'm taking it month by month and have full intentions to continuing thru March. I was talking of treating my self to Cashmere Velvetine at the end of Feb but I feel if I do it will just open me up for more 'treats'. Colourpop has been a temptation but if I just stay away from their site I should be good. 

I personally dont don't class skincare as part of my ban, mainly cosmetics but I'm been very stingy when it comes to skin and hair care and just replacing what I use. I class it as necessities whereas cosmetics are not. I sure do miss my presents to myself in the mail and the excitement at trying new products. Life feels a little dull :/ but my bank balance is striving which is awesome. 
EnyaMUA
1109 posts
At this point, because I only got back into make up at the end of last year (November time) I feel no need to do a no spend for a whole year. However as I expand I will be doing no spend months, or no spends in certain areas of make up, such as eyeshadow soon because I'm accumulating a brilliant collection. 
I just can't do it!  I know my bank balance would be better off but I would totally forget.  And I am about to run out of some everyday cosmetics.  Well done to those who have willpower  :-) x
Ksjc_nz
370 posts
I probably 'need' to stop buying stuff for the sake of my bank account, but I've got into the mentality that since I'm starting my beauty therapy course in July I need to get a head start :p
I've spent more since joining BR at new years than I have probably in the last 2 years on skincare and makeup! Had a trip to Lush yesterday, farmers the other day and this morning was a Jeffree star order lol.
No hope for me!
ChristineHoll
152 posts
Not much hope for me in a no-spend 2015, especially as I placed a Sephora order just last week and am planning a few more online orders next month! I will be following along in interest though.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I admire you guys for signing up to a do a non spending year! I tried doing a non spend January, that was a fail, as was February! And now i need to do a colourpop order, as well as a few other bits and pieces! So i think it will need to be a no spend April for me! Don't think i could manage doing any more than a month, but i know my bank balance would be happier if i tried.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Gorgeous new pic, marzipan xx
RC
162 posts
Haha thanks ladies, I love hearing how everyone is getting on!! Like a lot of others have mentioned, the healthier bank balance is probably the biggest bonus... I have a few big ticket items I need in the next few months, and just cutting out beauty spending means I've actually got most of the money sitting there waiting. Thats a big change!!

And wowsers Marzipan, gorgeous new profile pic! xx
ajrees23
41 posts
You guys  are amazing for trying to do a whole year. That takes way more will power and determination than I have. I live in a small town and everytime I go to the city I have to stock up on beauty products especially if they are on sale.
Good luck to all of you that are doing it. I may give it a go once I have amassed a bigger beauty collection, I still have too many amazing products I want to buy. :)

Julieal
915 posts
Too hard for me -Good on you for your strong will power.
Julieal
915 posts
Too hard for me -Good on you for your strong will power.
Kimrose
1416 posts
Wow,what will power for all of 2015! Best of luck. I am aiming for no spend March and April, and truth be known, I could go throuh to next year with all I have but I am not brave enough to commit for that long...2 months at a time for me for now.
accidentprone_x
845 posts
I would but I'm considering getting me one of those organisers from warehouse stationary to hold all over my beauty related items. But I have been limiting what I am getting myself. Which I am struggling with but so far so good.
-Bex-
611 posts
I wish I had the willpower but unfortunately I don't I'm actually getting worse and buy way more than I need at the moment 
RC
162 posts
Oh dear, I had a really really vivid dream last night, about makeup! Must be a sign that No Spend is taking it's toll, hahaha.

I dreamt that MAC had a 70% off everything online sale (how great would THAT be??) but only open for like, 10 minutes. I went nuts and ordered heaps of stuff, and then I dreamt about unboxing each and every thing when it arrived. And it was really specific too, I remember most of what I ordered haha. And for some reason there were lots of Benefit products in there too. 

I often remember my dreams, but this was particularly vivid! I'm officially going a bit cray cray heeheehee
shazatron101
5112 posts
Hahaha rchalkett! That's funny. Perhaps instead of easter eggs you can get people to buy you make up haha ;-)

charly
456 posts
Susilia, I totally know what you mean. I buy buy buy, but I can only use so much product at a time and buying something from one brand doesn't stop me craving buying from another. 

I reckon I probably have enough to do a no spend 2015 and 2016, with the exception of shampoo and conditioner. But I don't want to commit to something that feels too hard, so I'll just start with a no-spend March. It'll be an easy start because I have the Beauty Box coming ;)

Thanks for motivating me everyone!!

Oh, just remembered the Beauty Vault is opening soon too... No spend shouldn't be too arduous then ;)
tannygirl
3392 posts
I'm minimising my spend since I'm in the middle of a move and have to downsize but there are a few things I still want/need.
shazatron101
5112 posts
Welp I have failed misterably, and it's not even my fault! I bought some stuff without even realizing the months had changed. Damn you February for being a short month!!  Oh well. ;-)
Kellie
570 posts
Naughty old February!! :)  I'm still going strong. I'm determined to see this month out as next month is birthday month and I've a couple (million) things I realllly want.  Hurry up birthday month!!
RC
162 posts
I know what you mean about February, I keep thinking we're still in the first few days of March, that short month really throws you!

Happy birthday for next month Kellie, I'm an April baby too but I'm going to be away overseas for most of the month, so I can hopefully avoid makeup tempation! I don't want any presents this year, but Mum insisted as it's a big milestone birthday, I was so tempted just to give her a list of makeup but I really don't need it! I have asked her to get micellar water if she sees it, I"m not really big on presents, easily pleased haha!
ChristieMJ
358 posts
I've been pretty good so far for March, especially considering its my birthday month! I was going to try and do a Sephora haul because I'm after those NARS lip pencil birthday gifts however I convinced myself that theres nothing I really neeeeeed so proud of that! The only thing I have bought so far is Micellar water but I'd run out of all my makeup remover and wipes so did technically need it!
tannygirl
3392 posts
Other than stuff of other members and items for gift packs I haven't bought anything special for myself yet. I do have a $20 Farmers reward but I'm waiting for the lingerie sales so I can spend it on an excercise bra since I really need another one.
shazatron101
5112 posts
TAKE THE INTERNET AWAY FROM ME!!!! I am out of control. I need a slapped hand and to have temporary memory loss so I can forget my credit card number and the amount of websites you ladies suggest for buying the pretties. Hahahahahah ahhh dear I need a credit card rehab or something
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
He he he Shazatron, it is super hard aye when you have your credit card memorised lol.  I could cut up my card but yep still wouldn't make any difference lol.
shazatron101
5112 posts
It would only matter if I needed it desperately in store, that is if I cut it up haha. I just need to stay on websites that sell things online haha 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Stay OFF websites that sell things haha gosh darn
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Shazatron101  There is no hope for me but save yourself, tell the bank you lost your credit card and they will issue you a new one with a new number. I know all my numbers off by heart and have just been given a replacement as mine is about to expire and I already know the cvc and new expiry, I only got it 2 days ago. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
Ragingfrog, I am so passed being saved. It's like I saw the life preserver and waved at it giddily as I passed. I definitely need a slapped hand (several times!!) and I do need to stop buying things haha I've spent far to much on items I don't even need... I refuse to feel guilty about it though!! ... lol
ragingfrog
1289 posts
shazatron101  to be adrift in a sea of makeup is wonderful. And Tuesday is when I will have even more to swim in, with the BRBB arriving.

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!