Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

No buy September

55 posts, 23 members
alikat
423 posts
Anyone doing one of these? I'm doing so well! Haven't bought a thing except for one bottle of nail polish. The bad NZD-USD exchange rate is also helping. AND I've got 25% of my airfare to the USA saved up too :)
kirstyj
1732 posts
Good work alikat! I'm doing one too and have done awesomely at not buying beauty stuff (other than the BRBB)... unfortunately I have started buying house stuff instead! Need to stop that ASAP as it is even more expensive than my Beauty habit.
alikat
423 posts
I missed the BRBB as I picked the worst time for a no buy. Actually, I just plain had no money that week. Whoops. The urge not to shop is quite hard at the moment though. I've been having such a crap time of things lately I just want to say SOD IT and hit the Chanel counter at Farmers Botany. Cannot wait until this semester is over and the tendonitis has settled down in my good knee. 

Plus side, I finished two assignments today and a third assignment is about 30% done. 
chelseaadelaide
703 posts
I'm not doing a no-buy but the fact that I have had no money and have been super busy has certainly helped. Actually, I think the only thing I have purchased has been a repurchase of my Australis powder which ran out. 
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
Good work Alikat! I haven't been doing so well on the not-buying front as I have bought a couple of much needed items, but I've gotten rid of a massive amount of stuff this month and am still going! Feels fan-freaking-tastic. 
Rezee
1964 posts
Sadly not me. My names Renee, and it's been 3 days since my last binge of buying beauty products. I almost bought the anastasia palette today but it was sold out from beautylish so I took it as a sign. The struggle is real!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I have been. Can't believe I haven't caved. The BRBB totally didn't count of course. I've sold heaps on TM a few hundred so far. I've put every cent away into savings. Still have alot more to list as well
alikat
423 posts
Actually - I should list my Mac Cool Neutrals palette. I don't reach for it at all and haven't done for months. Time to send it off to a new home!
I caved actually. I went ahead and bought 5 lipsticks... Whoops!
Koni
444 posts
Ali! I've been missing your insta posts :-) Good to hear you smashed out 2 assignments today.

No not me but like Sarah I'm working harder at getting rid of things I don't use and trying to focus on panning.
alikat
423 posts
Koni - literally haven't had time for instagram! Hopefully this week though... I've hardly even had time for BR. Been drowning in assignment work. Actually, lodged a complaint with the dean of the business school because the workload was just too extreme and the faculty agreed and reduced it back. What kind of lecturer doubles the workload on a paper because he thinks its more fun. It is not fun... I wasn't sleeping and literally just breathing one paper and not even able to give any time to my other paper. Or my husband. Or my pet. 

I'm now wondering what other makeup I could sell aside from my MAC Cool Neutrals palette... I have a few foundations to chuck. And I have an EL Double Wear Light that is too dark for me and unopened as well. Just don't have the box. Could list that too! YAY!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Alikat you will be surprised what sells. I've been grouping some things together, others singles. I've been watching some fb buy sell pages over the last yeat, and I haven't had nearly as good as a result that I have had with tm. You don't seem to get messed around on tm either.

I'm also enjoying watching my not used items leaving the house. It makes space look better not cluttered
ChristineHoll
152 posts
I've never done a no-buy, but I'm thinking about selling some stuff before buying new makeup (like my ABH contour palette - I just can't get the hang of it!). Do you ladies just put it on trademe or is there some kind of trick to selling makeup?
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I list on trademe. Put the lowest price you would accept. Then anything more is a bonus. Somethings I put lower than other ones listed to get attention of other bidders
Rezee
1964 posts
I do a bit of both facebook and trademe. I think they both have pros and cons. I find you will generally get less on facebook but you could sell in 5 minutes with no fees. Trademe will generally get you a better price but it takes longer to list and you have to pay fees and it might take a bi to sell. I get mucked around way more on facebook, at least with trademe, most people don't want bad feedback.
MareeB
5239 posts
I've done great this month - I've only  bought the BRBB (but that's a must) and two Nivea lip glosses. I've bought too many things over the past few months so needed to cool it for a bit....
MareeB
5239 posts
Rezee you've done 1000 posts!
kirstyj
1732 posts
Congrats Rezee on 1000 posts! That is pretty awesome :)
alikat
423 posts
Right. I've put aside two foundations (One EL as mentioned above and one Mac Face & Body that is only a quarter used!) and the palette. Tomorrow night, I'll stick em on TM to get some money for the Chanel counter. LOL.
Rezee
1964 posts
Thanks :) I've been enjoying talking on here over the last couple of months especially, thanks for listenng to me waffle on!
chikoboo
3402 posts
I'm trying so hard to be on a no buy, but then the MUG due chrome shadows came out and being new and shiny I had to order!  Then with a trip up to Chch where all the shops are and I barely ever get to an actual shop lol I have plans to hit Ballantynes for the counters especially Benefit but after that I am going to work double hard to be a good girl and not spend anymore on beauty purchases =)  here's hoping x
shazatron101
5112 posts
I think I'm doing okay, the only thing I've bought was melts and fiances birthday present I think... I resisted the new Bossy releases (dunno how) but I think when I get to a certain number on my visa I'll treat myself to some bleach and cook my hair :-D 
Lutece
1849 posts
Good on you Alikat! The end of spetember is near! I am on it because I am broke lol so I dont have a choice haha, I hope you stick to it :)
Macs
5351 posts
I never do no buys, because I know I'll never do it. I always say low buy, which I keep to a minimun amount. Well done for keeping at it.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Is it wrong of me, I have been looking at items online to buy at nordstroms, ulta, beautynet korea wanting to buy. Needing to spend only to close the site and walk away because I can't justify it before I get my BRBB. Why is my won't power working at present.
Macs
5351 posts
I have no will power at all. Your not alone ragingfrog.
chikoboo
3402 posts
Off topic I know but loving the bright look Macs =) x
Macs
5351 posts
Thank you, I did this look last week . Thinking of doing a look again this week. See how it goes. I have thick eye brows. Might get them threaded right back.
Head Pixie
569 posts
I'm with Chikoboo, you look gooooorgeous Macs. I saw that picture and it literally whooshed my breath away. That shade of yellow was made for you x
Macs
5351 posts
Aww thank you Head Pixie xxx  It's a Lower Tshirt Dress, one of my faves.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I NEED to do a no spend october. Every month I just buy so much stuff its getting ridiculous, plus with this spontanous trip to perth.. my finances need some building up! I will need everyone's help for a no-buy october! I have failed doing a no-buy so many times its ridiculous
kirstyj
1732 posts
I love your profile pic Macs! I can't believe you can rock yellow like that, super jealous :)
kirstyj
1732 posts
Also I meant to say Macs that you shouldn't thread back your eyebrows! (unless you want to of course). You have brows that heaps of people would die for! I think they look great.
Macs
5351 posts
Aww kirsty thank you.  Funny I feel like I got two hairy caterpillars . Everyone elses looks nice and thin. I want more arch.
Kimrose
1412 posts
Reeze, I didnt know that you could sell things on facebook! Congrats on your 1000 posts!
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
I'm so useless every month I've said next month is a no buy & I look like a total liar bc I upload hauls even other week of my purchases. Arrrgh :/ too many things tempting me. I've gotten slow down sooner or later.
ragingfrog
1289 posts
Since I had only bought the BRBB this month I thought I was fine. Find out at dinner last night a friend is going to the US. What to request, as long as I tell her were to go she will pick some stuff up for me since she is spending 5 days shopping. Good bye yearly bonus and AECT pay out before you are even received.
Sarahbeautynz
1031 posts
That's so exciting Ragingfrog! Have to make the most of those opportunities when they arise :)

And Keri, you don't look like a liar, remember there's a good portion of us that are in the same boat...It's an addiction! Haha
Rezee
1964 posts
Keri, I so do that too! I tell my partner that I'm going to stop buying makeup, he gives me that look and says I've heard that before!
charly
456 posts
I'm doing quite well at the no spend 2015 (BRBB totally doesn't count ;) ) but I'm like Kirsty - I replace it with other shopping! I don't need new books anymore than I need new makeup! On the other hand I'm doing well at clearing out my clothes atm. I'm clearing out all the clothes that just don't fit right now I'm almost pre-preggy weight and all the ridiculous but beautiful heels that I can't carry a child while wearing so will never wear again!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
I've just been blown out of the water. With this month's no buy and selling stuff on tm, I've put every cent into bonus bonds that I've made as well as put in extra. So if I got paid $25 including shipping, I put it up to $30, I figured I'll add shipping into savings as well. Then I've put in what I would have spent on something else that week. I've just looked and I've never ever saved so much in a month before! Let alone alot of months before!
I'm totally doing this again next month. It's fun seeing the amount going up. It's not like I've missed the money as most of its from selling unused items.
Who wants to try turning the no spend into a mega savings month?
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I love that idea farmers-wife. I would love to save some money, especially with christmas and al those holidays coming up! Plus, i had a savings goal that I wanted to reach and I am nowhere near it so would be more than happy to start prioritising that goal again.
Rezee
1964 posts
That's a great idea Ong!  We really want to get a more modern family wgon in the next couple of months and was hoping to keep the loan amount as small as possible especially when we looked into it and realised how much interest we would have to pay. So far I have a special car account which ony has $600 in it, I'd love at least 3 or 4k so we wont have to borrow much.
neninoir
210 posts
Thats such a good idea Ong!! Might try and do that too!! I agree! Macs, girrrl you are lookin' fine in that yellow top!! ( seriously you could model!!) Ive been doing a no spend for the last few months without really even thinking about it, there is nothing I need. I've only purchased 2 small pots of facepaint and some xo beauty lashes and thats it. :)  
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
It's a good goal Christmas I reckon! My kids always seem to want the expensive stuff (rolls eyes)

Reeze your half way there with a good goal and the account. I like bonds for the mere fact I have it set up I have to go into get them out. Then it's 3 working days before the money is credited to your account. It's not like I can transfer money from the account on a whim.

Start loading stuff on tm and watch the bids (yes I'm addicted to watching mine) and think they are fighting to put money into your goal account. Then the minute you see the amount paid in your account flick it out right away.
george
150 posts
I was doing SO good on a no buy this month.. until today! Being sick and ending up on Beauty Bliss didn't end too well.. whoops. Ended up with the Australis Bronzing Primer and Carousel Cosmetics Small Angled brush. To be fair.. I'm almost out of primer and I've lost my small angled brush! Replacing the neccessities.
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
Oh I think replacing items is perfectly okay. I mean they are products and things you actually need. Farmers wife, can i have you trademe name, would love to see what goodies you are selling 
Rezee
1964 posts
Yeah, thats my problem with selling things. I don't transfer the money straight away and it just gets absorbed into random spending. 

I don't consider 'needs' to be a break of a no buy either. Buying only two items sounds pretty restrained to me too!
Farmers-Wife
2052 posts
Binary sure. I very much doubt I have anything nice enough for your collection. Yours sounds amazing! It's rid.ong most is used. Still sorting out more to sell :)

Rezee I was the same. Flicking it out seems to be what's working. I always say I'll put that towards whatever... it never happened :D
Thebeautycontext
1768 posts
I actually don't. Everyone says i bet your collection is amazing.. but its actually really small! I really don't know why I have been buying because it just doesn't seem to grow. In saying that, i do try get rid of stuff that I haven't been using so maybe thats why

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!