Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

New finds from America

31 posts, 10 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
so a couple weeks ago I was in Hawaii, my first trip to the US as an adult (I was 9 last time and not so much into beauty ;) )

Now that I’m  home, some new faves are beginning to emerge from the haul. So far I’m in love with....

-Urban Decay  Pore refining peel
- Victoria’s Secret gloss balm (not to mention the huge stash of perfumes and lotions)
- Valjean Laboratories Glow facial serum
- Crest 3D radiant white toothpaste
- garnier foaming micellar cleanser

no doubt there will be more things to add as I go but for now, those are rocking my world
trudijoy
8375 posts
Ooh also the Urban Decay X Kristen Leanne Kaleidoscope Dream palette
fairyfluff
19 posts
I love the Victoria secret body sprays!! The micellar foaming water sounds interesting. I wonder if or when we will get it here
Macs
5351 posts
Sounds lovely. I love micellar water for taking off my liquid eye liner . I wonder how that foaming one would be .
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah i got one big body spray (bamboo coast), three lotions and 7 scents in rollerballs ;) :D

Macs I only use oil cleansers to take off my makeup then follow with a cleanser or micellar water if my skin needs it so no idea if its any good for makeup removal but it's entirely balanced and leaves my skin feeling amazing.
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
Haha I know the feeling Trudi, I went a bit nuts in the cosmetics and clothing departments last time I was in the States. Sounds like you had a great time and found some cool new products :)

trudijoy
8375 posts
Crystal I have a bad habit of falling for things I can’t get in NZ lol
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
That urban decay palette looks so cool! I'm in love with the swatches I'm seeing on google. But not so in love with the price :(
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yeah I was a little shocked when I saw the price in NZ! I got it half price in Macy’s so it was $19.50 USD 
fairyfluff
19 posts
We pay more because of shipping I think. Damn NZ for being so far from everywhere else lol. I haven't seen the palette myself but I love Kristen Leanne.
tabucutie
1811 posts
I am looking forward to doing some retail therapy when I go to Hawaii. Especially since seeing your haul photo Trudi. I have high expectations. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
tabucutie yeah you'll love it! My recommendations beauty wise:

- Nordstrom Rack on Kuhio Ave (there's one at Ward Village too) - I got my LimeCrime Velvetines lipstick for less than $10, a UD lip Palette for $5, a UD nail polish for $6 etc.

- Sephora at Ala Moana is marginally cheaper then Sephora on Kalakaua Ave, but both are pretty good.

- The Victoria's Secret at Ala Moana and the one on Kalakaua Ave had very similar specials, but both are amazing and worth going to

- Macy's at Ala Moana was roughly the same price as Sephora, and I got the UD palette there as Sephora had run out

- Longs Drugs (drugstore makeup) is cheaper at Ala Moana but was so out of stock it wasn't even funny. The Kalakaua Ave one was a couple bucks more but well stocked

- Urban Outfitters stock a good selection of beauty as well - check out Valjean Laboratories serum, and Urban Outfitters perfume.

- duty free at Honolulu airport is okay, nothing amazing. I wouldn't bother setting aside too much cash for it, personally.

- bath and body works candles are awesome, but their shower gel and lotion ranges are lovely too

- contrary to what i thought, you CAN get Lush and the Body Shop in the states. But they're not that exciting, pretty similar to home.

- check out every day things like toothpaste; they have some good stuff!
tannygirl
3392 posts
    Wow, those prices are amazing! Limecrime under 10USD is unheard of and an UD lip palette for 5USD too good to pass up!
trudijoy
8375 posts
yup I could have gone totally nuts, they had the Lorac Pirates of the Carribbean range and all sorts going for peanuts, all authentic just on clearance. I was pretty restrained really!
tabucutie
1811 posts
Oooh I have never tried Limecrime or a UD palette. I hope there are a lot on clearance, I can't help myself when it comes to a bargain.
EliseMM
120 posts
Ooooh you have the new Urban Decay palette??!!! Looks uber pretty from what I've seen online. The peel sounds great too.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Elise it's this one - super smooth shadows (UD is always amazing) with intense pigmentation, I'm SO in love with it!
MareeB
5244 posts
OMG that is just gorgeous Trudi - I love those glittery colours!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Maree -one of those moments where something draws you across a shop and then you realise it's half price! was meant to be <3
tannygirl
3392 posts
  I am curious Trudi, if you saw anything in person that we haven't got here yet, that you were so looking forward to picking up. But when you saw and tried it a bit in the shop, it fell a bit short of what you thought it would be due to the hype?
MareeB
5244 posts
It looks too beautiful to use Trudi :)
trudijoy
8375 posts
I’ve used it legit every day since I got home Maree lol.

Tannygirl that’s really interesting, but no. I didn’t go over with a mindset of ‘I want x from y brand’ because i felt that would close me off to the fun of playing with new things. The only exception to that was a Maybelline foundation and lippy I I trialled on BR but wanted in slightly diff shades. I was just like ‘ I need a good range of things to play with over the winter’ and that mindset allowed me to make some awesome random discoveries. I knew things would be well priced and I really tried not to double up on types of product, with the exception of mascara. I’m SUPER happy with my haul. I was well short of my 46kg luggage limit but no regrets.
tabucutie
1811 posts
That is such a cute palette, I like the colours and the price. I hope I find one while I am there.

Quick question Trudi, NBR but did you happen to bring any food items back with you? Except for the shopping and beauty products I was hoping to bring back some foodstuffs for my dad who has never left the country. Just wondering if you know the protocols or rules related to this? Also did you get charged any goods tax for the stuff you brought back? I imagine I will be buying stuff not only for me but family nieces/nephews/co workers and wondering if I need to set extra money aside.
Imoshen
461 posts
You can bring back food but you MUST declare it at Customs (on the return form).  Everything you put in your mouth is considered a "food" so that includes chocolate and lollies.

The NZ Customs website say that you should not bring in:
Fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, poultry, honey, ingredients used in cooking and all dairy products
Alive or dead plants and seeds
Wooden items
Alive or dead animals or any products of such
Traditional/herbal medicines

You can bring back wooden items (make sure you declare it) and Customs will check it for bora and possibly want to fumigate it (at your cost).

If you are unsure about food items, Customs will check it out and either allow it through or destroy it so make sure you declare it because if you don't and they find it, you will be fined on the spot.

What we have found the best to do is pack this stuff in an easily accessible piece of luggage all together so they can check it out.  

Your bags will be scanned as you exit the airport so don't think you can hide anything from them :). 
trudijoy
8375 posts
as long as food is sealed/packaged you can bring it back easily.

I brought back (and totally recommend):

- boxes of Honolulu Cookie Company cookies - these are AMAZING.  They have sample boxes laid out and you can go in and help yourself to try them out, then put a box together.  10 in a box is $8.95 and they have other options as well.  The cookies are delicious, my faves are dark chocolate kona coffee, white chocolate coconut, white triple chocolate macadamia and just the simple coconut ones, but they're all good.  They do a stamp for every $5 spent, I think.

- Mauna Loa macadamia nuts - they have other brands (eg Island Princess, Hawaiian Host) but these were the best imo.  You can get everything from a half oz snack pack right up to a huge pack of them, and they're fresh, tasty and delicious.

- Hawaiian flavours of Hi-Chew (haichuu) Japanese candy, especially the lilikoi (yellow passionfruit - divine!)

- flavours we can't get here of things like M&Ms; (I brought back coffee nut ones, and caramel ones, but could easily have bought more), coffee flavoured pretzels, pineapple pretzels etc.  There's the usual american range of candy bars and chips and things as well.

- coffee!  Kona coffee is excellent, and I picked up two packets of a vanilla macadamia blend that's really really good.

There's also a HUGE range of macadamia, pineapple, coconut etc products.

Things I never ended up buying but was intrigued by:

- kona coffee butter

- some of the tropical jams, like guava and lilikoi

Things I loved over there but couldnt really bring back:

- Starbucks 'everything' croissants - basically a standard croissant with cheese and seeds baked into it, so good

- Mahaloha Burger onion rings

- just about the whole menu from Cheeseburger in Paradise, the Cheesecake Factory and Hard Rock Cafe

- local beer, esp Kona and Maui breweries

- onigiri (japanese rice balls) - i love these and you can't get PROPER ones in NZ like you can in Hawaii!

- these amazing guacamole flavoured corn chips I had somewhere!

- pizza slices from Nana Lu at The Street by Michael Mina; a social house  - basically a restaurant created likea food court with all these great little places around a central bar. 

- ALL the Japanese options at Shirokiya, the japanese food market under the Ala Moana Center

That's all I can think of for now lol

tabucutie
1811 posts
@Imoshen: that is super helpful thanks. Definitely looking at bringing back snacks,candy, chocolate maybe chips. I want to get a tin of liquid cheese or nacho cheese. Tinned goods. Great idea for easily accessible bag. I might use one piece of luggage as the "food/customs'" bag. Last thing I want is to get a fine or have goods chucked. I will declare EVERYTHING!

tabucutie
1811 posts
@trudijoy:thanks for the helpful hints. I hadn't thought about bringing coffee back will definitely have to grab some. Those cookies sound amazing, do they come in sealed packaging? When did you purchase in relation to when you left? I'd be be keen to grab some to bring home but don't want them to go off.

By any chance did you get to try cake? My mum wants me to bring back cake though as that is fresh goods I don't think I ccn bring it back. The closest I could probably do is buy boxed and sealed stuff and bring it back to make it... 
Imoshen
461 posts
I forgot to add that if it is tinned or vaccum packed (ie purchased from a supermarket or store) that it's highly likely that Customs will allow through.  They are looking for food that you have purchased at the local markets (spices, coffee beans etc) that have not been "processed" and packaged correctly in air tight seals.

Have a good time!  Try not to spend too much ;).

Hawaii is beautiful and bring back some Kona coffee :).
trudijoy
8375 posts
cake is probably pushing it tbh. It would have to be sealed, which wouldn't make it any good. You could get her American packet cake mix lol

The cookies all come individually packaged and they last about 30 days. I got the box I'm eating now midway through my trip, so they're probably 2 and a half weeks old, and they're fine. The company suggest you eat them within 30 days :)
tabucutie
1811 posts
@imoshen:yup that's basically what I was thinking buying from supermarket. I have watched enough border control to avoid plants/meat/fish etc. I'll definitely bring back coffee I'm sure my dad will enjoy it .

@trudijoy: perfect I didn't want the cookies to go off befor I get back. I'll buy them the second week though doubt they will last long on my return.What a great idea!
MareeB
5244 posts
I did not know that. When I came back from Aussie I stood in the airport and downed a big bag of walnuts and dates because I thought I wouldn't be allowed them!

OMG the shopping sounds fab - the food the food the food!

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!