Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR healthy snacks!

41 posts, 11 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
hey everyone! I'm back on the healthy bandwagon after a great start to the year followed by a decadent week in Dunedin (oops!) so hit me up with your fave healthy snacks so I can stock my kitchen!

Mine are probably:

- apples with cheese
- cherry tomatoes
- lebanese cucumbers
- seasoned seaweed packs
- the little mini bags of cassava chips or similar
- herbal teabags in fizzy water

I work from home and so i need low calorie, nutritious ideas please!
shazatron101
5112 posts
Tea bags in fizzy water!?!? Sorcery! I hate fizzy water but I do use tea bags in my drink bottle!

I'm not sure I have any grand ideas. I like carrot sticks, and banana chips and pretzels, but I'm not sure if the last 2 are "healthy" snacks.. Maybe in moderation hahaha ;-) 
kirstyj
1732 posts
I'm a fan of rice cakes, love the crunchiness. Havent bought them in ages you reminded me :)

Not sure if you already do this but I'm finding drinking plenty of cold water is doing wonders for stopping me being hungry. Not such a fan of needing to go to the loo all the time, but I'll deal.
trudijoy
8375 posts
its awesome Shaz... apart from a (very) occasional coke zero i don't drink soda, and this is kinda a calorie free, healthy version of soda.

I can never be naffed preparing carrots, but i like the baby ones in the bags (i know they're whittled down big ones, i don't care)

Pretzels are yummy and salty without being too bad calorically, good idea!  Banana chips, wow, blast from the past! might have to check them out!

I made pancakes at the weekend and literally all you put in is banana and egg, with a lil bit of baking powder, then i put cinnamon honey on top.  SO GOOD and i'm not the biggest fan of banana or egg.  It tastes like the middle of french toast with banana
trudijoy
8375 posts
Rice snacks are the goods kirsty! You'll love the variety of them in Japan. I drink a couple of litres a day while I'm working, it stops the dehydration from constant talking lol
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Hey Trudi...i'm on a health kick too. My go to snacks are:

Black pitted olives....mmmm
Cherry toms
Cucumber with cracked pepper
Greek yoghurt with chia seeds
Macro berry nut boost
Boiled eggs
Goji berries
Chopped up fruit
Spoonful of peanut butter lol

I just started drinking Chainui green tea the lemon one. It tastes real bad lol but I shall see if I get used to it.
Macs
5351 posts
Hey trudz , 

Im on a heathy eating kick. I'm currently obsessed with calorie counting. I have my minimum daily amount that I've allocated myself to reach my goal. 
I like to snack on fruit , at moment it's apricots, nectarines, plums and watermelon . I never pick veges because I eat plenty of those at lunch and dinner. I am curious to try some of your guys snacks out. Sounds yum. 
shazatron101
5112 posts
pffft blast from the past. banana chips are love! haha. and i saw your pancakes! holy hotcakes they looked good. menu for saturday? quite possibly :P 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Shaz childhood snacks are allllll good by me!

Macs I'm counting calories too, but I treat the number as a target not a limit which works for me. I lost 30kg in 2013 and this time I want to drop 10 before I go to Samoa. It's so easy once you get in the habit :)

Also Shaz the pancakes are the bomb. I'm already thinking of tweaks lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
(My childhood snacks anyway haha.)
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
Also parsnip crisps! Yummmmm
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yum lisa! Recipe?
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I buy them from countdown. The brand is called Proper Crisps. They also do kumera ones mmmm. They have very limited ingrediants which is great. Im sure I could probably make them easily. Thin slices of parsnip on a baking tray with a little olive oil....I should try that! Another good one is roasted chickpeas.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Oh I think I've had the kumara ones! I love veggies. Will have to check those out. Thanks!
MissQT
1547 posts
I love snacking on nuts and dried fruit. Hummus and crackers are good too. I wanted to make some hummus this weekend but made jam instead so I might try and make hummus next weekend. Oh Lisa, do you buy the dried chickpeas or make them. I tried to make them once but they didn't turn out as I expected. They weren't as crisp as I thought they would be. Some were soft and some were really hard.
Julieal
915 posts
Chia seeds added to you cereal or even as a drink ( soak for 5 minutes) are healthy and help to fill you up.

shazatron101
5112 posts
HNNNNNG those kumara chips are the bomb.com. I tried Bluebirds kumara chips and they were terrible in comparison. I'd rather pay $5 for a bag of chips I know I'll like rather than $5 for a bag of broken over-salted crappy ones!
trudijoy
8375 posts
these are the ones mum got that i tried (product of china, lol) and they're nice, will have to look out the ones you guys are talking of!
shazatron101
5112 posts
OooOh they look yum! theres a white packet as well, I cant remember what they're called (this brand, found them!) but theyre more ... powdery? than a chip. Still nice, I think the flavored ones are better than the plain ones, but the Proper brand ones are by far the best. 

You could eat celery with assorted toppings, but I don't understand how anyone can eat celery and like it lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
i have two crazy japanese flavours of chips atm (I portion them out) but i'll def look into those!

And shaz i know you'll ask... i have intense pickled plum and seaweed and sesame oil flavours
shazatron101
5112 posts
Pickled plum sounds really good! The other... well you know how I feel about seaweed hahahahahaha. But yum! I love portioning things out. 

Popcorn? I hate that the corn kernals get stuck in my teeth though that really drives me up the wall 
JessB
219 posts
Those pancakes are so amazing when I have sweetness cravings (doing low carb and callory counting). To help them stick together I find adding a tablespoon of peanut butter goes a long way.
In terms of snacks I focus on fruit mostly, also I use rye or rice crackers and put avocado or tomato on them.
trudijoy
8375 posts
oooh PB in there would be amazing. Esp if I use the LSA one I tend to buy, lots of extra goodness.

Shaz i like celery sometimes haha. Popcorn i come and go with, it's a bit kernelly, you're right!

Girrrrrl eat the seaweed haha 
trudijoy
8375 posts
also, avocado on errthang.  LOVE it.

i had corn on the cob with dinner last night, and I chopped the leftovers into little corn wheels i can either snack on or have tonight.  i haven't done that for ages, but it's yum, and summer corn is even sweeter <3
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
MissQT I buy canned chickpeas and drain and rinse them...then I dry them off. Put in a bowl and spray with extra virgin olive oil and I usually add garlic and herb or morrocan seasoning. Then pop on an oven tray and bake for about half hour on about 220°. I messed them up the first few times so it is all trial and error :-)
itsclearascrystal
2056 posts
The little packets of Snackaballs I keep in my handbag so if I'm out all day I have a healthier (and quite filling) snack. At home I have rice crackers, litebreads, nuts and seeds, cut up veges and plain popcorn.
trudijoy
8375 posts
omg i forgot about snackaballs, they're amazing. I think I actually have a tub of them in the pantry! *goes to look* haha
trudijoy
8375 posts
yup! PB and Cacao ones. YUM
trudijoy
8375 posts
okay ladies, thanks for the ideas. Just went and bought this weeks array:
- cherries
- mini tomatoes
- tomato and basil rice cakes
- mixed nuts
- lunchbox crackers
- glo hart lollies (because they last ages for one haha)
shazatron101
5112 posts
glo hearts are so gross... what even is their flavor?!? yuck!? hahahahaha ;-P
trudijoy
8375 posts
it's aniseed isn't it?
MareeB
5242 posts
Glo hearts? the wee red rubbery ones????? OMG I haven't seen them for years, they're faaaabulous! They wouldn't last long if I had them.....
trudijoy
8375 posts
that's them Maree! I love them <3 even as a kid they were my go-to candy
shazatron101
5112 posts
are they aniseed? explains why i dont like them hahahah yuuuuuuck. you can has allllll of them lol
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm pretty sure they are aniseed... YAY more for me :p
trudijoy
8375 posts
i'm pretty sure they are aniseed... YAY more for me :p
Macs
5351 posts
I tried giving one of those lollies to my daughter and son and they spit them straight out . 
RamblingRose
1280 posts
After reading through this thread, I tried roasted seaweed for this first time this morning and I was pleasantly surprised.  It wasn't bad, the taste kind of grows on you but I think next time I'll see if I can't find a flavoured one. 

Where do the Auckland / North Shore ladies get their Snackaballs from?  I haven't seen them anywhere and am keen to try some. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
New World, Silvene :) the seaweeds great eh!
RamblingRose
1280 posts
Thanks, Trudi.  I don't usually shop at New World but I may just have to pop in there to see what healthy snacks they have compared to Countdown.
trudijoy
8375 posts
they're usually in with the rest of the bliss ball style snacks, in the muesli bar etc section :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!