Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR . . . it's new phone time

75 posts, 25 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
mine's tried to die on me a couple times, so i'm going to replace it.... but what with?

I'm not necessarily anti iPhone but I really don't get how they're worth so much more money - but I see now the 5s is in a price bracket I'm happy to pay (up to $600 ish I can live with), so i'm considering it.  I've also read good things about the HTC Desire Eye, but it's only really available at the parallel importers, which scares me.

SO what do you have - and do you receommend it?

This is my third Samsung Galaxy phone and all three have been great, but had the same issues in their old age and passed on in the same manner.... i'm ready to move on ;)

I need . . . 

- really good front and back cameras
- clear graphics
- touch screen
- durable and sturdy but not chunky
- extendable memory would be nice - micro SD slot maybe?

I don't care about . . .

- most of the technical stuff :P
shazatron101
5112 posts
I had a Samsung s3 and loved it, and now I have a Samsung s5 and I love that too. All of my selfies are front facing so you can see how "good" the camera is by looking at my awful mug ;-) there is also the beauty filter option on the front facing camera but I have it turned off and only use it if I want to have a laugh and blur my nose into my face. I will be the new Dark Lord ;-) 

the s5 is almost the same as the s3 but you can get more apps, and the s5 has a heart rate thingy under the camera so if you activate the healthy app you can have a play with that. But yeah. Good luck!!
MissQT
1547 posts
 Currently have a Samsung Galaxy (ace I think?) it's very old, like four years old. I've just bought an iPhone but havent actually started using it yet. I got it because it has a good camera, comes in rose gold, has way better features than my current phone (although a lot of other brands would offer the same features), better battery life, and better user functionality (this is personal preference though as I have an iPad and I'm used to the settings, layout, user friendliness etc). I sort of just decided I wanted an iPhone when I next upgraded and didn't really look at any other brands so I'm sure there are lots of other phones that are equally as good. I haven't used it yet though so can't comment any further! 
ladythorn
108 posts
I currently have an S5, I love it & it's been good to me but I find both the front/rear cameras are really crappy. Which isn't good for the selfie game! :P I've just ordered a S7 which should be here in the next few days, can't wait..  especially love the gold one. 
mallomiss
569 posts
I have an S5 too - lusting after the new S7 but I like to wait for reviews before i get the latest model -
I have been considering switching to iphone but I'm not sure, I've never been good at using Apple products but I love the picture quality on them... 
chikoboo
3402 posts
I have the Samsung S6 and have had a variety of different brands in the past but have to say my S6 is the best I have ever used.  Its camera is awesome and outshines my DSLR in some instances.  I have seen the S7 and it hasn't got that much of an improvement that makes me want to rush out and get it to replace my S6.  Would definately recommend a Samsung over some of the other brands but I haven't used HTC so couldnt comparison it.  There is however some comparison sites on the web where you can look at each phone specs side by side to evaluate which is going to be the best for your situation.  I would recommend checking one of those sites out, just type it into Google there is heaps to choose from.  
Pifithrin
1243 posts
I have an iPhone 5s that I bought soon after they first came out. The camera quality is great, especially the back camera. I love the fingerprint sensor and the intuitive functionality. I'm quite biased though as I only use Apple - my work desktop and laptop are both macs, and I have an iPad also. Cases for the 5s are a bit harder to come by now though.

One thing I would recommended is to get the biggest gb storage you can afford, you won't regret it.
Arohas
77 posts
Hello. I was a big iPhone/ipad fans. I brought a Samsung S5 and loved it. Noticed pages swiched quicker, better camera and water resistant. I will be upgrading to the new Samsung 7, never before has a phone screamed to me buy me.
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
I love my S5, that is all. Hahaha good luck in finding the perfect phone for you!
-Bex-
611 posts
I have an iPhone 5s which I have had for over 2 years now and the last few months I have started to loathe it. It's doing the most craziest things and freezes all the time. Don't think I would ever buy another iPhone. The man has one and it's cray cray too. After reading all these comments it's really making me want to buy a Samsung 
Toni-Lee
503 posts
I have the s5 as well and it does everything I need it to.
itsclearascrystal
2055 posts
I usually get whatever the latest S is when I need a new phone. I have the S4 at the moment and fear I may have to update soon. Why do phones have such short lives?
Macs
5351 posts
Ive had my Iphone5 for two years. No problems at all. Ive stuck with Iphone from day 1. If Samsung was smaller I would. I will stick with iphone too if I need to upgrade. Goodluck with your phone search.
Jesse
745 posts
I've had a number of phones over the years - I previously worked in retail sales for Telecom and Telstra so I've tried a number of formats.

I currently have an iphone 6 which I LOVE. Why? Other than it's pretty rose gold backing (squee!) I find Apple's format so user-friendly and you try one iphone, you can use them all. I have nothing against Android phones though this is just personal preference, I used a number of them including the Galaxy when working for Telecom, and my partner has an S4 I'm familiar with and would recommend. My previous phone was an iphone 4 which I had for 4 years and was completely happy with. 

Iphone's don't have external memory which may affect how you feel but the internal memory on the newer models is pretty huge! Good luck phone shopping :)
Kimrose
1416 posts
Hey Trudi, I have always had Galaxys and love them. Currently I have an S4. I have no issues with it and I love that it is the same as my tablet, same operating system etc, so I didnt have to learn anything new...haha. Good luck with your search.
Chaotic82
522 posts
This is great! I need to upgrade - I have an iPhone 5c, its 16gb which I thought would be ok but I have to delete things all the time to make space.  So I really want something with upgradeable memory.  Might be looking into a Samsung
tannygirl
3392 posts
I was looking into buying a new phone last year since I wanted a phone that could take selfies from the front. Luckily my bf at the time was upgrading his phone and gave me his old S3 the battery had a really short life and needed to be charged twice a day till my brother reformated it and now it only needs charging daily or less. It takes better pics than my camera sometimes. But then I don't do any photoshopping or filters so I don't know how well the S3 is for that.
trudijoy
8375 posts
My current phones a galaxy s4 mini.... probably leaning towards the galaxy 5/6 or iphone 5s but still considering HTC desire eye. This all helps; thankyou so much x
Arohas
77 posts
Hello again. I have spoken with 2 companies Re the Samsung new phones and thought you might be interested.
You can't buy the handset outright. You have to buy it on a phone contract. You have to pay for the contract and sign up to pay the phone off over 24 months, there is a option of paying a large deposit to drop the weekly payment. If you already have a contract they add it onto that. One company said after 90 days you can pay off the balance if you don't like the hp type setup.
Not 100% sure the people who were trying to sell me it knew what they were talking about so I left not buying one
mallomiss
569 posts
That's fairly usual with a new release on a high spec phone Arohas - 

I used to work for Spark (was Telecom back then) - what they will be offering is a 24 month contract & the option to have the handset on a deferred payment option. Usually with a 24 month contract you will also get a discount on the handpiece depending on what plan you sign up to. 
The deferred payment is great as they don't charge interest & if you're on contract anyway, then it's no big deal.

The only annoying this is when you want to upgrade within the 24  months like I am now in the situation of. 

I'm stuck with my S5 until AUgust & it's just starting to play up.... 

I'm also looking at changing provider as Spark only offer 2 plans on contract & neither actually suit my needs... 
Arohas
77 posts
Hello mellomiss. Ah so that is the catch. It also showed to me how much we rely on the sales person. One in particular made me quite angry. I was asking for the business I work for (I didn't mention how many handsets he could possibly sell) instead I left not buying any. My network business manager was away. I was wrong in assuming someone else could help.

I hope your phone lasts long enough. Or would it be replaced if it did crash?
Kimrose
1416 posts
Hi Trudi, have you managed to pick a new yet? I have been thinking about you and wondering what you have chosen  :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
My mama got an s7 today - she told me she was going to ages ago. So good for her. It doesn't help you decide but... Well. She likes it! lol ;-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
i haven't yet, Kim :) Getting more and more confused, actually!
trudijoy
8375 posts
currently leaning towards an iphone 5s atm though...
Lutece
1849 posts
Have you decided which one yet babe? :)

I see the quality of the Samsung range is a lot more clearer, I own the Iphone 5s and it works really well
trudijoy
8375 posts
yeah 99% sold on an iphone 5s. I've been with Samsung for ages and getting a little frustrated; from all accounts the iphone 5s is better than the Samsung Galaxy s5 which is in a similar price bracket. I'd love the iPhone 6s just because it's pretty but I think it's too big for popping in my pocket, and it's like twice the price
Shana_Banana84
567 posts
Has anybody tried the Samsung Note 5?  My son smashed my phone screen yesterday during an anxiety attack so unfortunately I must upgrade and get a new one.  I am keen as beans on this one but don't know anyone with one.
Kimrose
1416 posts
Hey Trudi, I heard today that they have released a new iphone. It is a bit smaller than the last ones and a bit cheaper I think, it might be worth a look if you are considering an iphone 5. Good luck!
trudijoy
8375 posts
Kim someone told me that about 5 mins ago... about 2 hours after i bought my 5s haha
trudijoy
8375 posts
And already the tech-shaming has started. God people suck sometimes
Kimrose
1416 posts
I hope you are happy with your choice Trudi, yay, I love new phones!  Have a good Easter :)
shazatron101
5112 posts
Lol really Trudi? It's a phone, how rude of them :/ 
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Before I got my iPhone 6s Plus I had a 5s and loved it. It's a great phone imo. That sucks you're experiencing tech shaming. As a self confessed Apple fan I try to make a point of not dissing other brands. I think all brands have strengths and weaknesses and it's totally personal opinion on what fits your wants and needs better. People that tech shame are lame as. I love technology and hate that superiority complex some people in the community have. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
Yep shaz. Why didnt you get a 6s, why didnt you spring for a real phone etc
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I get mocked for having an iPhone 4 and even got told I had a 'fake iPhone' because of how it looks in its lifeproof case. I am clumsy so I need a sturdy case (and at least my screen has never broken unlike the people who mock me) . Non-iPhone users also have a go but it does not make sense for me to have an android phone when I have an iPad and a MacBook. I didn't want to spend a fortune on my phone when I bought it so I got a 4, not the 5s that had just come out when I got mine. 

So yeah, I would love what you've got Trudi, so no shaming from me. I will probably get the SE later in the year as I want a new camera for my next big trip and found even the iPhone 4 is better than some cameras. 

trudijoy
8375 posts
Jessicka exactly. Its snobbery. I can afford a more expensive phone but that doesnt mean that i personally want or need one.

Soozie i looked at the SE and the rose gold case and slightly better camera would have been nice but the 16GB is going to be more than i paid for my 32GB and i am still sure i chose well for me personally. If all else fails, i'll trade in but i dont think i'll need to
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Not sure how much the SE will actually be here but you are wise to go for larger memory. That is the biggest draw back of iPhones - not being able to add memory. I've become a bit more ruthless about clearing photos off mine lately though. 
Amyxxoo
1155 posts
It's a phone! I can't believe the tech shame! Enjoy your new phone Trudi :)
jessickaxnz
1176 posts
Yup it's definitely snobbery and it's so lame - as long as what you got makes you happy and does what you want it to then that's all that matters! People are so funny to judge something as inconsequential as a phone. I'm always getting hassled for how big my phone is and how stupid it looks. It used to bother me but now I just don't care because I love it and that's all that matters. 
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
The rose gold case would be nice but.....Id still have to put it in an ugly case so I don't smash it lol. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
soozie the thing i read said entry of $750 for a 16 GB.

luckily IG and Fb store pics haha.  I still have my Samsung phone which I'll continue to use as a spare camera/storage etc
trudijoy
8375 posts
jessicka yeah i'll get to that point, at the moment i'm just irritated at the people causing me to have to fight to stay excited about this :/

soozie i got a brushed pink metal case which I like a whole lot :)
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Oh in that case I might get the 5s. They are now about the same price as I paid for my 4. That's about the most I want to pay for a phone. Good luck to the tech shamers who want to pay twice as much!
Rezee
1964 posts
I'm so the opposite of a phone snob lol. I just inherit my partners old ones when he upgrades.  I just wish my tablet had calling capabilities and then I ouldn't even need a phone. Although it may be hard to fit in my pocket!
trudijoy
8375 posts
soozie my 5s was $669 for the 32 GB, the 16 GB was $549. That was at Noel Leemings; Vodafone have pretty much sold out of them. The cheapest of the 6 range was $999 for a 16 GB
shazatron101
5112 posts
Lol pretty sure if it turns on and functions its a real phone. Don't listen to the haters! I know I poke fun of Apple cos I'm personally not a fan but I don't go out of my way to be rude about it :\
trudijoy
8375 posts
Shaz yeah exactly
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I have a Galaxy S4 and it does okay, I love the picture quality on it as I take a lot of pictures for my business and of course the kiddies and all the lush hauls ha ha ha.  To be honest I don't get excited over phones that much, its not that I'm not a tech savvy girl, believe me I am, I guess I just love Lush more he he he.

Ignore all the tech shaming haters or whatever they are called, you bought a phone you wanted because you liked it, enjoy it as you didn't buy it for them you bought if for you.  Have fun playing around with it xx
Arohas
77 posts
Trudijoy that is a shame you experienced that. Odd that people feel that way
I have just hung up the phone from ordering a Samsung and sorting collection. I finally got hold of our business manager. He was so helpful, he also told me he was a apple iPhone fan. Sounds like you made the right choice to me.
Aroha x

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!