Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR ...pillows!!

27 posts, 11 members
trudijoy
8375 posts
the lovely mumof3munchkins was telling me of a magic lavender pillow she bought to help her sleep. I've been putting up with my pillows for too long and my back's been playing up something chronic.

I've mentioned this before but I have a skeletal condition called 'hypermobility', where my spinal vertebrae move too readily and subluxate often (like dislocation but not quite as severe; they come partially out and occasionally get stuck) and it's been pretty rough lately with all the hotels and planes. My manager is sourcing me a better home office setup so that my spine is treated better during the day, but I needed a pillow solution!

I was in the holy land (Kmart) today and picked up a memory foam pillow to try out; I figured for $15 it was worth a shot.

Because I also struggle with insomnia I'll add some lavender oil to the pillow once i replace my bottle as well.

The question is..... what do you sleep on as far as pillows go? Are you a fan of the soft, the firm, the feather, no pillow at all.....?

For me I can sleep on damn near anything once I GET to sleep, it's the waking up in the morning that causes me pain in my neck and spine.
MissQT
1547 posts
hopefully that new pillow helps you Trudi! I love kmart too! 

I personally like like my pillows to be on the flat side and I like them to be soft. I have a feather pillow but il not overly fussy with that. I could sleep on a couple of towels folded up if I had to. I hate pillows that are too puffy.
Lisa-Lou
2679 posts
I hate hard pillows and flat pillows. Mine is so soft and squishy and I love it. I have 5 on my bed and use the same one every night. I tried a bambillo once and it was too high for me and didn't seem to mould into my head well. Hope the new pillow helps!
trudijoy
8375 posts
I'm all about firmer pillows, in Japan I liked the ones full of soba (buckwheat)! I'm hopeful the memory foam will work for me, there are like 6 pillows on that bed right now and none are right
Macs
5351 posts
I love pillows. I have a feather pillow from Briscoes. I have a slightly firmer one underneath. The was a pillow spray I wanted try suggested by Kirstyj a while before mumofthree had discussed pillows, just forgot the brand name. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oh yay that is awesome Trudi, so glad you got one, hopefully this will end all the soreness and pain.  Let me know how you get on.

When we were at the Women's Expo, they had the Bambillo pillows on special and Mum was eyeing one up, they were $40 each.  Mum was about to get one and then an acquainance came up told her she got hers cheaper on a sale awhile back and told her she would be able to get it cheaper.  We still haven't found one and my Mum is still getting bad sleep, I was so not impressed.  So if she can't find one, I will get her and my Dad one as they both have trouble with sleep.  

I like my pillows to be soft but not too soft that they don't give any support.  I prefer the pillows that mold to your head shape and when you move it just naturally moves as you do.
kirstyj
1732 posts
That would be the "This Works" pillow spray Macs :) it is sold at Mecca and I still love it. It has lasted me ages as well!!! Although I don't use it every night, just those nights where your brain is going a million miles an hour and you can't turn it off. 

Totally agree with you Trudi, travel isn't doing my back any favours either! My pillow at home is also a bit worse for wear. But I like a thin pillow, soft but don't want to sink all the way through. Don't get me started on the pillows from Japan!!!! As much as I want to go back it isn't for the pillows :S
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Oooh kirstyj I like the sound of that spray. I usually just put a few drops of lavender essential oil in a water spray bottle for sleep or sometimes eucalyptus, rosemary and peppermint for headaches and colds.  Might have to hunt that one down and see what its like.

Can you buy online as I don't have a Mecca here?
kirstyj
1732 posts
Yup. I'm pretty sure I bought mine online from Mecca. Here we go

Here
SandyGedge
394 posts
I hope the Kmart pillow works for you. I prefer an in between pillow...semi hard yet soft and plump. I havnt had a good sleep in over a year now...am willing to try anything but I know for me it's simply my mind....

I had a delayed reaction to narcotics and stopped breathing twice while in recovery from surgery. Both times i was asleep. They actually couldn't believe how I didn't have any brain damage due to lack if oxygen and how I didn't die (I was on deaths bed when they found me)

Even though I know it won't happen again...i can't help but worry therefore leading to horrible sleeps....see it's all in my mind now...

I'm going to look into these beautiful aromatherapy jeweller that mumof3munchkins is talking about. Lavender might help...
trudijoy
8375 posts
one night in, and i slept like a dream. That WAS a Saturday night and I was late to bed after the rugby so reserving judgment, but so far so good.

I'm going to look out some of that sleep spray, Kirsty!
Julieal
915 posts
Hopefully the new pillow helps Trudie - I tried a  Bambillo pillow and hated it as it was too high and hard.If a pillow is too high I get a still neck so prefer a medium to soft and a spray with Lavender is also helpful.Lavender pillows are lovely but of course the lavender wears out so a fresh spray each night achieves a better result long term.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yay, glad the new pillow worked Trudi!

With two neck injuries, I am on a never ending search for the perfect pillow. I've tried bamboo pillows (the 'authentic' ones and the discount store version) and memory foam (slept on one for a week in an Air BnB and loved it, got my own, not so much). My osteopath recommended a down pillow with a high percentage of duck down which I am currently using. Stupidly expensive at $100 in the sale at Briscoes but it has been worth it so far. I've had it a few months now and still loving it. It's soft and fluffy like having your head on a cloud but feels firm and moulds around you at the same time. When you plump it up it bounces back like memory foam does. I've even managed to sleep on my side a few times and gotten away with it. Due to the injuries I have to sleep on my back. It also helps put things back into alignment overnight. 

For travelling, I have I a little square memory pillow with a head shape dent moulded into it, that I picked up in Spotlight. This proved invaluable when I was travelling in Cuba where foam chip pillows (like we had in then 1970s) are still a thing. I either used it on its own or underneath the provided pillow to give it more oomph. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
oh god i forgot the foam chunk ones, I slept on those at nanas in my childhood and they were so lumpy!

I'm a 'lots of pillows' person when I'm getting to a point where sleep is possible, but only need one good one to sleep on.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Yes, they were totally staying at nanas or at the bach pillows lol. Oh and I'm another non fan of the Japanese buckwheat pillows. My mum loved them. 
trudijoy
8375 posts
i think for me bc so many of my homestays had the soba pillows they're associated with me connecting with Japan? I always feel a touch more 'proper Japanese experience' with them, but I haven't slept on them longer than a few nights in about 20 years
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Sleeping on the floor for four years was enough of a proper Japanese experience for me without adding those pillows into the mix lol. 
Charmmy-Kitty
639 posts
The deep sleep pillow spray sounds so cool! 

I've never tried a memory foam pillow or a soba pillow, but I have remember using one of my mum's pillows that was filled with some sort of wheat or even rice. It was super dense but also molded around my head. 
Macs
5351 posts
Thanks for giving me the name Kirstyj. I can add that to my Mecca wishlist .
trudijoy
8375 posts
I got the pillow spray! I went to Maxima and they don't stock it so if you're looking in store Macs I got it at Mecca Cosmetica in Ponsonby. They have a baby version as well.

So far so good, I've had two amazing sleeps, but I'm not sure if it's the spray yet. We'll see! It does leave a faint 'dry herb' smell in the morning but is nice to lay my head on at night :)
Macs
5351 posts
That spray is at the top of my list. Thanks for letting me know. 
MareeB
5241 posts
Thanks Trudi. That sounds like something I'd be interested  in - anything to try and get a good sleep!
trudijoy
8375 posts
it was kirstyj's top tip Maree not mine, I'm just trying it out! :)
MareeB
5241 posts
Oh! I'm keen to try it anyway, so thanks everyone :)
kirstyj
1732 posts
Glad the spray might be working for you Trudi! I reckon with things like that even if it is just the placebo effect of doing something it has to be good if you are getting good results.

This is reminding me ... I really need to go get a new pillow. Mine is so flat at the moment and it really isn't doing its job.
trudijoy
8375 posts
Totally recommend the $15 Kmart memory foam pillow I got!
trudijoy
8375 posts
And yeah i agree re the placebo but I'll take it :)

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!