Vault

Max value reached

Adding this item would put you over your total vault limit of $250. please review your cart to stay under the limit.

NBR - Awake and Nervous - KIDS BACK TO SCHOOL

30 posts, 11 members
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Morning lovelies, not sure if anyone else is awake but I totally can't sleep. It's 5.44 a.m. and I am feeling a tad nervous for my middle munchkin as it is his first day at Intermediate today eek. 

Anyone else get this feeling when one of their munchkins sets off on a new milestone adventure?

When I was in school (oh so many years ago) back in the UK I was lucky because all my friends went with me from junior, middle and then senior school, then off to high school. In the UK we don't have intermediate and we start high school at 11 not 13.

But I guess I'm nervous because Munchkin #2 is going to a school where all he knows is his brother. I feel just as nervous than if it were me starting school ha ha ha omg.

Anyhoo I know it is not beauty related but just wanted to see if I'm not the only Mummy that feels this way. Come at me coffee lol.
lifeissupa
35 posts
School strts 2mro for my big girl. I moved just after xmas. So new school and she knows no one.

Hope your morning goes well. And your kids have a mean as day. Do update on how #2 day went.
shazatron101
5112 posts
I was awake but for a different reason :-p regardless i hope all the kiddies going back to school have an awesome day. They'll make friends fast enough, i know i did when we moved regions. They'll be a-okay :-)
trudijoy
8375 posts
not a mummy but a teacher with oodles of experience with 10 - 18 year olds in particular.

As long as your kid goes in and is themselves they'll find their tribe :) Kids tend to look after the new kid and they soon find their grooves.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
lifeissupa - Ahhh a new school and a new move, hope your little one settles in quickly. I remember immigrating to New Zealand just before my 13th birthday and it was horrible. I didn't know anyone in the country let alone the school. Having the support and love of my family helped me get through it as well as the super helpful teachers. I soon made friends.

shazatron - Awwww you should have messaged me on Facebook, we could have been wide awake together lol.

trudioy - Yes I told him to just be himself, problem is when he gets nervous he acts like a muppet, bit like his Mum ha ha ha.  I'm just hoping his big brother looks out for him, but I'm sure he will and he'll be fine. He hated the school uniform and said he looked stupid. I said it was okay because the whole school is wearing the same thing ha ha ha.

shazatron101
5112 posts
haha sarah i wish i hadve known! lucky for me i fell back to sleep pretty quickly, even in this heat!
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Also at my school we spend a lot of time making sure kids transition into 'big school' as smoothly as possible. A lot of work goes on behind the scenes before they even arrive. Our new year 9s start tomorrow and have a whole day of activities to help them settle in. We then have another day of activities in whanau groups (like the old 'houses') on Thursday when the rest of the students arrive. Most schools do this these days. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
That is so cool worldofsooziewong, that is a great way of easing them into it.

All the kids had a good day so that was a relief. Munchkin #2 is the one that I was mainly concerned about but he said it was okay. He made 5 friends today, he's such a social bug, so I'm not surprised. But then I asked if he was excited about going to school tomorrow and he was like not really ha ha ha. He'll get used to it and he'll soon blend in.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
Haha if you asked me if I wanted to go to school tomorrow, my answer would be pretty much the same lol. 
Macs
5351 posts
Yes today was an expensive day todayI mean week.  I just got all their  new boxes , bag, snacks etc.  Will be paying fees tommorow. Their looking forward to going. Thankfully Im not starting work that early I should be able to catch them. 

Hope childrens day goes well. 

(Ive just finished my night shift hence my late posts .

Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ahhhh yes fees lol, not looking forward to seeing the bills for those especially as the two oldest go to a private school and all three of them also have camps coming up in March too ahhhh. Extremely grateful that the school let you spread payments over the year phew lol.
trudijoy
8375 posts
that transition in is really common soozie, eh - and such a fabulous way for the Year 9 (or 7 in a 7 - 10 or 7 - 13) to get used to things.

Ah school fees/uniforms etc...so much money. As a former teacher I know how many useful things the fees pay for that aren't covered by the money schools are allocated by the govt, but i can imagine it's a lot to find all at once!
Julieal
915 posts
Always a hard time for Mums -Hope all goes well -First Day at schoold is a biggie XXX

shazatron101
5112 posts
my old high school have stopped the voluntary fees this year, i think that's pretty darn awesome myself
trudijoy
8375 posts
I saw that Shaz and had two thoughts... cool but what have they cut to achieve that? // wouldn’t be feasible everywhere. Sad but true: there isn’t enough cash allocated to schools for what community demands on them are - but half the community doesn’t want to pay either
shazatron101
5112 posts
No, i guess its a state school and a poor(ish) community, so they'll manage. Definitely not going to happen in private schools or schools in richer areas, but its a nice step in a good direction I think.
lifeissupa
35 posts
Well im super happy here. Tay had a amazing day made 3 new friends. Brought home a camp form/letter for which is in a months time and cant wait to go back 2mro.

*happy dance*
bronjenks
253 posts
Awww, thats great he made some freinds.  As you know, I work in a High School as well and I can concur that a lot of work is done behind the scenes to make the newbies feel comfortable.  We had our powhiri today and it was so cool to see all the new kiddies coming in, all wide eyed and not sure about what to expect but after a few activities, kai (have to have food lol) and time with their whanau group they came back into assembly this arvo looking much more settled.  He will be fine, and you will wonder what all the fuss was about in no time xx.
Toni-Lee
503 posts
My daughter's first day of intermediate was yesterday. She's been looking forward to it for weeks. So that calmed my nerves and wasn't worried 1 bit. She has a lot of friends from primary that are there as well so that helped a lot.
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
I love how teachers put out all this support to the kids. The teachers have been good with Riley aka Munchkin #2, taking him to his classes until he can understand his timetable. Far out, is it me or is school so much more intense than when we went. You need a degree just to understand the timetable ha ha ha.  He said he was starting to get the hang of it and it wasn't as confusing so that is good. He has his oldest brother to help him. They seem to be getting closer too, a little bit of brother bonding, super cute.

Munchkin #1 came home with an assignment already, like wowsers they don't mess around when they get to high school do they lol. Was good sitting down with him and going through it with him though and he seemed to enjoy it. 

Munchkin #3 had a good day until the teacher played a song that was played at her Nana's funeral last year so the tears came pouring out bless her. She was a wee bit of a silly sausage though because she didn't explain to the teacher why she was crying so the teacher carried on playing it. It was Ed Sheeran Thinking Out Loud which was my favourite song until she passed and I can't listen to it now without crying either omg.

But anyhoo, so glad to hear that all your kiddies that have been back to school are having good days and starting to settle in.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have a degree and I don't understand our school's timetable. It's  changed for the second year in a row. Some lessons are 50 minutes, some are 60 etc. For a couple of years we didn't have bells. That was interesting. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ha ha ha I have a degree too and I'm like WTH does that mean lol. I'm like speak english please. The abbreviations give me headaches, but luckily the kids pick it up pretty quickly. Although I was able to figure one out - HED. My son was like 'I can't figure out what this is', and I'm like woop woop Mum with a degree here, 'It is Health Education' and he's like 'Ahhhh that makes sense' lol.
SooziesWorld
2999 posts
I have to colour code my timetable and planner to have any chance of working out who I'm teaching next. Even then I'm surprised at who turns up, lol, especially if I'm teaching more than one class at the same year level. 
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Ba ha ha that is so funny, I used to colour code my timetable at school when I was a kid. 
lifeissupa
35 posts
Bronjenks hope i got that right. Far be hardout been a teacher. Your school sounds great. What a awesum set up good way for all kids to settle in
k3r1pakai
1185 posts
Heya so school starting back imo I'd prefer school to start later in February. Anyway my three little ones started back yesterday my son changed high schools so he had orientation yesterday and today was his first day and finally last to begin is my girl tomorrow that's a total of two year 10s, a year 4, year3& year 2. Finally I started back at school today with intermediate teaching in Senco and Te Reo an interesting day with year 8s being the big buddies and year 7s with a flutter of emotions mostly excitement. A whole 1200 kids all at school. The rain was welcomed and unwelcomed it poured down today and while it made it a tad more bare able the wetness was not pleasant and we all came home wet. Schools infrastructures aren't at all laid out well. But now with any new additions they have to be twin cells open learning environment which will make things all in that one building. Kind of okay I would hope one day we adapt to the American style of structure with their buildings and cafeterias. This sitting outside to eat or stay in your class when it rains is old school. Anyway back to rambling. Have the teenager in the kitchen making lunches for all six of us and I'm currently sitting online with my feet up.
My 6 y old started a fresh school this year and I was way more worried than her haha she has been fine so far
Hard getting into a routine again tho
bronjenks
253 posts
lifeissupa, thank you, I gotta say, it is a great and very supportive school.  :-)
Julieal
915 posts
Hope all went well Mum of 3
Mumof3Munchkins
2718 posts
Yes it did thanks Julieal xx

The 3 Munchkins survived their first week back to school ha ha ha

WELCOME TO NZ'S BIGGEST BEAUTY GUIDE!

READ AND WRITE REVIEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE (or not so favourite!) PRODUCTS!

Sign up to receive our newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest happenings here at Beauty Review!

You'll be the first to know about Trial Teams, Vault restocks and Giveaways.

We promise never to spam you - only to share the best in NZ beauty!

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE MAILING LIST!